Author Topic: God...Earth is HUGE  (Read 9680 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's not a skybox, it's one large spherical model placed very far away.

:confused:

I thought it was a skybox...

*checks mission*

So it is an actual model... I'd heard before that it was skybox. Weird.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
It could never be a skybox as it was made before the FS2 source code was released.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It was once for Retail, remember?

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
R1 still is really.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I was talking about the Inferno mod in general... On that subject, it was once for FS1.

that explains the sounds
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Actually none of the FS1 INF data was ever used in any of the FS2 versions.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The original Gigas actually works in FS1, IIRC.

Offline Objekt

Mission inside the Earth model would be interesting... I.E. a new race or something that strip-mines planets from the inside out... or something sweet like that.

They did that one already.  It was called "Descent" and "Descent 2" and "Descent 3."  :p

lol that's what I was getting at.

Descent... with Shivans!
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

You're better off trying to mod Descent 3 itself than try to do that here.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Well, the source code for Descent 1&II is available...  D3 I dunno.  And yes, a Shivan "robot" model would be very interesting (remember those glowing knives, the melee attacks, and the beam weapon in hallfight)?

BTW, some of the coding for Descent can be found in FreeSpace.. there was (used to be) more than one reason FS1 was called Descent: FreeSpace.  They changed their minds on the storyline.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
No, the source code to D3 has (sadly) never been made available, and most likely never will be.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
20 years from now, someone cracks the D3 code... and no one cares.
Now, if we had the D3 code now, it is possible that a version of D3 would be around in 20 years.
The irony is sickening.

Offline neoterran

that's why open source is cool.

or even better..... close source a program for it's commercial life, and when it ceases to be making money, open source it.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
BTW, some of the coding for Descent can be found in FreeSpace.. there was (used to be) more than one reason FS1 was called Descent: FreeSpace.  They changed their minds on the storyline.

No. The FS universe had nothing to do with the Descent storyline. It was simply for advertising.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
or even better..... close source a program for it's commercial life, and when it ceases to be making money, open source it.
:yes:
No. The FS universe had nothing to do with the Descent storyline. It was simply for advertising.
I don't know where I got that from, but it was somewheres here, I think.   And you will find parts of code pasted from Descent... unless I (and everyone on that thread) was being lied to.

No, you weren't. For instance, there's a line somewhere in there about idenitfying an object as a "robot, powerup, hostage", etc. Obviously unused in FS, but just as obviously a Descent code.

And I do remember reading somewhere that Freespace was originally intended as part of the Descent storyline... something about finding the player's ship from D2 after it disappeared (I think).
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
...Exactly what I remembered hearing somewheres else on this board.. thx