Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613967 times)

Re: What are you playing right now?
I'm playing through This War of Mine for the first time.

In the first nine days, my shelter got raided about every other night, and then day ten starts with a big splash page saying, "Crime wave begins."  NOW the crime wave begins?!  What the hell were the last nine nights?!

Oh well.  I've posted a guard with a gun and two bullets.  Come at me, bro.

Oh well.  I've posted a guard with a gun and two bullets.  Come at me, bro.

Just one bro, maaaaybe two. Any more, please don't come at me...

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I finally picked up Ace Combat 7 and have been playing that, especially since I discovered how to get my joystick to work.  :)  I have not been able to play as much as I would like though.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

FRIGGIN' RECEIVER 2!

Handgun loading simulator with a weird story about the danger of media Receiver finally got a sequel. This time, with textures!

Peaking my head over the fence and admiring FFVII Remake.
I want to play it so bad, but I also don't want to deal with a multi year wait. So I'll pretend like it doesn't exist. And then I will play them ALL.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I played the demo, realised I didn't like not naming cloud a Swear word.

Peaking my head over the fence and admiring FFVII Remake.
I want to play it so bad, but I also don't want to deal with a multi year wait. So I'll pretend like it doesn't exist. And then I will play them ALL.

The multi COST doesn't appeal to me.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

At some point, presumably, there'll be a "FFVII Remake Complete" version for hopefully less than a rent payment...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Changing the battle system from ATB to that real time nonsense was a massive detractionnfrom the feel of the original too.  FFX managed to handle the turn based thing without issue.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
So, since Tomb Raider III was kind of infuriating I played both Dreamfall and Dreamfall Chapters: The Final Cut since I had them sitting in the backlog for years.
Dreamfall while playable had several bewildering choices like adding broken combat, frustrating stealth sections and that weird focus mode I always ended up activating by mistake. That mode wasn't even that useful, it was easier to just move the character around with the camera most of the times. Also the inventory was stupidly fiddly. There was also an infuriating glitch that almost got me stuck.
Chapters fortunately was an all around improvement in the controls and interface department. They also ditched the combat and the stealth sections are more puzzle-y than screaming at the camera-dependent controls for hiding behind rocks/walls/etcetera to work.
Of course the game gave priority to anything that wasn't a mouse or a keyboard, fortunately my HOTAS can be disabled via software but obviously I tended to forget to do so almost every time thus having to Alt-F4 out of the game since it was faster than figuring out which of the thirty-something buttons on my HOTAS the game detected as the "A" button.
Unfortunately now the game only has checkpoints and instant resets instead of free saves which can potentially get annoying since cutscenes cannot be skipped and dialogues can only shortened using the spacebar if the game decides to allow for it.
The story seems to conclude here, we even get to finally know who the mysterious old lady of The Longest Journey is.
There are a few Tell-tale Games style choices but they mostly determine the early game and the fate of some of the secondary characters, according to the game wiki I managed to get the version of the ending I would have preferred anyway (unlike Pillars of Eternity, I'm almost tempted to load an old save and replay half the game just to get a good ending for Sagani now that I think of it).

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:48:50 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Recently completed S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Lost alpha Developers Cut 1.4007

Also recently completed Quake Epsilon - i.e. Quake and it's expansion packs with fancy new graphics.

About to start Quake 2 Berserker mod - i.e. Quake 2 and its expansion packs with fancy new graphics.

And I'm about to start Homeworld Deserts of Kharak. After which I'm going to do a narratively chronological binge of the entire series (HWR, Cataclysm/Emergence, HW2R - and HW3 once it gets released.)

FS wise - I recently completed Shrouding the Light, Bem Cavalgar, The Aeos Affair, Shivans, ASW, Scrolls, Walking on Ashes and Boomerang. Not sure which campaign to try next - there is so much to choose from  :)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Changing the battle system from ATB to that real time nonsense was a massive detractionnfrom the feel of the original too.  FFX managed to handle the turn based thing without issue.
I've heard tons of people say the new combat system is one of the best parts of the game. So I wouldn't knock it before you've tried it. You can enter slowmo-menu pause at anytime to get tactical. Or play it like a full action game if you use the shortcuts.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I have tried it. Finished the demo 5 times to make sure it wasn't just initial anti-nostalgia prejudice rather than genuine aversion.

I'll never use the term "changes the feel" or express an opinion on something tangible without first hand experience.  That's why I'm not as active on certain topics.
 People that have massive opinions on things without actual experience irk me.

I didn't like it.   

Granted its a REMAKE and not a REMASTER, the cinematic set pieces are nice, and it's very good looking (not far off the Advent children movie level of wow if you ask me) but it steering a teeny bit too far away from the original for my taste, so I'll skip buying it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 01:18:17 am by Colonol Dekker »
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Finished FF7R. Incredibly hyped for the next one in the series.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
So, Doom Eternal was ... meh. If it wasn't for the fact that I had marked it as a case study for my own work I would probably dropped it a few levels in.
Beyond the nice mobility focussed gameplay, it was pretty bland.

In the meantime, like many people I retreated to something a little more soothing and focused on building matters; because I need particular extensive escapism I got back to Tropico 5 (I know the sixth one is long out but my money is going to other things these days). Really soothing until you jump from Cold War to Modern Times and suddenly the fact that your nuclear armed, oil-exporting island only has a very limited education system comes back to bite you - almost like the ressource curse is action :)

I am now wrapping up Uncharted 4 (because free with the PS4 online service subscription), dipped back into Monster Hunter World and now might be ready to get back on that Witcher 3-horse...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
So, Doom Eternal was ... meh. If it wasn't for the fact that I had marked it as a case study for my own work I would probably dropped it a few levels in.

Looks like there's quite a few people playing it for research purposes.

Meanwhile, I've been playing the original Torchlight with mods as of late. It's pretty cathartic, to say the least.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Since I’m still not in the mood for Tomb Raider III but I can’t choose which is next in my backlog I ended up finishing Doom 2 again with the Brutal Doom mod v21.
The Icon of Sin was more dinamic but I couldn’t get on the platform to shoot it directly in the brain so I had to climb up and use the platform as a shield against its attack because now you can just shoot it apparently even it the blasted thing takes a lot of hits, I had to empty all ammo pools but the projectiles and the shells to bring it down.

I also played a bit of Descent and apparently I haven’t been playing the first game for quite a while because DXX-Rebirth was still configured for my old 1280x1024 monitor and apparently its configuration file is indipendent from Descent 2.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 09:38:01 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Since I’m still not in the mood for Tomb Raider III

When you do, go to Nevada first.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Since I’m still not in the mood for Tomb Raider III

When you do, go to Nevada first.

You can choose the order of the levels? I thought it was linear.

Assuming you're talking about Tomb Raider III (The First One), the first level is first, then you choose which of the next three to tackle in any order, and then the final level (If I recall correctly).

Offline SL1

I just finished the main quest of Enderal.

In keeping with Enderal's running theme of ripping off paying homage to Mass Effect, the ending depressed the hell out of me and made me never want to touch the game again. I need to eat something sugary, maybe sleep for a while, and play something more hopeful to cleanse my mental palate.