Author Topic: Interplay purchases rest of FS IP rights  (Read 19407 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Interplay purchases rest of FS IP rights
Freespace needs a ****ton of buttons (half a keyboard), so no.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 Selecting the target of my target's target of the target it is looking at while shooting a missile at the target it previously selected while targeting the target of the target's target of the mission objective is a superfluous command.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Despite ShivanSpS' efforts, I am throroughly convinced that translating FS' formula into iOS or Android is basically impossible. You can make games set in that universe, but they won't be spacesims.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Freespace needs a ****ton of buttons (half a keyboard), so no.

It does not need a ****ton of buttons. It just so happens to use a ****ton, but you can easily play the game without a whole crapton of those

"No"

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah, but at least like twenty or so, already without counting basic maneuver skills (like roll!)

Like, 6 just for energy/shield/engine, Target nearest enemy, friendly, target, turret, etc., primary and secondary shooting, primary and secondary cycles, thrust, match speed, accelerate, decelerate, F4 for conversation, and so on and so on and so on.

Yeah, it's perfectly possible to design a game with a lot less buttons. But here's my point: That's not Freespace. That's a new game.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
The only way I could see Freespace work on a mobile device with would be to simplify the heck out of the controls and make it a rail shooter. The result would most likely be terrible but hey, we get deus ex: the fall on a mobile device and that was a first person shooter. :1 (And I predict it would be awful, just like the mass effect spin off on ios.)
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah so why bother at all?

Offline ShivanSpS

Despite ShivanSpS' efforts, I am throroughly convinced that translating FS' formula into iOS or Android is basically impossible. You can make games set in that universe, but they won't be spacesims.

My intention was to play FS2 on Android with keyboard, and later on figure out if a touch UI can even be viable... i do use my tablet with some chinese $10 later case + Keyboard, my HTPC is also a android based device.
There is also a few cheap 10" and 13" ARM laptops around, as long they can run linux, i can use them.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:14:47 pm by ShivanSpS »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It does not need a ****ton of buttons. It just so happens to use a ****ton, but you can easily play the game without a whole crapton of those
Indeed. I only used a few when I only had a joystick and a keyboard (for instance, I hardly even switched weapons). Later, when I got a better stick, I put some stuff there and started using it. Still, stuff like shield management wasn't needed (just mashing "Q" when things got hot). Now that I own a full CH HOTAS, I've got almost everything right under my fingers, and somehow, naturally, came to use all this keys. I don't know about the others, but I have a feeling that you only use as many keys as you can comfortably access, and a well designed control scheme (FS2 defaults do it quite well) will allow you to play with just that.

Offline Luis Dias

Except in those sets you would not have that flexibility. You would just not have those commands.

Many mods, for instance, would not work. Again, it's a different game. And it's alright that it's a different game. Call it FS version iOS, or Wii Freespace or etc. You'd have to redesign not only the UI, but also gameplay and all the levels to recalibrate gameplay, difficulty, etc.

Personally speaking, I think FS belongs to the PC. Any ports to a different console would be a spin-off. Could be fun, not saying otherwise!

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Any spinoffs that can lead more players to PC FreeSpace might be a great thing! I imagine that any port would be simplified as well (maybe even a demo with a few missions ending with an encouragement to buy the "authentic" PC version), and that could garner interest in the franchise.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
a demo that convinces people to buy a DIFFERENT game would be a colossal failure in its intended purpose.  especially when the other game brings in $6 instead of the full price of a new game. 

when was the last time a demo was offered anyway?  a proper demo, not an alpha/beta release.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Luis Dias

Yes, exactly, might as well build an entire different IP with its own distinct awesomeness mythical story, etc. Of course, anything that has come after FS2 pales in comparison mythically wise, and it feels that if someone would just catch this IP again, then the magic would re-emerge. But I'm way more sceptical than that. FS2 is much deeper, intricate and richer than a cursory examination of it would suggest, and because its riches are ingrained in subtlety rather than obviousness, I am afraid I trust exactly zero people to catch this IP and do something worthwhile of it.

And if somehow such developers do understand FS2, then why wouldn't they just be able to do their own distinct IP anyway? Mass Effect was something interesting in its own right, for example.

Offline Starks

We should just get a Kickstarter going and buy Freespace from Interplay.

With enough promoting on Reddit and other social media, we could easily give them double what they paid.

And then once we have the IP we give it to a competent developer or develop here like the SCP was. Maybe we could sell the a finished product through Kickstarter but not screw up like Ouya did.

Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

What's the point? The FS universe is in a pretty good place right now from modding efforts, I don't really see what there is to gain from buying the IP and making an 'official' FS3 beyond a kind of childish wish fulfilment.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline azile0

• Resident Trekkie
Question. Since the SCP is technically using Freespace 2's source code, could Interplay claim copyright and "steal" the SCP to re-sell as a modern re-release?
You get one chocolate chip.

. <--- There it is.

Self-proclaimed master of the Keypad.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Volition Copyright (applies to original FreeSpace2 source code
developed and released by Volition):

"Copyright (C) Volition, Inc. 1999.  All rights reserved.

All source code herein is the property of Volition, Inc. You may not
sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you
created based on the source."

Modifications by members of the FreeSpace Source Code Project are
released under whatever terms the individual authors choose, but the
above notice continues to apply to all fs2_open code.

I don't think so, unless we let them.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
From multi_sexp.h

/*
 * Created by Hassan "Karajorma" Kazmi for the FreeSpace2 Source Code Project.
 * You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you
 * create based on the source.
 */

Right back at you source thieves. :p

I know Goober uses pretty much the same wording for any files he created himself. IIRC Kazan's stuff also did something similar. So they'd need to work hard to remove all that stuff first.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]