Author Topic: Capella: An explanation, at last?  (Read 4796 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Capella: An explanation, at last?

The Shivans are the care takers of our galaxy. They guard the essence of the stars, the life and birth etc. The Sathanas' collapse stars in order to create Nebulae which in turn produce new stars. They are keeping the universe young basically. -Posted by Indy in the Volition BB.

I for one believe this very strongly. It fits perfectly with the whole idea that the Shivans are the great destroyer/preservers keeping the universe in balance. Ensuring no one race gets too powerful, exterminating other life, etc.

------------------
"An evil mind is a constant comfort."
Revisit the Great War at The Freespace-Freespace 2 Port Project
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com

Originally posted by GalacticEmperor:
I for one believe this very strongly. It fits perfectly with the whole idea that the Shivans are the great destroyer/preservers keeping the universe in balance. Ensuring no one race gets too powerful, exterminating other life, etc.

Well other than the fact that single supernovae don't create stellar nursery nebulae, its a great idea. An armchair cosmologist/physicist will pick it to pieces, naturally.

However, it doesn't cover why Shivan's xenocide other races (that's not keeping the universe young, its keeping it sterile). It also doesn't cover their relationship with subspace... but you just maade me think of something. If shivans (as some here have suggested) LIVE in subspace and subspace is some how affected by gravity from large masses in real space--What if Shivans didn't blow up Capella because of the GTVA, but because they were 'clearing land' in subspace for a new Shivan megamall?

Maybe I'm just tired.

------------------
--Mik
http://www.404error.com
ruhkferret on ICQ/AIM

"Your guy was a little SQUARE! You had to use your IMAGINATION! There were no multiple levels or screens. There was just one screen forever and you could never win the game. It just kept getting harder and faster until you died. JUST LIKE LIFE." --Ernie Cline
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Shivans don't have megamalls, only parking lots. That's what was so mysterious about them- no planetary occupation, just control of individual jump nodes. And besides, the Shivans weren't bent on destroying all life, just committed to giving it all an equal chance. Read your Ancients.
I'm tired too. Let's just ask Carl the Shivan...

------------------
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
... and its just a coincidence that Capella is on the edge of Shivan space? Capella isn't the oldest star either. The Shivans are blowing up stars just to become the dominant race of the Galaxy. If another species comes into your house involentarily, say an insect, are you going to let that live? Or are you going to take out its nest?
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by vadar_1:
... and its just a coincidence that Capella is on the edge of Shivan space? Capella isn't the oldest star either. The Shivans are blowing up stars just to become the dominant race of the Galaxy. If another species comes into your house involentarily, say an insect, are you going to let that live? Or are you going to take out its nest?

Cappelle is on shivan contriolled space border? where the hell did you find that?
Otherwise, we consider Sol ours, right? If a species comes into sol, will we nuke them? Nah, don't think so.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
No offence dudes; I think thats a load of Crap. To believe that a species would destroy a star to keep the galaxy young, what nonsense. And as far as sustaining the balance of power is even more *#@*! nonsense.

Think about it, the Milky Way Galaxy is a vast collection of stars, nebulae and other interesting objects throughout its expanse; but when it comes down to it, there are a large amount of other galaxies in the universe and in terms of space we will never be able to be powerful in terms of "big".

The whole idea:

Posted by Indy in the Volition BB
[/b]The Shivans are the care takers of our galaxy. They guard the essence of the stars, the life and birth etc. The Sathanas' collapse stars in order to create Nebulae which in turn produce new stars. They are keeping the universe young basically.[/b]

Seems out of place like they guard the essence of stars...why are they attacking us then...and why did the Lucifer arrive to destroy our homeworlds.

The stars collapse eventually renewing areas of space with nebula and star rebirth.

This Topic ain't going anywhere and will never come to a conclusion...suggestion :close/lock topic:  

------------------
Max
Flash Developer
Ps6 Beginner

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
I personally think the GTI had something to do with the Lucifer's arrival; they met the Shivans, classified it at the highest level, and then the data was lost after the Hades rebellion.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam

Originally posted by MadBomber:
I personally think the GTI had something to do with the Lucifer's arrival; they met the Shivans, classified it at the highest level, and then the data was lost after the Hades rebellion.
Originally posted by Max:
This Topic ain't going anywhere and will never come to a conclusion...suggestion :close/lock topic:  

Okay, I started this, now I have to end it. Either we A. give our own personal opinions about what happened and don't attack each other or B. close this topic.

