Author Topic: GOG / Humble Sales  (Read 4272 times)

For those who don't get email notifications, both GOG and Humble Store are having daily sales:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store
http://www.gog.com/promo/6th_birthday_promo_year_one_080914

Offline Lorric

Oh wow. I've already got it, but Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete for $2.99 on GOG is one of the best deals I've ever seen.

Oh wow. I've already got it, but Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete for $2.99 on GOG is one of the best deals I've ever seen.

On the subject of HMM3
If you haven't, play Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
It's a great console & iOS game. Similar in some respects to puzzle quest. Match 3 puzzle game of sorts with a lot of hidden depth.
Affordable and has decent length of gameplay as well plus multiplayer (though don't know if people are playing online).

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin

This is terrible. Goddamn you, GOG.

I was only justifying not buying that because it wasn't cheap, but now...RIP free time.

Offline Lorric

On the subject of HMM3
It's a great console & iOS game. Similar in some respects to puzzle quest. Match 3 puzzle game of sorts with a lot of hidden depth.
Affordable and has decent length of gameplay as well plus multiplayer (though don't know if people are playing online).
I'm generally not keen on puzzle games, but I might take a look at it.

This is terrible. Goddamn you, GOG.

I was only justifying not buying that because it wasn't cheap, but now...RIP free time.
Ohhhhh yes. Massive, massive time sink and addictive "just one more turn" gameplay. :)

On the subject of HMM3
I'm generally not keen on puzzle games, but I might take a look at it.

Well it's not a puzzle game per say.
It's an RPG with a match-3 battle system with units that have varying abilities, heroes that rank up, etcetera.

http://epn.tv/all/type-of/reviews/might-magic-clash-of-heroes-ios/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_5-eC-KF3Y

Offline Lorric

Alright thanks. I'll check them out sometime. Had a quick look at review scores for the game and it's scored well.

Humble Indie Bundle 12

https://www.humblebundle.com/

--Base
Steamworld Dig
Hammerwatch
Gunpoint

--Average+
Papers Please
Luftrausers
Gone Home
+More upcoming potentially

--10+ Dollars
Prison Architect (ealy access)

--65+ Dollars
Merchandise pack

Offline Lorric

I watched your links Akalabeth.

The battle system just doesn't grab me unfortunately, and since TotalBiscuit puts such emphasis on how much the game revolves around that battle system, I won't be buying the game. I don't think I'd have fun with it, gameplay is the most important thing to me, and it just doesn't do it for me.

It was an interesting watch though. The art style is beautiful, I'm certainly fond of that.

Yeah to each their own.
I like it.  It's the best thing about the game for me.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Dear God I want to buy Planescape: Torment, but considering my massive games backlog I just can't see any point right now.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Lorric

There's some real quality in there at unbelievably cheap prices.

Master of Orion 1+2 for £1.19... I went for it.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Dear God I want to buy Planescape: Torment, but considering my massive games backlog I just can't see any point right now.
I have the same backlog, no free time, and it's not even in a genre I'm particularly interested in, but I did it anyway, because lol money.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i got assassin's creed, a couple of raymans, and system shock 2 (is there a 1? i've never heard it mentioned and never seen it on steam/gog/anything).  i've not really heard anything good about the PC version of AC, but for $5 and no DRM bull**** i figure i can try it out.  it was ALL the rage back when it came out on consoles.
I like to stare at the sun.

i got assassin's creed, a couple of raymans, and system shock 2 (is there a 1? i've never heard it mentioned and never seen it on steam/gog/anything).  i've not really heard anything good about the PC version of AC, but for $5 and no DRM bull**** i figure i can try it out.  it was ALL the rage back when it came out on consoles.

There is a system shock 1 but no one seems to sell it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXrlsiPTQS4

Maybe will need to grab it online (ebay) though boxes go for 50 bucks.

Some free game called Receiver on Humble Store today

https://www.humblebundle.com/store

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
System Shock 1 was/is? abandonware and was freely available several years ago.

It is not, however, worth playing today.  Running it on a modern system takes too long and is incredibly painful to set up, the controls are brutal, and there is a reason why everyone hails SS2 and not the original (that is, the plot and gameplay of the second game are superior to the first in leaps and bounds).

In short:  Google the story if you're interested, though SS2 gives a pretty good summation.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Running it on a modern system takes too long and is incredibly painful to set up
Three words: System Shock Portable.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Running it on a modern system takes too long and is incredibly painful to set up
Three words: System Shock Portable.

HOW IN BLAZES HAVE I NEVER HEARD OF THIS PRIOR TO TODAY?!?!

If that works "out of the box" so-to-speak (which seems like it still doesn't, from a quick Googling), I take it all back.  Well, mostly.  What made SS1 so remarkable was how it changed the genre; considering virtually every modern FPS/RPG-style game is based on the SS1 UI, most players today won't find it all that groundbreaking.  And the plot/execution of the second one was still better.