Author Topic: Appallingly slow framerate  (Read 2319 times)

Appallingly slow framerate

Downloaded and Installed "Shattered Armistice", changed Graphic Settings to recommended for older Macs but still have a maximum of 4.0 fps on first "BRIEFING" tutorial, rendering the Game virtually unbearable to play.

I do have a 2006 24" iMac which doesn't help but any hints as to why the frame rate is so sloooooooow?

Model Identifier:   iMac6,1
  Processor Name:   Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:   2.16 GHz
  Number of Processors:   1
  Total Number of Cores:   2
  L2 Cache:   4 MB
  Memory:   3 GB

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Appallingly slow framerate
If you could run the debug build and post the fs2_open.log file it generates that'd be awesome, but at a guess I'd say your computer's GPU cannot handle the game.

How do I do that?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Either using the Diaspora launcher or by clicking directly on it, launch the file named fs2_open_Diaspora_R1_Debug

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
2006? Oof. Diaspora just barely runs on my late 2007 iMac, and not that well at that. You might get it working if you turn the graphics way down, maybe even disable shaders.

Try going to the launcher's advanced settings tab and look in the graphics section and uncheck post processing and FXAA if that's checked. Also check disable normal maps, possibly other things as well, but be sure to keep glow maps on, since the Theseus is unusable without them. If you want to disable shaders, look in the advanced settings tab's list of checkboxes for "Disable GLSL (shader) support" under the Troubleshooting category.

Also try turning down the detail settings in the in-game options menu.

CuChulainn, here are more detailed instructions for getting a debug log.

Here`s the debug Log:

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Your video hardware is really going to struggle with this game. Follow jg18's advice.

:nono:
Another reason, and there are many, to upgrade to a post 2012 Mac....

;)
Thanks for the helpful advice, Guys.
I disabled the Shaders, set Detail to HIGH, and WOW, now I`m getting 50-60fps!!
If I can just stop the Game crashing at random stages in the BRIEFING Tuition Mission and get the MOUSE SENSITIVITY settings to actually take effect
(doesn`t seem to be changing the actual Axis L,R/U,D speed from the default slug speed) then I will be happy!

Good ole 2006 iMac, she`s coughing and spluttering but still dragging her auld arse up that hill..

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Do you get crashes when you use the debug build? If so, could you play using the debug build, and then after the game crashes, post the debug log here?

Just got a crash on the FS2_Open-Inferno r9149 DIASPORA (debug) BUILD,
I suspect my RAM ran out:

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Code: [Select]
ASSERTION: "aip->goal_objnum != -1" at aicode.cpp:3855
Doesn't look like a RAM issue, more like a legit code bug. Does the game also crash if you play with the regular (non-debug) build?

Played with the "FS2_Open-Inferno r9149 DIASPORA" Build for over 90 minutes, no crashes and solid frame rate around 50fps!

Is there a way to make increase the Apple Magic Mouse response for the X/Y Axis movement?
Changing the MOUSE SENSITIVITY in the OPTIONS seems to make no change to this.