Author Topic: VICE on episodic games and how we keep them alive.  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
VICE on episodic games and how we keep them alive.
VICE has an interesting article regarding episodic gaming, which we at HLP adhere. It explains why this die, but yet lives on here at least. Hint: Blue Planet, Between the Ashes, Inferno and future projects such as Rekt Galaxies and Shattered Stars.

Acts are also known as "episodes," right?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline spart_n

• I am the labeller of CringeTM and KinoTM
    • Steam
Re: VICE on episodic games and how we keep them alive.
Except episodic games are just so you can ooze more cash out of an otherwise incomplete narrative (cough, imo). I don't like paying ten bucks per episode for an otherwise complete experience.

BP splits its narrative 3 Acts between with War in Heaven but I won't call them "episodic", because in those same acts you have several chapters (?) and story arcs going on within, plus, y'know, Tenebra is different narratively and gameplay wise. "

Acts" imply there's several chapters within, or at least that's how I grew up understanding Acts from Chapters depending on what video game was tossing the term around.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Except episodic games are just so you can ooze more cash out of an otherwise incomplete narrative (cough, imo). I don't like paying ten bucks per episode for an otherwise complete experience.

BP splits its narrative 3 Acts between with War in Heaven but I won't call them "episodic", because in those same acts you have several chapters (?) and story arcs going on within, plus, y'know, Tenebra is different narratively and gameplay wise. "

Acts" imply there's several chapters within, or at least that's how I grew up understanding Acts from Chapters depending on what video game was tossing the term around.
Inferno has, but why not Between the Ashes?

Are there any campaigns that's episodic in nature?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline spart_n

• I am the labeller of CringeTM and KinoTM
    • Steam
Inferno I'd give you, i guess

what's with reference to Beneath the Ashes? i dont remember it being episodic or anything

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I have a lot of episodes
Spoiler:
of depression
:(

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Acts are also known as "episodes," right?

An Act is defined by its role in a dramaturgy wherein an act is defined by its function  - that's why you most commonly get 3 or 5 act structures: e.g. for the 5 act structure 1) introduction of characters, 2) establishing conflict, 3) rising conflict, 4) climax of conflict and resolution, & 5) consequence of conflict (aka "everyone learned their lesson, right?").
(3 act structure takes may longer to explain - but its a volume rather than difficulty issue)

An episode is just an increment of story, often defined by the limitations of publication, e.g. a 45 minutes plus adbreaks programming slot for a TV show. An episode has a dramaturgy of its own, and may be part of overarching series' dramturgy.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 04:06:21 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Follow-up:

The definition of a "chapter" is a much more fluid affair, as a chapter is "completed piece" of a larger work; a chapter may be distinct from another by a number of things such as shift in perspective, shift in techinque, shift in subject matter and many many more.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

I have a lot of episodes
Spoiler:
of depression
:(

Saaaame.

Atleast with depression you don't get some internet assholes asking why you didn't release them sooner, and why there's less content each time.