Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > Modding Tutorials

A complete FS ship tutorial -- EXTREMELY IMAGE HEAVY

<< < (3/15) > >>

ShadowWolf_IH:
Ship building walk through done.  Post 2.

Shivan Hunter:

--- Quote from: ShadowWolf_IH ---vertice
--- End quote ---

vertex

Also, you make a (good) point about how you shouldn't always make a mesh manifold if it would lead to unnecessary polies and awkward topology, but you go on to connect what looks to be a 32-side cylinder to a polygon later on (and I really don't think it needs to be 32 sided - many gun cylinders even in HTL models are as low as 8 sides).

Otherwise, excellent post! I should try out Blender sometime, but I'm too used to Wings3D...

ShadowWolf_IH:
It is to show the proper way.....but ty

Droid803:
Nice stuff, can't wait to see the finished thing, will surely be an excellent resource for aspiring modders.
Also nice to see how some other people working in other programs build their spaceships.

But uhm, connecting a 32-sided cylinder to a poly is in no shape or form "proper" for FS2 models. In fact it will usually lead to weird lighting issues when smoothed (unless you are very careful). In fact, I see it happening right there...just...don't please. I personally consider doing that a gross abomination, but then again I bet that's what a professional 3D modeller would say to my models which consist of non-manifold everything, so what the hell do I know.

ShadowWolf_IH:

--- Quote from: Droid803 on April 12, 2013, 07:48:11 pm ---Nice stuff, can't wait to see the finished thing, will surely be an excellent resource for aspiring modders.
Also nice to see how some other people working in other programs build their spaceships.

But uhm, connecting a 32-sided cylinder to a poly is in no shape or form "proper" for FS2 models. In fact it will usually lead to weird lighting issues when smoothed (unless you are very careful). In fact, I see it happening right there...just...don't please. I personally consider doing that a gross abomination, but then again I bet that's what a professional 3D modeller would say to my models which consist of non-manifold everything, so what the hell do I know.

--- End quote ---

OK that's two people voting it down.  I'll change it to a "not recommended option."  But leave it shown for continuity.  Will that suffice?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version