Author Topic: Volition's spelling  (Read 3161 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This is something that struck me the very first time I played FS2, but I can't recall it being brought up before, so...

Why is Infyrno spelled the way it is? It's written Inferno, with an e, everywhere else I've seen this word. Am I missing something here?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
It looks cooler?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
If it's really an incorrect spelling, it just looks dumb. :p

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Language has changed by the 24th century. By one letter.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Language has changed by the 24th century. By one letter.

Thot's bith tha wyrst und bost reison y've aver hoard

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
I don't thinky its just :v:, try some of the online thesayruses..

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
It was obviously done because it sounds cooler.

Like Kazan's "Ferrium" - it's not "Ferrium", it's "Ferrum", but it sounds cooler with the i.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It doesn't though; if you've seen the word elsewhere (and I bet everyone here has) it just looks weird. :p

Maxym
Trybuchet
Hylios
Pyranha
Styletto II

hmm, none of those sound very cool either. :p

I'm thinking it might be some obscure mythological name, which frequently have these slight differences in spellings. I don't how V could make such a big blooper given how well everything else is written.

Offline starfox

I always thought Charybdis was "Charybodis"...
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
It doesn't though; if you've seen the word elsewhere (and I bet everyone here has) it just looks weird. :p

Maxym
Trybuchet
Hylios
Pyranha
Styletto II

hmm, none of those sound very cool either. :p

I'm thinking it might be some obscure mythological name, which frequently have these slight differences in spellings. I don't how V could make such a big blooper given how well everything else is written.

Hence why they were all spelled correctly.

Infyrno just simply looks and sounds a touch cooler than "Inferno" - gives it the "American" touch regarding pronounciation.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I'm not sure how else one would pronounce "inferno" and the misspelling is certainly deliberate.  No one would have done that by mistake, and the only other precidence for that spelling that I can find is a username for some online games.  Coolness factor only, and definitely done that way on purpose.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
No one would have done that by mistake, and the only other precidence for that spelling that I can find is a username for some online games. 

Maybe that's where it came from. IIRC daveb went by the handle Kayser. (which for that matter looks like another weird y spelling)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
No one would have done that by mistake, and the only other precidence for that spelling that I can find is a username for some online games.

Maybe that's where it came from. IIRC daveb went by the handle Kayser. (which for that matter looks like another weird y spelling)

if they spelt it Kaiser it would just look retarded. :p
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

if they spelt it Kaiser it would just look retarded. :p

Um, why?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
cuz.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
cuz.

In other words, you're talking out your arse and just wanted to make some sort of snidey comment?

tut tut.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Infyrno is just...niftier.
-C

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
cuz.

In other words, you're talking out your arse and just wanted to make some sort of snidey comment?

tut tut.

no, i just think Kayser is better than Kaiser. :p

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The also caught the Turrent bug btw, theres a few places in the code where they themselves put 'Turrent' instead of 'Turret' ;)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i love the turrent smilie. :D