Author Topic: Baru Cormorant Infiltration Station  (Read 39636 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Baru Cormorant Infiltration Station
I haven't made time for that yet (and maybe I'm better off sitting it out too), but I did get related-linked to your discussion with Max Gladstone, whom I wasn't familiar with before but seems like an awesome guy.  The article about the blurbs he sent in for you was really fun.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
I received my copy this morning. Fifty pages in and it was hell to tear myself away. I am the polar opposite of disappoint and will write a more in depth review once I have the time. A++ job, Seth.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I've got a story up on Tor.com today, Please Undo This Hurt.

I wasn't really pulled in by the first 95% of that story, but the last part of it was a fascinating concept.  Sort of like "The Monkey's Paw" or "Button, Button" but going in a different direction.  I think you could get more mileage out of that.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!

^
                                          The first half of

and God DAMN, but this is everything I haven't even known I wanted in my low fantasy, for years and years.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
That story was deeply unsettling to me. It cuts a little too close to what my thoughts look like during depressive phases to be comfortable reading; it is definitely a story I will recommend, but probably never ever reread.

So I am/was very interested to read this. But I'm currently battling with my own demons, and not necessarily winning. Is this something I should save for when I'm in a better place?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
That story was deeply unsettling to me. It cuts a little too close to what my thoughts look like during depressive phases to be comfortable reading; it is definitely a story I will recommend, but probably never ever reread.

So I am/was very interested to read this. But I'm currently battling with my own demons, and not necessarily winning. Is this something I should save for when I'm in a better place?
Just to be clear, that was about the short story "Please Undo This Hurt" linked near the end of page 3, and not about the novel The Traitor Baru Cormorant (although the latter is also very emotional).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
Oops missed that. Question still stands for the book itself then.

Offline Veers

Just got mine today! Fortunately today is my day off so plenty of reading time.

Now I just have to join to line to get it signed. :D
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oops missed that. Question still stands for the book itself then.

The first lines of the book you read will be "This is the truth. You will know because it hurts." Baru Cormorant is also a very emotionally engaging story and there is a lot of pain and suffering for the heroine to endure, but it's not going to be the gut punch that Please Undo This Hurt is.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mikes

Just got my hardcover delivered, but saving it for when work is a bit less stressful and I can properly sit down and get lost in it. :-)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Lotta cool people on IRC wanting to talk about this book but afraid of spoiling others. This thread has spoiler tags!

Feed my writer momentum, :justpost:

how the hell do you pronounce 'lyxaxu'
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
X is Sh in Urun

When Baru describes the ykari as gods and Unuxekome corrects her, what's her actual referent for the concept of 'gods'? Which cultures in the Baruniverse have conventionally religious beliefs?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline watsisname

Late to the party, but just ordered your book. :)  Gonna keep away from this thread for a while now lest I get SPOILERZ
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Just ordered your book. Looks fantastic.

i'm on page 355 which by my count gives you 32 pages to ruin everything, i look forward to seeing you rise to the challenge

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
i'm on page 355 which by my count gives you 32 pages to ruin everything, i look forward to seeing you rise to the challenge
Yes, he (battuta) does. You will not be disappointed and may want to throw the book/ereader across the room.
Spoiler:
Ha. Ha. I'm still being vague.

Ok, I'll be the first to admit that I may not have finished the book in the best of mindsets. Wee hours of the morning, forced awake by whiny (and thankfully false) smoke alarm noises, and generally too-wound-up and too-tired.

All the same, I was MAJORLY caught off-guard by the ending. There was normally some subtle signposting to big twists at earlier points, and I may simply have missed them, but goddamn. That was a brutal triple-cross.

"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted