Author Topic: Has anyone thought to ask GOG.com to link their FS2 to us?  (Read 1183 times)

Has anyone thought to ask GOG.com to link their FS2 to us?
seriously. there is no mention of FSO or hard light anywhere on the gog site, even though the majority of people who get gog's FS2 is FOR THIS SITE!
considering we have magazines doing features about FSO and even have volition members approving of the work that has been done here.
we could always keep a review up on the download page with a link here, but that is going to take work, and not many people will read the reviews, as they already know that they like FS2.
i would be happy to contact GOG about this, but i dont really think that its my place. im just a new member here, and ive contributed nothing except adding to the bandwidth, lol. (though i plan on doing VO work, as soon as i get my microphone problems ironed out. and maybe one day soon, ill be able to work on fredding and modding.)
my suggestion would be to have a few lines about FSO and a link here in the description of the game. Buy why stop there? the thing that sets gog apart is that it doesnt just give you the games, but all the add-ons, strategy guides, soundtracks, etc. whenever you purchase one of their games. i was hoping we could get a version of the FSO installer in there, or if nothing else, a pdf document explaining how to get to this site and what FSO is. i certainly think that at least 85% of the people who bought the game, and actually knew that we could give them a huge graphical boost, they would be here in a heartbeat.

now, i cant for the life of me, figure out why this hasnt happened yet, because this is most definately a WIN\WIN proposal. we get lots more money for GOG, and through them, we get a large influx of new members, who themselves will become a part of the community, thereby keeping it alive long into the future. and of course the real benefit for us, is that of all the people who come here, there will definately be some new help for all of these stalling projects, as well as quite a few new ones, i imagine.

so my question, to an administrator here, please, is this:
Has this been tried before? And if not, is there anything i could do to help facilitate putting a proposal together to submit to GOG.com? (i ask for no credit, and i am not asking to contact them, just offering to help you put together a proposal for them to look over. i have done none of the great work on this project, and i wouldnt want to step on anyone's toes)

and to anyone else who happens to be here, im curious what you think about this idea.
think it would be a good thing for hard light productions, and the community of modders as a whole? I mean, come on! A new infusion of young blood helps geezer vampires suffering from Limpus Fangus without the need for costly little red pills. we may not (all) be vampires, but i think hard light could use a little "hard fang" to help us cut through all the work and projects that are stalled before they die out.
After all, "A MOD is a terrible thing to waste" :P
"Think you've got what it takes to beat me? HA! You don't have a paper dog's chance of catching an asbestos cat in Hell."

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: Has anyone thought to ask GOG.com to link their FS2 to us?
iirc, they did mention hlp and several mods on their site at some point ( the recent sale?).

The GoG.com page for FreeSpace 2 has a link to their spotlight of the SCP.  Unfortunately, that doesn't lead to HLP, just scp.indiegames.us.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Which is good enough. Seriously, GOG have done all they can to promote us on their site without us being formally affiliated with them (a step that, for several complicated reasons, isn't going to happen).

Just look at it. The editorials they made, their forum, all have links to HLP or other sites.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
"several complicated reasons"

like the terms of the source code release?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
No, their lawyers want our mods.