Author Topic: BSOD on first mission  (Read 3494 times)

I have a problem, where I can start up the game, and get as far as the loading screen for the first mission briefing, and I once even got as far AS the briefing; however, once it gets to that point, my computer spits out a BSOD... I'm running an AMD x6, 8 gb of ram, with good cooling, and a HD 6950... So I don't think that it is the hardware side of the equation... This looks like a really fun game, if only I could get it to work.

Thanks for the help! ^_^

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Are you running with the latest drivers for your graphics card?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Just updated them yesterday to the newest ones...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
What does the BSOD say?  Does it mention a file(s)?

Took a picture actually! portcls.sys is what it says it is...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Intel AC 97 integrated sound driver.  I suggest updating it.

I'm looking on my mobo manufacturers' website for my specific mobo, and the driver hasn't been updated in over a year... unless you mean a different one...

Actually I think that I don't even have the AC97 driver, since the mobo manufacturer has the "Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip" driver instead... unless I'm confused and that IS it... in which case, it hasn't been updated since 2011/07/08...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

I have a Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H (rev. 3.1). Link to download page: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3789&dl=1#driver

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
OS? and is it x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit)?

64 bit Windows 7 Professional.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Are there any updated audio drivers available in Windows Update? 

Unless they updated this morning, I have everything updated :P I had installed a bunch of updates yesterday, and all of the ones for windows update. I used Secunia PSI to update most of the stuff...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm.  I wonder if you have a manufacturer version of OpenAL installed.  Can you check if you have ct_oal.dll or nvopenal.dll present on your system?  I'd recommend using VoidTool's Everything to search, it's lightning fast.

I have 4 ct_oal.dll, one in sysWOW64, one in Sys32, and two for my sound card. No nvopenal.dll though...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Based on reading this in the FSO FAQ, I think those need to be deleted.. put them in the Recycle Bin to be sure though. 

Restart after, BTW

so remove ct_oal.dll from sys32? and then replace it with the downloaded OpenAL? Would this cause any sort of problem with the computer actually working? Cuz we have all heard the "DELETE SYS32 LOL" story...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
remove ct_oal from all places in your system to recycle bin.  If it FUBARs your system (I don't think it will), start in safe mode, open recycle bin, restore the files to their location.

EDIT: you might have to re-install OpenAL after.  if that doesn't fix the BSOD, next delete OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll and re-install OpenAL again.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:12:19 pm by jr2 »

Before I do that, I'm gonna try to re install the game, and re apply the patch... Doubt that it will help, but I'd rather do that, than mess with sys32 :P