Author Topic: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!  (Read 109221 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!
:yes:
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

I'm not sure if anyone is still updating the FSPort project, but is there any news of adding the new HD Apollo model into the MediaVPs proper?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
There's a new MediaVPs release so, yes, I'm on it.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
There's also the new Scarab Vasudan Support ship.  That should be included too.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Nice, great to hear!

sorry to be a thicko but just wanted to check.

background:

I've just bought the steam version of the game (still have the original CDs & manual, etc,  but they just take so long to install from). It had 30% off in the steam sale, so I went for that instead of GOG, and of course I've still got the manual.

I've used the FS2.reg file and that fixed the "Freespace2/Fred2 cannot be run from a drive root directory!" error message (just saying if a search on this error hits this post).

I'm currently using knossos 0.12.3 to manage stuff (I like the way you can uninstall mods and browse for them more easily than with the java mod installer, though that's been my go-to system for years).

I'm installing freespace port using knossos

Knossos has already installed fsopen 3.8.

I'm currently installing mediaVP 3.8

I noted and ticked the checkbox for legacy EDIT: tilemaps support.

my question:

Do i still need 3.7.2 mediaVP configured for freespace port or will it be able to use the mediaVP 3.8 files?

So, thanks in advance for any replies and, seriously, thanks to this wonderful community too. I'm nearly 46 and had my gaming hayday really with the likes of freespace 2, xwing alliance, etc. I was i think about 8 years old when elite was released (and i was playing that on a BBC model B)! I love space games/sims and it's fabulous that you collectively are still supporting freespace 2.

Cheers,

Gary
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 06:48:52 pm by gazzawazza »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks for your interest, and the kind words!

The MediaVPs 3.8 were released only a few days ago, and most mods, including FSPort, have not yet been adapted to work with it.  There may be incompatibilities or conflicts with the new version, so we need to thoroughly test and check for any warnings, errors, or unexpected behavior.  Most mods need to do this, and FSPort is one of the more complex mods.

TLDR: You will still need to use FSPort MediaVPs 3.7.2 and MediaVPs 3.7.2 for the time being.  We will make a new post when we release an update.

Thanks for your interest, and the kind words!

The MediaVPs 3.8 were released only a few days ago, and most mods, including FSPort, have not yet been adapted to work with it.  There may be incompatibilities or conflicts with the new version, so we need to thoroughly test and check for any warnings, errors, or unexpected behavior.  Most mods need to do this, and FSPort is one of the more complex mods.

TLDR: You will still need to use FSPort MediaVPs 3.7.2 and MediaVPs 3.7.2 for the time being.  We will make a new post when we release an update.

Thanks for the super quick reply.

I'll pull down the 3.7.2 MediaVPs for both then.

I tried running with the 3.8 ones and got:

"Error: game_settings.tbl(line 2):"
"Error: Missing required token: [#END]. Found [$Target Version:] instead"

there was a reference to ""parselo.cpp" too

I fixed this with the 20 August 2018 nightly build.

However, on reflection, I'd prefer i think to roll with the stable engine and relevant MediaVP, so will revert.

config switches:

Any tips on config switches that don't work properly on 3.7.2 (e.g.  lighting on missiles, 3d shockwaves, etc - just as examples, not because I've had issues)?

Shall i just go with the default switches?

Thanks,

Gary

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I would recommend hopping on HLP's IRC or Discord servers (see the top navbar) and asking for people's opinions on recommended settings.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
The two settings I know still work that I always set are

- disabling emissive light from ships

- setting the ambient factor to 0

It gives you a lot of emphasis on the weapon, engine, and shield effects.

If your computer can handle it, the frame buffer shockwaves, thrusters, and soft particles look great. 3D shockwaves as  well.

I cant remember what other old command line lighting features still work with the new renderer though (they mostly messed with specularity on OpenGL).
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

thank you both.

great tips.

Sorry (god i'm such a noob) - can i +1 posts and if so, how?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
We don't need none o' that newfangled social media stuff here.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

+1 for that. ;)

+1 for that. ;)

don't encourage him to be more grumpy

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
You don't have to integrate social media stuff to have  up / down + offtopic voting on the forums (see: Subnautica forums, I believe they use Vanilla?)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
We specifically made the decision not to integrate that sort of plugin onto HLP.  There is a plugin available for SMF; we just don't use it.

Only because it's technical possible doesn't mean that it is good.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I can report that the FSPort MediaVPS currently has an issue with the  MediaVPS 3.8's Leviathan.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
What's wrong?  I manually installed the new Leviathan when it was released so I had to overcome a few issues with it.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I did a clean install using Knossos just for testing. The model is not loaded.

Fixing it manually will probably work. I was just reporting an out-of-the-box issue, I suspect there may be more. For the record, I did install the legacy-VP of the new MediaVPS too.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.