Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > The Scripting Workshop

Documentation improvements

(1/4) > >>

WMCoolmon:
What could be improved upon with the current set of documentation?

Right now there are three principal types; lua-only documentation on other sites, documentation on FS2_Open's implementation of the Lua language, and the scripting,html file generated by the executable. Obviously there isn't much can be done about the former without petitioning those sites' owners, but the latter two are more or less completely changeable.

Nuke:
well im thinking up a couple tutorials, one for drawing complex graphics procedurally, another for dealing with multiple resolutions. which will really just be a break down of code ive already written. 

there are a few discriptiones for functions in scripting.html that need improvement, like i havent a clue how gr.drawCurve() works. sometimes you get a cryptic argument that leaves you scratching your head, like Direction of gr.drawCurve() . this has us playing with the function learning how it works. and this can be a distraction. every time i need to use a new function i end up spending an hour learning what that function does (all while forgetting how my code works :D).

anyway the forum itself right now is very usefull, its full of code they can look at and learn from. and its all current system code. i think scripting should get a bigger section in the wiki as well. as it stands its written out like a table example and burried benreath a few layers. keep the table discription in tables, but then have a whole other section for actual code tutorials, examples, coding practices (how to keep neat code for example) and so on.

i guess the real way to get people into scripting is to keep giving them cool stuff based in scripting to look at. get a few modders to go hey this looks pretty straight forward and in no time at all they will have it mastered.

Wanderer:
Good tutorials/guides for properly using different 'standard' Hooks with explanations when scripts in the respective hooks are are run etc.

And the same for the conditional hooks as well.

Nuke:
i learned quake c (long after quake was dead) merely by the hundreds of thousands of tutorials and examples on the subject. its just a matter of taking the time to create them.

WMCoolmon:
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Scripting.tbl

Oh and I made some minor changes to the code to go along with the documentation (fixed a small bug, changed the order of collision variables to make them accessible to the overrides, changed the order of the global/on frame hooks, and added warpin variables). For the most part the documentation should work with any recent builds. It should all work with future builds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version