Author Topic: Freespace Port 2.3 Released!  (Read 18242 times)

Freespace Port 2.3 Released!
Nope, didnt work, still the same problem, this is the only mod i have installed, and all de VP files are on my freespace 2 folder...any ideas???

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
games\freespace2\?

Put them in:

games\freespace2\data\  

and try again?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Nop...the same problem, i put all the FSPort VP files on freespace2\data but its the same...btw im using the latest build of FS_Open,...Alpha_Monkey, what did you do to make it work?? Thanks for the help so far!

Fileplanet appears to no longer have the files associated with the conversion...can somebody mirror them somewhere? I'm finally getting a playable copy again courtesy of BitTorrent; hard to believe I still have my original discs.

Yes, I checked the mirror at the top of the page; it doesn't work.

EDIT: Apparently, FP simply doesn't list them, and only the links on the "Downloads" page work. Morons.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 07:54:53 pm by 370 »

Offline dizzy

• http://dizzy.roedu.net
What ? I have to register with FilePlanet ? Oh no, sorry, but I will NEVER do that.

So if someone can provide me with a working link not requiring registration whould be great. Also I will mirror the files on a working link that does not require registration.

Offline CaptJosh

Are you already registered with Gamespy? If so, you already have a fileplanet login.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline dizzy

Nope, sorry... I don't want to sound like a whining kid but I have this rule that free downloads should not require any registration (obviously I have nothing against ads on such download sites, but displaying ads AND requiring payed registration or even free registration is more than I can stand for :)).

I can even setup a FTP access for upload if you have those files and wish to help. As I promised I will mirror them after that. So if someone wants to upload them please give me a private message and I'll reply with the upload information.

Thanks!

Edit: I noticed that The Babylon Project offers their files with a bittorrent tracker at  http://www.tbp-bt.com/ . Couldn't this files be published there too ? Not only that I get a > 200Kbytes/s download rate (heh) but bittorrent is the ideal way to distribute large files as it distributes the bandwidth usage with the peers. Of course you should also keep the old links too (if they are working that is).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 02:31:17 pm by 3008 »

Offline dizzy

Ok... seems that tbp (huh, The Babylon Project, figures) is mostly for them. I do not know if they are OK to host other project files too (in the end is jsut a tracker is not like doing something very resource consuming). But if the answer is NO I will host a tracker! Well maybe not with nice webpages to manage the trackers but with a simple and functional page linking to the torrent files and the tracket itself (and seeding of course!).

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Where can I get fsport2_3.zip and all other files?
I am trying to download FSPort 2.3 from Fileplanet and from the mirror shown (www.sectorgame.com) and it's impossible.

Can somebody tell me where and how I can download this mod?
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
If you have a FilePlanet login then you can download it from FilePlanet.  If it's not working, try again in an hour or so.  FilePlanet can be tempermental sometimes.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Thank you. I have just logged in with fake identity, (I hate giving my id for public downloads), and now I can get the files through the links in FSPort web.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Okay, just installed the files (retail version) and I'm having trouble. When I start the first mission, it puts me in a Ulysses which can't equip anything. I'm almost certain I have all the required files, so I can't see what the issue is, unless having Derelict also installed would cause a problem.

EDIT: I have no idea why, but it suddenly worked. Weird.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 10:55:15 pm by 370 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Boct1584
unless having Derelict also installed would cause a problem.
It would, since Derelict comes before FSPort2_3 in the alphabet and therefore is loaded first.

Offline dizzy

Ok... By the good will of some other fsport user I have now the fsport .vp files. I would like to mirror them (as promised). However, I would like to have a confirmation of the files to be original first so I don't mirror some bogus files, here are a list of MD5 checksums on my files:

d7d87de21f89d86bfd2a89c4adf371b4  fsport2_3.vp
9cca931a15d0c53fd47ae0e75dd019b3  fsport_glow.vp
5a7f76cab6c9350819ae7ad706363f84  fsport_hi-res.vp
43727c2b55895bcc789ef92e8b966e70  fsport_shine.vp
5b405431be2c476a6fec0607fe0e2e28  sparky_hi_fs1.vp
5fc56b02fa454d60dd9ba423309776fe  stu_fs1.vp
38213b6f6222b2e94fc12ee9e36dd588  tango_fs1.vp
b849bbee619fc3a28ebe6ce7710a8063  warble_fs1.vp

Can someone confirm this ? Thanks!

Offline dizzy

Oh well, seems I'm talking to myself arround here. So I have played a little bit and the files seem fine.

BITTORRENT MIRROR for FSPORT 2.3: http://dizzy.roedu.net:30000/
(use that in your browser and from there you should be able to download the torrent files and use them in your torrent client)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks. :) It's been added to the first post.

Dizzy, thanks for the BT mirror, worked like a charm.  Fast and easy!  Just how I like my... Freespace mods....

Offline Flex

Spam: Just to say thinks for the torrent dizzy provided and very VERY big thanks fot the mod... I really enjoyed going back through all the story :)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's not spam to say thanks.  I'm sure dizzy appreciates it. :) You're welcome. :)

Offline dizzy

heh, wow, had no idea that little torrent will be so successful. I had my share of FilePlanet trouble but I was sure was probably because my exotic setups (Firefox, Linux, no account, etc). The intend to have it as a torrent was because if more people download it at the same time it shares the bandwidth. It doesnt seem to be the case with fsport so I could switch it to ftp/http (a lot more accessible to a lot more people than torrent) if enough people complain about it :)

Another thing I can do is mirror other projects arround here. I see TBP have their own torrent which works quite fine (gave me the torrent idea for fsport in the first place) but if any other project needs megabytes of torrent hosting just ask and I will add them (I sadly saw for example a lot of older campaigns from the campaign list maintained by a forumer that are not accessible anymore for download... :( ).