------------------

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Maybe the Shivans just kill for the fun of it. I know there's nothing I'd like better than to be the only one in the universe.

Maybe the Ancients wiped out a friend of the Shivans and they came for revenge. There could be an unknown factor as work that the Shivans are trying to protect from the destructivness of the other races. Maybe there's an uber-being and they're trying to stop it from being influenced by the destructive beliefs of the Humans, Terrans and Ancients.......If they have a hive mind wouldn't that mean if they pissed of a Shivan fighter by say firing on it then the whole Shivan collective would be angered.

I'm betting that FS3 would have had some really petty, stupid reason coming to light like the Earth-Minbari war on B5. Who knows, with all the sequels being announced.......
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by an0n:
I know there's nothing I'd like better than to be the only one in the universe.

You're firghtening. There's nothing i'd like less than being the only one in the universe...
SCREW CANON!

Starwing

Starwings theory about why the Shivans do what they do (STWSDWTD). I'm not going to explain it over and over again, just do a search for it  

Starwings theory why the Shivans blew up the Capella star (STWSBUCS):
1. Please remember that the mysterious subspace field was generated long before the supernowa weapon was actually engaged.
2. According to STWSDWTD the Shivans are at war with their creators. This race wad been called the Titans.
3. Titans had a unbreakable fortress from where they attacked the Shivans. Shivans needed to find a way to destroy it.
4. Shivans entered GTVA space after the Knossos had been reactivated.
5. Shivans find something in the Capella system, probably an unstable node.
6. Shivans send their fleet of Sathanas ships to Capella.
7. Sathanas engage their subspace drives to open an artificial subspace corridor to the Titan base. Hence the mysterious subspace field.
8. Shivans blow up Capella. Parts of the plasma are sucked into the corridor.
9. Some Sathanas class ships also enter the corridor to stabilize it until the plasma reaches the other side. Others remain in Capella to keep the corridor entrance open.
10. Plasma strikes the Titan base, boom. Plasma strikes the Shivans in Capella, boom.
Plasma strikes everything else in Capella, boom.  

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

You're firghtening. There's nothing i'd like less than being the only one in the universe...

I would like it a lot...

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/

Originally posted by GalacticEmperor:

for one thing, Indy's theory is as old as dirt. doxens of newbies on the VBB have come up with it thinking that it was new. there are no new theories on Capella anymore. every single "new" theory anyone has ever thought of has already been thought of several times before. the last new theory was thought up about a year ago.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
But wasnt Capella saved?
Got Ether?

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com

It was clearly stated that the GTI had contact with the Shivans prior to the Great War in Silent Threat. This theory is a lot more substantiated then any of the Capella theories mentioned in this thread.

------------------
Ace
Staff member FreeSpace Watch
 http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak

Originally posted by Carl:
for one thing, Indy's theory is as old as dirt. doxens of newbies on the VBB have come up with it thinking that it was new. there are no new theories on Capella anymore. every single "new" theory anyone has ever thought of has already been thought of several times before. the last new theory was thought up about a year ago.

I personally like the theory where the Shivans blew up Capella because they ran out of Bosch Beer..

Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Nico

• Venom
or to make a theme park (see HLP forum )  
SCREW CANON!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

I personally like the theory where the Shivans blew up Capella because they ran out of Bosch Beer..

Considering what is known about the Shivans, this theory is just as correct as any of the others out there.

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man

Originally posted by venom2506:
or to make a theme park (see HLP forum )  

Its the most logical, they got bored fighting the GTVA so they decided to build a big theme park, just that damn annoying sun was in the way.
Got Ether?

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html

Originally posted by PhReAk:

That's not quite the reason.  The Shivans attacked the GTA and PVE in the first game because they ran out of beer.  They blew up Capella to barbeque their meats and veggies quick for the party celebrating the initiation of Bosch into the group.

------------------
Visit Warpstorm.  Do it now.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.