Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 913801 times)

Offline -Norbert-

Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
Exactly how do you prevent vapours from, well, expanding due to zero external pressure, so you can collect it again? O_o
You must have some massive vapour collectors.
Mass Effect fields. Among other things, they can be used to create shields (called kinetic barriers) and artificial gravity.

Since FS2 ships use artificial gravity, they could mimic a similar effect with their gravity generation technology I think.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
About heat, why not do the Shivan thing and shove it into subspace? Unless that's beyond the GTVA level of technology
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
About heat, why not do the Shivan thing and shove it into subspace? Unless that's beyond the GTVA level of technology
Quote from: BP Tech Database
Alliance analysts have no explanation for this weapons system. The Sathanas' main beam cannons discharge kilotons of magnetically confined plasma at .9998 lightspeed. They are capable of continuous fire without overheating. It is unclear where the heat goes, leading GTI analysts to the unsettling conclusion that these weapons are not compatible with thermodynamics as we understand it. It is possible that waste heat is somehow shunted into subspace, or that the Shivans use quantum sleight-of-hand to process the heat out of local space. No allied warship can survive engagement with one of these weapons. Current GTVA tactical doctrine calls for concentrated bomber strikes to destroy these weapons before they can be brought to bear on allied capital ships.

Sounds a little beyond them.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If somebody actually calculates the yield implied by that techroom description I bet it would blow up star systems or something  :nervous:

freespace physics

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Wouldn't a captive singularity make for a pretty decent heat sink?  Maybe that's that the Shivans do?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well...it's an interesting notion and I couldn't immediately reject it, but I believe a black hole with a mass of 'merely' 10^11 kilograms will radiate blackbody emissions at something like 10000000000000 degrees, and probably evaporate right quick.

Offline Doko

What kind of timeframe can we expect for R2 at this point?

Days/months/years? I have no idea what kind of time it takes to complete a mod of this magnitude and there's an overwhelming amount of posts in these boards. (just joined a couple of days ago)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
If somebody actually calculates the yield implied by that techroom description I bet it would blow up star systems or something  :nervous:

freespace physics
1 short ton at 99.98% light speed is "only" 973.96 Megatons of TNT

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
What kind of timeframe can we expect for R2 at this point?

Days/months/years? I have no idea what kind of time it takes to complete a mod of this magnitude and there's an overwhelming amount of posts in these boards. (just joined a couple of days ago)

Well, R1 was in development for 18 months, which was good time all in all. That timespan included a lot of hurfing and blurfing about that we won't have to do on R2, and most of the team didn't even show up until towards the end. We also had to help identify and fix a few SCP bugs.

On the other hand, R2 is significantly more complex than R1 in terms of its missions. It's been about 5-6 months since R1 came out and we're closing in on 1/3rd 'done' with R2 mission-wise. So I'll tentatively say 12 months to go.

When we push Act 3 to beta we'll try to do a veiled preview. We're very happy to have a lot of deep, multi-angled gameplay, but the big challenge we're facing right now is that we have to explain it all to players in a way that's transparent and fun.

One thing I can say is that you're not likely to have any less reading in R2, but more of it will (hopefully) be optional or set up in a way that you can easily breeze by it.

Offline crizza

I would kill for a screenshot...

SRy for double posting...
but who was the godfather for the GTD Raynor?^^
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 03:50:14 pm by Jeff Vader »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Stratcomm, Lt.Narol, CODEDOG ND and mikhael.

Offline crizza

Ah...I think I...asked the question the wrong way...
The GTVA ships classes all have mythical and other sources for their names...Hecate,Orion, Deimos, Titan, Diomedes etc...
but Raynor? Marshall James Eugene Raynor?^^

Next question...how "big" are gauss cannons and massdrivers?
To big to be mounted on the turrets of a Raynor or Titan?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The Raynor's name was never altered from that of the original design (by the above chaps), probably in part as a tribute to their work getting the model worked up and available to the community. Why they selected that name I don't know. I'm not sure it's ever uttered in voiced dialogue which would make it reasonably simple to change to the Atreus-class if we ever felt so inclined.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
It was named Raynor because it looks very similar to his Vulture bike.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Which he doesn't ride any more....
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Hades

Which he doesn't ride any more....
No, but you have to remember that the Raynor was made way before SC2 was released, and the retail-quality model even before that.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline -Sara-

I sort of got used to Raynor, but it does not fit in the list now that I know what it's named after.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
All of the Titan class ships we've seen have been named after British vessels. The Raynor isn't the only one with naming differences.

Offline Hades

Not exactly. Even in FreeSpace 1 and FreeSpace 2 have Terran ships had mythological names for its type (prominently Greek) but used different geographical names for each individual ship, such as Soyokaze, Intrepid, Eisenhower, Carthage, Repulse (which is also the name of at least one British naval ship), and Aquitaine. In fact, most ship names were probably not Greek.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:15:37 pm by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline -Sara-

All of the Titan class ships we've seen have been named after British vessels. The Raynor isn't the only one with naming differences.

Cannot be compared, I don't think there's much which can change that. Titan's were mythical beings. Raynor, if called after the Starcraft character is an entirely different source. But it sticks to the player by now.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:15:18 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.