Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > FS2 Open Tools

Modview Source Code

<< < (18/19) > >>

chief1983:
Supposedly there isn't too much coupling already, as before this plan was set in motion The_E believed he had already isolated the PCS2 backend into its own library.  But yes, I've been pushing for discrete objects and libs for lots of things, way back to the PCS2 Collada support.  It would have allowed various front ends to make use of the Collada conversion code without being dependent on PCS2 or changes to its interfaces.

Nuke:
making it possible to run pcs2 in a command line mode would be pretty cool for anyone who wants to write custom scripts for conversion. all editing should be possible with this meathod. say if i wanted to make a large detailboxed terrain map from a large texture and topographic map. i could write a script that would automatically cut up the texture, generate geometry for them at various levels of complexity, and feed all the neccisary model and texture data into pcs2, setting up all the detail box subobject flags for each tile automatically, then save to pof. im sure there are other things like that wich could be done with such an interface.

chief1983:
Yup, having a separate lib for all that stuff would make that far more trivial.  But again, it sounds like it's pretty close to that already, so it might not be too hard to do.

Kazan:
yes the backend is trivial to isolate from the frontend.  it was designed that way intentionally.

no to modelview frontend.

Bobboau:
if someone else wants to do it and it helps improve modularity of pcs2 / pof code why not? for an open source proponent you are awfully clingy with what happens with your code outside of your control.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version