Author Topic: .wav, .ani, and persona.  (Read 1252 times)

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
.wav, .ani, and persona.
Alright I understand the .wav and .ani fields, but with these filled in, what does the persona field actually do?  :confused:
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: .wav, .ani, and persona.
Looks like a way to keep messages from fighters and bombers to be the same for the built in messages the same as the ones in the message editor.  Not really sure though.  Best guess would be that if you set say Gamma 1 to persona x in the ships editor then all you need to do in the message editor is set the same persona for the message to get the same built in ani.    Just a guess though.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
If that is true, then which field overrides the other? the ani or the persona?
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Well this is what the docs say:

Persona indicates which "character" is speaking. It corresponds to the the personas set in the Ships Editor, and also allows choices like Support Ship. Pick whichever one is appropriate. When you pick a new built-in wave file or click on Update Stuff, the ANI File and Persona are both updated to the correct values for that wave file. If a fighter or bomber is going to send such a message, set the persona in the Ships Editor to match so that chatter messages will have the same face and voice.

So it looks like whenever you set a ani file in the event editor for a particular persona and then hit update stuff it will give the random messages for any ship with that persona the same ani file and voice.  I understand how the ani file would be useful but how it tries to to implement the voice I don't know. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
I think you're right. Thanks!  :)