Author Topic: i need a modern combat racing game  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i need a modern combat racing game
i just beat carmageddon 2, and i need another combat racing game. i dont care if its demolition style like carmageddon or cars with guns like interstate '76, so long as the physics are good. the ability to slaughter pedestrians is a plus. in the mean time im gonna try to find carmageddon 3 to give me something to do.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Inquisitor

Re: i need a modern combat racing game
Twisted Metal?
No signature.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
twisted metal is too arcade-ish. same went for interstate '82, it felt like they copied twisted metal, rather than make it like i'76 which i thought was a pretty cool game.

carmageddons physics are something else. the cars are so overpowered and the roads are so bad and that makes an intresting combination. :D i76 was essentially dogfighting with cars. your car was configurable sorta like mechwarrior games, you could mount different weapons and turrets on various hardpoints. you also had a pistol you could aim out the side windows and try to kill the driver with. that game was awesome. interstate 82 lacked all those features.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
I managed to keep my car in the air for a full 30 seconds in Carmageddon.  Holy ****.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
You could check out the two Rollcage games. Not exactly modern, but the cars have various weapons and powerups. There is a non-racing deathmatch mode in them as one of the multiplayer game types; there is no bot AI in it but these are among the very few PC games that you can play on splitscreen. They're a little tricky to get working on modern systems, but it is possible (and well worth the effort IMO, as the gameplay is very unique especially in the second game).

It's not a combat-racing sim per se, but I'd recommend Mafia anyways, as it's a chance to be a gangster in the 1930s, driving classic autos and crashing/shooting them.  Your mention of the pistol out the window in Interstate 76 reminded me of that game, since that's one of the things you can do.

Mafia is an exceptionally good looking game with some great vehicle physics and handling, though since it's a period game don't expect to fly around at 200 miles per hour.  It's essentially a much more intelligent version of GTA, minus all the annoying console aspects.
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

Offline Davros

powerdrome ?

Offline Roanoke

Burnout 3 has some decent "combat" modes (better than the racing).