Author Topic: Curiosity with the old MOD  (Read 16908 times)

Curiosity with the old MOD
I was playing around with the old BtRL MOD.
The forum is mothballed and refers me back here since this is most of the crew from it.
Not trying to upset anyone posting here about it.
I was just curious about its use with the newer versions of the fred2_open_3_6_x.exe's
I noticed the contrail effects don't work anymore and many of the missions develop serious bugs making them unable to complete.
Which debugger would let me load up these missions and troubleshoot them?

Re: Curiosity with the old MOD
I was wondering if I could use Visual Studio with this?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well the first step would be to post exactly what errors you get.

Offline newman

Maybe so, though I really can't think of a reason why you'd even want to use newer builds with the old btrl demo..
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Well the first step would be to post exactly what errors you get.
Mainly I was getting AI glitches in game. The raiders would freeze in position and do a warpout cycle fading in and out. I couldn't shoot them either.
The only thing that worked was missiles. When they did the warpout odd bitmaps would show up that were more like symbols than anything else showing up as squares cycling.

Maybe so, though I really can't think of a reason why you'd even want to use newer builds with the old btrl demo..
Again I got curious and some of the effects would show up nicely while others were not working so hot or break completely.
I'll just take it back to the old .9.exe

Offline newman

Hopefully it won't be too long before you can play around with something a bit more recent :P
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I'm drooling just thinking about it Newman  :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
BtRL was only designed to be stable on the special 3.6.9 build it was released with. The plan was to patch it in the 3rd patch and make it compatible with 3.6.10 but the team split before that could happen.

It's not impossible to make it work with modern builds but it's unlikely to be easy to do as 3.6.9 and 3.6.12 are fairly different. Since the Diaspora team are busy with our own upgrade for the BtRL models we do own, we're not interested in doing it ourselves and delaying Diaspora. So that means it would have to be someone unconnected with the team who did it.

You're welcome to try of course as far as I'm concerned. No one here is upset about the existence of the BtRL Demo. I tend to think of it as a child I don't have custody of. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Thanks for the response Karajorma.
I wouldn't mind making the Stealthstar and setting up the contrails, weapons points, glow points etc...
I found some good images of it based upon a replica manufacturer who must have gotten better specs.
I have Max 10 and was reading over the collada and pcs forums about the max plug ins.
I used Rhino on my first model and still prefer it for some things.
If I get something working in the previous mod I'll let you folks know and take a look at it.
Right now I got an error in the base mod after some alterations it came up.
Now even when I put everything back it seems to come up in the demo campaign though.
If it is something simple offer some feedback, other than that I'll keep fiddling trying to find the problem myself.
I wouldn't want to take away from the time spent on Diaspora.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
The Stealthstar is a fighter I'd love to see for R2, so you're more than welcome to take a shot at it.

A few pointers based on how we've done our fighters:

Base textures should be rather high resolution. (2048x2048 at least)

There should be a separate nameplate texture where the serial numbers (and possibly squad logo) are on. This way we can use texture replace in FRED to give each fighter a custom serial number for a little more immersion.

Always save your .psds with all of their layers in case the final model and textures need minor tweaks.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Sure thing Ace. Although I use Paint Shop Pro for my textures instead of Photoshop.

So far the images I am finding best to use are from the model made by Bad Azz Models.
I keep looking at the footage though and it is hard to tell if it is my mind playing tricks on me or not.
The model has 3 engines, but the footage in "Hero" looks like 4 engines?
Check it out:

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I don't see three engines on the model, it looks like two with some extra detail/greebles between them.

There seem to be four engines total, and they seem to have a vectored thrust setup.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline newman

That model was built using the show's model as a reference. The guys who did it somehow gained access to the show's meshes, all their bsg kits are accurate.

Pic 3 shows an engine exhaust below the main upper engine.
It has 4 intakes, so I think I'll work it down to one central lower engine to try and match the photo from Hero and the model.
Thanks for the input guys. I think it is just the camera angle throwing me off.
Most of the layout images I find online look a bit screwy, they dont match up in ortho projections.
I'll figure it out.
Love a challenge. Hopefully those cg models find their way to the web someday =)

This should cover it  :P

slow moving but I'm getting the pcs together.

Offline YIIMM

It's a shame Hero only gave us brief shots of the Stealthstar and Valkyrie models, they both turned out to be quite pretty designs.

Offline newman

At least they rectified the valkyrie part in the plan..