Author Topic: My custom cockpit POF crashes the game  (Read 1583 times)

Offline emark4

My custom cockpit POF crashes the game
I am trying to make a cockpit pof file using the models of the Kent and the uhlan from blue planet war in heaven. However everytime i try to use the pof file it crashes the game. Can someone take a look at my blend file and see what i did wrong?

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 02:00:23 pm by emark4 »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: My custom cockpit POF crashes the game
Maybe hellish scale mess in the model? Random vertexes and edges floating everywhere? Tons of holes in every submodel? And why do you need pof data in cockpit model?

Clean this thing up!
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline emark4

Maybe hellish scale mess in the model? Random vertexes and edges floating everywhere? Tons of holes in every submodel? And why do you need pof data in cockpit model?

Clean this thing up!

Originally it had the entire kent model . When it crashed i thought that it would be because its too much data so I deleted its wings to reduce the data size.

And i need a separate cockpit pof file for that modded izrali  model i did the other day. Using the show ship on the blue planet tables looks horrible so I decided to have a separate file instead, like the GTF Draco had.

In cleaning the file up, should I delete everything except for the cockpit area?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Delete everything that is not visible from pilot's seat. And for the sake of Universe... Watch your geometry! Current crash is probably caused by cache generation. Engine just cannot process the geometry like that.

Watch for floating edges and verticles. Watch for interpenetrating faces. Don't delete your stuff like crazy. Use knife tool, and instead of deleting random faces, cut the pieces you want to delete. Use W -> Remove Doubles frequently to make sure you don't have any doubled verticles. Ctrl + Shift + Alt + M will tell you where some of your geometry errors are located. But keep in mind:

Here you see solid piece of mesh. This is a geometry error. If Ctrl + Shift + Alt + M shows you something like that, investigate that part and see if there is something wrong with it. In that is particular situation, there is buggy face below the central element.

This is not error. Just pieces of geometry not geometrically connected to main mesh, but those are still valid pieces of model. You are likely to encounter this situation in model like Banshae due to numerous subobjects.

This is also not an error. Just two mirrored halfs of ship sticks in this spot to eachother.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline emark4

Delete everything that is not visible from pilot's seat. And for the sake of Universe... Watch your geometry! Current crash is probably caused by cache generation. Engine just cannot process the geometry like that.

Watch for floating edges and verticles. Watch for interpenetrating faces. Don't delete your stuff like crazy. Use knife tool, and instead of deleting random faces, cut the pieces you want to delete. Use W -> Remove Doubles frequently to make sure you don't have any doubled verticles. Ctrl + Shift + Alt + M will tell you where some of your geometry errors are located. But keep in mind:

Here you see solid piece of mesh. This is a geometry error. If Ctrl + Shift + Alt + M shows you something like that, investigate that part and see if there is something wrong with it. In that is particular situation, there is buggy face below the central element.

This is not error. Just pieces of geometry not geometrically connected to main mesh, but those are still valid pieces of model. You are likely to encounter this situation in model like Banshae due to numerous subobjects.

This is also not an error. Just two mirrored halfs of ship sticks in this spot to eachother.

Oh boy, i gonna try to do this all over again.

In the meantime, i figured out another way to do a cockpit pof for the newbanshee model so i can use the show ship code on the tbl file.(Had to realign the uhlan cockpit a bit more to my liking on blender.)