Author Topic: Was it really this bad???  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Was it really this bad???
I haven't played Freespace in probably 4 or 5 years, but i loaded it up and once i figured out how to run it in compatibility mode, etc. i started playing.
Maybe it's just been so long since i played that I'd forgotten, but it seems like the graphics of this game are just ridiculously bad.  Is there something wrong with my install perhaps? 

My graphics settings are turned up all the way in-game, but pay attention to the bottom left ship model - it's more of a 'blob' than anything.  I don't remember the Dragons looking that bad...

What think?

[attachment deleted by a ninja]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Was it really this bad???
Try getting the latest FSO build. You're clearly using retail, or an ancient build. A lot has changed over those 5 years.
Also, welcome back.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
welcome back?

i played fs1 vanilla off GOG.com myself and i'll tell you that this is perfectly normal.

also, you won't find those nebulas in FSO because they're not actually part of the background and cause problems in FS2.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That's FS1? That would explain a lot. Yes, it did look that bad. At first I though it's a retail version of FSPort.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
It's the thought that counts. at least it wasn't released like this. remember, it was the 90s and 3D graphics was running on baby steps.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
There is something to be said for retail FS1, though. Very nostalgic.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
FS1's resolution is piss poor.  it looks worse on modern LCD monitors than it did back in the day on CRTs.  i was doing a nostalgia playthrough on it before my computer fried.  i remember thinking how awesome the graphics looked back in the day, coming from D2 and D3.
I like to stare at the sun.

Say whatever you want about those old and blurry graphics, but I still love them. Especially the old nebulae. There's something about Vanilla FS1 that the (otherwise excellent) FSport still can't replicate. :sigh:

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
I've never tried the FSport, but i remember it from several years ago.  It's been a few years since i was fully active in this community.  I'll have to give it a shot - where can i download it from? 

Yes this is 'vanilla' FS1.  I was just shocked at the bottom left 3d view of the ships in-game... it's a model with 0 definition. Looks like a blob!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Say whatever you want about those old and blurry graphics, but I still love them. Especially the old nebulae. There's something about Vanilla FS1 that the (otherwise excellent) FSport still can't replicate. :sigh:
Yeah, its called nostalgia  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Indeed. Perhaps what people expect the FSPort team to do is to go back in time by about 15 years and introduce FSPort during that time. Perhaps then people will finally get over that crap...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
There were a lot of great looking games from the 90's. In all honesty, I do not think FS is among them (in the visuals department). Most of my favorites used flat-shaded polygons and actually managed to achieve great levels of detail without any in-game textures (apart from cockpit art, etc.). Graphics were crisp and clear, which is something that old, low-resolution bitmaps could not match. The hardware just wasn't there for said bitmaps to really make the difference, and if it was, then the polycount would have likewise been raised as well.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!

You know, there was a point where I would be willing to start a bar fight to defend retail graphics, but that was all based on memory. That kind of defense really requires one to ignore the vast improvements which were made to the game. Just compare the effects files, the UV maps and the number of polygons in the models. There is an objective technical improvement and dare I say level of care put into the current graphics that volition simply didn't have the time and technology to produce. Given the level of detail in retail, a lot is left to the imagination, and I feel pretty good that FSU has (mostly) stayed true to the style while filling in the unknown gaps.

I agree though that nebulae have become much more cartoony with recent FSU updates. The whole freakin monochromatic splash of color practially encircles most mission spaces. Yet, the new nebulae carry with them that special impact factor 'rule of cool' that people probably won't want to let go of. Just a passing observation. I love you FSU  :nervous:
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Indeed. Perhaps what people expect the FSPort team to do is to go back in time by about 15 years and introduce FSPort during that time. Perhaps then people will finally get over that crap...
Look, I didn't mean to sound offensive. I love FSport and the campaigns it made possible (like Shrouding the Light). It MAY be nostalgia what I'm feeling. So I don't think it's your fault, you're doing such a great job, all for free, and I appreciate and respect that.
And yet still, sometimes I miss FS1. I'm sorry if that unsettles you.

Given the level of detail in retail, a lot is left to the imagination
Actually, I like a bit of that sometimes.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
There is a kind of feeling that came with the original game.  The atmosphere of the original nebula and music.  The idea of the unstoppable Superdestroyer.  The fear of getting destroyed by an enemy with more powerful ships, shields, and weapons, while your ML-16s barely glance off them.  I felt much more helpless in FS1 than in FS2.  While FS2 is the superior game, I never quite felt the dread of trying to fight off half a dozen waves of bombers as they tried to finish off the Hope.

FS1 has many flaws, but the experience it gave me was something that I remember very vividly.

Offline Drogoth

There is a kind of feeling that came with the original game.  The atmosphere of the original nebula and music.  The idea of the unstoppable Superdestroyer.  The fear of getting destroyed by an enemy with more powerful ships, shields, and weapons, while your ML-16s barely glance off them.  I felt much more helpless in FS1 than in FS2.  While FS2 is the superior game, I never quite felt the dread of trying to fight off half a dozen waves of bombers as they tried to finish off the Hope.

FS1 has many flaws, but the experience it gave me was something that I remember very vividly.

This.

This is why I am forever a fan of FS1 just a little bit more then FS2
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
I'm more a fan of FS1 than FS2.  In fact i don't think i ever finisehd the FS2 campaign, or if i did, it was maybe just once.  Back in my prime i was #4 on PXO, and knew FS1 inside and out.  Seems like another life ago though

I agree. The music in FS1 (and FSport) has something FS2 lacks. That feeling of desperately running against the clock to stop the Shivans the first time was amazing, too.

Besides, FS2's graphics may have been better, but I don't care for the ship design.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
FS1's music was more event-driven than FS2's.  They had up to 3 tracks and various bridges that were played based on what was going down in the mission.  FS2?  Not so much.  Basically just looping through tracks with little bridges played when something happens.  Actually, you should be able to use the FSPort sound tables and make your own event-driven music if you're careful with it.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
There was a registry hack that allowed FS1 to access the full resolution of its textures, which were gimped by default. That's probably what's causing the discrepancy between now and your memory.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp