Author Topic: Announcement of closure.  (Read 15529 times)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Announcement of closure.
Due to lack of progress and manpower, I am hereby discontinuing The Apocalypse Project, inclusive with the request that there be no further resurrection "attempts" after this.

Due to circumstances relating to the IP used, including effects, textures and models acquired from Relic's Homeworld 1 and 2, there will be no mod dump nor any sort of a "release".

The story and its rights default back to DarkKnight, per our verbal agreement ages ago, and it is upon him to decide what to do with the story rights.

Music is not releaseble, due to the fact that i cannot contact Asprin anymore and the licencing status was never made clear.

Some backgrounds (skyboxes) we were using are not Relic's property, but from PyroMX. Should he so desire, i/we will release them as well.

For those of you who had public repository access or any other sort of access to the project files, i would like to ask you to not spread any of the files to the wide public in any way.

Our legacy of note for the engine are the following: Homeworld style Hyperspace jumps and the Team Colors feature.

Both are currently availible in the base FSO engine, therefore not reliant on data from our Project.

To all past and current members of the Project, thank you for all your years of help and thank you all for sticking through with me to the bitter end.
Also, many thanks to Swantz for hosting our SVN repo and HLP for hosting us overall.

The only thing released will be 4 animated effects i have made explicitly for TAP, availible from this link, released under the following licence:
Also as a thanks to Matththegeek for reminding me, have 4 models made by me, under the same licence as above: link
the models contained herein are: Hiigaran Interceptor, Assault Frigate, Ion Cannon Frigate, Carrier. All are untextured and need a UV map first.

A huge thank you to everyone involved over the many years, from the Project Lead, pecenipicek :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:09:16 pm by pecenipicek »
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Re: Announcement of closure.
It's a pity man. Cheers.

It's been an honor to be even a small part of this. Salut.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well this is a bummer. :(

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, dang. BTW, I'm sure Asprin was around not a long time ago. If he's the same one who made B4: The Minbari Project/B5: TGOS, then perhaps he could be contacted by other means.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well, dang. BTW, I'm sure Asprin was around not a long time ago. If he's the same one who made B4: The Minbari Project/B5: TGOS, then perhaps he could be contacted by other means.
if you can get in contact with him about it, you can ask him about the music.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
TGOS was developed by a Russian indie studio called "Open Space Softworks". IIRC, Asprin is the head of that. Unfortunately, the most I could find about them is a not really active Twitter channel. There might be more info on Russian sites, but I can't even read Cyrillic, so I'm helpless there. The only person on HLP I knew for certain was Russian was Asprin himself.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
TGOS was developed by a Russian indie studio called "Open Space Softworks". IIRC, Asprin is the head of that. Unfortunately, the most I could find about them is a not really active Twitter channel. There might be more info on Russian sites, but I can't even read Cyrillic, so I'm helpless there. The only person on HLP I knew for certain was Russian was Asprin himself.
well, thats that then :)

Offline Pyro MX

• Frenadian
    • Pyro MX's Art
I only wish I could've put more time into the project, especially since I've been pretty much absent in the past few years. However, I did enjoy the more active years of TAP and despite the project's closure, it was a quite a good and enjoyable learning experience. Like pecenipicek mentioned, I happened to make some graphical assets over the course of the project. I didn't have time (yet) to go trough all of them, but feel free to contact me or pece if you are interested in them.

pecenipicek, it takes a lot of force and courage to lead a project like this and even more to come to this conclusion. I haven't been there to support you in the past few years, and I do feel guilty about it. However, if it can be of any comfort, you did a quite outstanding job keeping it up all this time. To the TAP team, best of luck to all of you and your future endeavors.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
 :(
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Due to circumstances relating to the IP used, including effects, textures and models acquired from Relic's Homeworld 1 and 2, there will be no mod dump nor any sort of a "release".

:wtf: What were you planning on doing come release then?

I highly doubt there will be any legal ramifications from releasing abandonware assets for non-profit with the understanding that they are in fact not made by the converters.

I don't have much of a personal stake in this, but I have the understanding that a lot of work was put into converting and tabling the assets into a workable state for the fs2 engine. It's a real pity to see all that work go to the dogs.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

:wtf: What were you planning on doing come release then?

I highly doubt there will be any legal ramifications from releasing abandonware assets for non-profit with the understanding that they are in fact not made by the converters.

I don't have much of a personal stake in this, but I have the understanding that a lot of work was put into converting and tabling the assets into a workable state for the fs2 engine. It's a real pity to see all that work go to the dogs.
For the release part, please go find and read one of the two interviews we've made here. Should explain it nicely.

As for the time spent... not really. the biggest work was figuring out a viable conversion pipeline. having done pretty much all of the conversions myself, i can tell you that that is the one thing on which i spent the least amount of time.

i've spent more time debugging (and learning to read) our shaders, hunting down some bugs in the code with the E, writing up the initial team colors implementation, faffing around with our lua mainhall and trying to get tables balanced into something more decently playable. (and that was never worked out properly anyhow.)

I still stand by my decision as it also prevents anyone foolhardy to try and ressurect this mod. Unless someone exceptional shows up and shows me their work and amazes me, the files are not going out. And my wish is that this project ends, once and for all. No more ressurections, no more half-assed attempts.

I only wish I could've put more time into the project, especially since I've been pretty much absent in the past few years. However, I did enjoy the more active years of TAP and despite the project's closure, it was a quite a good and enjoyable learning experience. Like pecenipicek mentioned, I happened to make some graphical assets over the course of the project. I didn't have time (yet) to go trough all of them, but feel free to contact me or pece if you are interested in them.
I've backed up all the stuff from svn and from our FTP, so if you dont have the originals, if you want i can add them here, under whichever license you'd want :p

pecenipicek, it takes a lot of force and courage to lead a project like this and even more to come to this conclusion. I haven't been there to support you in the past few years, and I do feel guilty about it. However, if it can be of any comfort, you did a quite outstanding job keeping it up all this time. To the TAP team, best of luck to all of you and your future endeavors.
Thank you. You were one of the reasons why i took over in 2007. Talking with you inspired me, seeing your work on Tanis made me go "**** yeah, we can do this!".
DarkKnight's story and design documents were beautiful
Matththegeek is another person who i can thank for helping me get stuff properly rolling to something playable. Without his help converting models from HW2, i'd get nowhere. His modding expertise from the realm of HW2 was tons of help.
The E was a massive, massive help from the code side. He enabled so many glorious things that i dont know what can i even say to properly describe what his joining to the project did.

However, it was not enough.
Through all of our recruiting drives, i've been faced with lazy modellers, unreachable/nonexistent texture artists, moochers who just wanted to grab the files and the hard work behind them while screaming "DIS SO AWSUM!!!1111", lack of fredders with more experience than making a BoE mission and saying "TIZ AWSUM! TAKE ME IN! TAKE ME IN!" (with a few exceptions).

Over the years, real life took its toll, both on myself and on other people involved. I've changed. It's been glorious 5 years of trying to make it work. I've learned many, many things from scratch.
Yes, i've invested myself in this project heavily. But when you end up being the one holding all the threads together and trying to keep up with making new things to replace old things, it all becomes a bit too much.

And with some things coming up in real life for myself in real life, it was time to definitely call it a day. I've tried. I've done a lot of good things and a lot of bad things. I've drawn people to this mod and i drove them away. To some i was a bastard and an immature idiot at times.

Do i feel bad about not releasing anything? Of course. I feel horrible. But i also feel good. Its over. And to everyone involved, thank you so very much for sticking with me during the past 5 years and good luck with all your future endeavours.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:13:59 pm by pecenipicek »

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken