Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 594212 times)

Offline Mpez

Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
WHY!!!????
Well, I guess it still offers something other games don't - space legs, nice ship interiors and atmospheric planets. Sure, the current gameplay is super shallow and will probably get super boring after a while, but I would actually pay just to check out those three things (and the ability to grind all of the ships they currently have). It's just a question of whether they can make the frame rate bearable and eliminated critical bugs.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh, I would also pay for that sort of experience -- But Roberts has burned whatever goodwill I had for him, and I'll now happily wait until this game reaches a full release (and gets good reviews) before I hand over any money for it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mpez

Oh, I would also pay for that sort of experience -- But Roberts has burned whatever goodwill I had for him, and I'll now happily wait until this game reaches a full release (and gets good reviews) before I hand over any money for it.
I don't think this game will ever get a full release, so it's a question of what we can salvage from this mess. For me it's being able to land on a few different planets without the game crashing and having some super basic money earning mechanics (e.g. trading) so I can grind all of the ships and check out their interiors (would be great if they added capital ships in).

I mean, the FPS elements they're developing won't beat Infinite warfare, the space simulation aspect won't beat Elite. So there's little else they can offer for me apart from the above.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:28:33 am by Mpez »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I tend to agree with you. Despite all the sneers from the Citizens I suspect that this will basically be like No Man's Sky. A half finished game gets released which is quite interesting for the first few hours but quickly becomes a tedious grind.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mikes

I tend to agree with you. Despite all the sneers from the Citizens I suspect that this will basically be like No Man's Sky. A half finished game gets released which is quite interesting for the first few hours but quickly becomes a tedious grind.

My stance as well. I am kinda curious about what they are doing still. And did want to look at the planets ...

But with all the ship sales and megalomania going on it's pretty clear they are gonna set up the mother of all grinds. And that is not my cup of tea anymore.

Same deal with Elite for me. Very cool to look around for a while ... but the grind, ...  bleigh.

So all in all I am still quite happy with the decision to effectively downgrade my SC pledge from 4k$ to ~ 50 bucks and not spending a penny more!  :nod:

No game is gonna beat my best multicrew experience anytime soon anyways! (That was Air Buccaneers as we crewed one of the small single cannon balloons with over ~ 20 people, singing "Arrrrrgh we gonna die" over the voicechat while losing 1-2 people everytime we fired the cannon or someone misstepped because they was not enough room to stand anywhere else. Too bad no one's playing that anymore.  :lol: )
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:43:56 am by Mikes »

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
So all in all I am still quite happy with the decision to effectively downgrade my SC pledge from 4k$ to ~ 50 bucks and not spending a penny more!  :nod:

I'd say you could be forgiven for repledging considering how much you got back.

I like to think I can understand SC's draw quite well because I was once snared by it. I used to imagine cruising around with the HLP Brigade, from our flagship, the GTVA Colossus. It's an enticing thought and I really wished it could be so, but I just don't think SC will live up to be a good singleplayer or mmo experience and that's something I find rather sad.

And that's what SC does, it plants hope and imagination in your mind until you realise the reality of where it's actually at.

If they can release something that approaches No Man's Sky levels of playability then that would be a massive leap forward for them, that's how poor SC is as a game, imho.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
In the future, if you have a pile of money that you just have to get rid of with another decision as foolish as "Battlefront 2 or Star Citizen," I can take that money off your hands.  It's really no trouble.

Mhhhhh, I'll keep that in mind!

You could also buy wolfenstein2 it's pretty great
Or Heat Signature
Or jesus christ there's so many good games out there

Psstt... i heard about an older game called Freespace 2. It is a good christmas present for all your family and friends  :D

I actually did buy more than one copy of FS2.  :)

Good boy :)

I actually have several retail versions of this game, because of different releases, languages and because of some different cover designs.
Looks good in a glass shelf :).
But i have also still countless versions of it in my GOG and Steam Inventory for gifts :D.

So to talk about SC. I did not spend a dollar so far, because i was always sceptical because the last chris roberts games were always to overambitious. Prophecy was the best Wing Commander IMO, i liked Starlancer a lot, but that was created by Erin and not by Chris. Wing4 was a good movie, but i never liked the game in it very much.

So my interest was more in SQ42... but actually i fear something like a Wing4 Remake... a good CGI-movie, but a not very good game.
But even the SQ42 interest is not very high at the moment, because i never understand why a very good fighter/bomber pilot should also be a very good soldier that can conquer enemy capital ship by itself to warrant FPS sections, especially in a military scenario.

SC is one of the games where i wished that this one has never reached some stretch goals. For example the linear single player SQ42 was the initial and only part of the project with a classic multiplayer mode. Stretch goals for example were a open-universe gameplay in the style of Privateer and Freelancer were you would be able to interrupt and continue the story as you like, like in the X and Evochron Series without to launch another game (at least it was communicated back then). The MMO component was only a stretch goal... and with it SQ42 went to a linear mission-based campaign standalone game again. This optional open-universe gameplay that should be accessable directly from SQ42 was never an issue again IIRC.

Actually i am not sure if we will see a SQ42 in the first place, because the focus seems to be more on SC... also the gameplay of the space combat section was not very convincing for me in the free weekends. There are much space combat simulators out there that seems to have a better gameplay as Star Citizen after all these years... and if the original gameplay is not very convincing... why should i have interest in all the other stuff? Or why is the gameplay not working after all this years? IMO this one should be the first things in a public released version that should work.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

WHY!!!????
Well, I guess it still offers something other games don't - space legs, nice ship interiors and atmospheric planets.

Actually, No Man's Sky has that too, and it has gotten quite a few updates since it's release (Atlas Rises has been well-recieved by people who loved the concept but hated the original game) which makes the game much, much better. And for that, you get an actual playable game! In some sense, you could say that that game launched a year too early.

Star Citizen as it stands doesn't have that in the way of reediming features. It's still in alpha.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 12:57:08 pm by -Joshua- »

Offline Mpez

WHY!!!????
Well, I guess it still offers something other games don't - space legs, nice ship interiors and atmospheric planets.

Actually, No Man's Sky has that too, and it has gotten quite a few updates since it's release (Atlas Rises has been well-recieved by people who loved the concept but hated the original game) which makes the game much, much better. And for that, you get an actual playable game! In some sense, you could say that that game launched a year too early.

Star Citizen as it stands doesn't have that in the way of reediming features. It's still in alpha.
That's actually a fair point, I sort of forgot about it until karajorma brought it up again. I'd say No Man's Sky's transition from space to planet is less seamless, but then you have games like Infinity: Battlescape that seem to do that really well, so it wouldn't be unique to Star Citizen.

Ok, so I guess cool ship interiors is the last sort of unique thing here.

No Man's Sky has that too since they added freighters, and I'm quite sure that plenty of space games have let you walk around, with varying degrees of succes (hello Rebirth :P )

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
My favourite spaceship interiors were on DS9: The Fallen. It was an fps game on the unreal engine and was far better a game than it had any right to be. In the first level (if you pick Worf) you get to run about the Defiant and it's very faithfully portrayed. The rooms and corridors have a good compromise between being cramped yet still large enough to fight in.

Later on there's a bit where you have to find an orb from a derelict Miranda-class starship, the Ulysses. You have to fight your way in, get the lights back on, kill some cardies and jem'hadar, all while navigating twisting corridors and turboshafts. Also flying bat things and pig lizards.

By far my favourite Star Trek game.

IMO this one should be the first things in a public released version that should work.

It still amazes me that they still haven't got the flight model fully pinned down in a space flightsim.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Mikes

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16278-UEE-Land-Claim-Licenses
More amazing things for Mikes to buy  ;7

I'm waiting for the bridges still.  :lol:

Kidding aside, Land Claims now? Seriously? Egawd ... maybe I'll refund those 50$ again after all ...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You don't understand this new economy, man! Just like people aren't buying old, unstable valuables like gold because new, strong and stable alternatives like bitcoin are available, buying real land when you could be buying virtual land is just the smart choice to make.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Real land is finite.
Virtual land is copypasta.
If you could buy virtual space, there's a lot more of that.

Chrisrobertsmademestupidwiththis****.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16278-UEE-Land-Claim-Licenses
More amazing things for Mikes to buy  ;7

I'm waiting for the bridges still.  :lol:

Kidding aside, Land Claims now? Seriously? Egawd ... maybe I'll refund those 50$ again after all ...

DOO EEET

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Let me know when they start selling solar systems :drevil:
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mikes

Let me know when they start selling solar systems :drevil:

The worrying thing is that people are still throwing money in ungodly amounts at the screen.

Those Frigates and Destroyers they sold for over a thousand bucks each were gone in about an hour.

Solar system? Yeah I'm sure someone would buy that. I also noticed someone asked on the official forums already how much land they would need to buy to own an entire planet ...