Author Topic: Descent: Underground on Kickstarter  (Read 41396 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Re: Descent: Underground on Kickstarter
So I asked about the Pyro,  and the message back mentioned there is a discussion on how to include it on the dev forum

1.  Model Pyro
2.  Place in game
3. ???
4.  Profit
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline McMad

It's surprising that the only people who can use the Pyro don't seem that bothered. If I'd seen a Pyro flying around in the trailer I don't think I could of stopped myself buying it!

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
It's early days (they only recently acquired the Descent license) - And this is probably the only chance we'll ever see another official Descent title. And a triple-A one at that. That alone is worth backing.
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Personally, I'd rather see no Descent title than a bad Descent title, but as you say, it's the early stages, they just got the license, and they've indicated that they do intend to bring this into the original Descent universe, so let's wait and see...
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
It's hard to say if it's *any* kind of Descent yet, bad or good. They were workin on this 6DOF game and got approached by Interplay to make it into Descent. So we'll just have to wait and see.
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
If I could update folks here a little, I've had my finger on the pulse of this one for the last few days...

The Developers are active over on the official forums there and are being very receptive to community feedback and opinion.

A lot of people are asking for some close adherence to the original Descent Universe and that it wouldn't be a proper Descent title if they didn't. I get the impression this is being very much understood. Some info...

• The game is a prequel, set before the events of the first Descent title.
  • The game will reference the original Descent universe and whilst it won't feature the Descent pyro immediately - they will in all likelihood be adding it AND some new designs that pay homage / tell the story of how the Pyro ship came to be.
  • There will also be other references to the universe and they're looking very closely at maintaining the look, feel, physics and gameplay of the Descent titles to date.

I am very excited about this one.

If they continue to listen and take things in that direction - I'm confident we'll be looking at an awesome trip down memory lane with some brand new features and engine in place too.

I'd urge anyone on the fence on this one to get involved at this early stage. They're not asking much for a digital copy of the finished product but it simply won't happen if people don't get involved now.

If the project doesn't take off then Interplay may never release the Descent rights again.

I'm backing, I think it'll be worth it.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
If the project doesn't take off then Interplay may never release the Descent rights again.

This is a legitimate concern.

I've backed it.  Hoping it succeeds.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:54:01 pm by Cyborg17 »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I hope you'll excuse me if "You better back this or you're never getting another chance" doesn't endear me to Interplay enough to actually want to back it.  Blatant cash grab, **** them I'll enjoy my old Descent games.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That, or Sol Contingency, or (the sadly all-but-dead) Retrovirus, or one or two other things floating around out there.  I'll still ponder backing it, but it's definitely not an automatic for me.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Backed... 
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Backed.
I am a revolutionary.

And i do not know, what is bad about this... because we have already at least two good games, there are also still available. Only two, because there are many, that do not like Descent 3 because of its overworld flying.
And afaik one of its strech-goals says, that this game want to go also into space. Sounds further away from "Descent" to me.

Sometimes it is better to keep things dead... so you can be sure that there is nobody who can further deface the series ^^.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/descendentstudios/descent-underground/posts

Hello Descendents!

THANK YOU ALL!

We now have more than 3,000 backers and are off to a rollicking start.

There have been some very passionate discussions on both Kickstarter and our forums and that kind of passion is what is going to help us make our goal and blow right through it.   

There were a lot of requests for the iconic ship the Pyro-GX.

As we are a prequel to the original, it did not make a lot of sense for us to have that ship at the beginning but rather have a precursor or ancestor to it, and we had planned to bring that in at a later date.

However, we heard your call and we put it to the community to vote as to how you wanted us to handle the release of the new ship - called the Torch KS (we may change that and let folks pick a name, but that is the working title for now). Here is one of the early concept versions of it, there will be a lot of changes coming up, but we wanted to show you the first pass.

As the community voted overwhelmingly to add this as a stretch goal, we thought it was only right that it becomes a community event. 

The Torch KS will be FREE to all backers who bought a game package during the campaign when our Kickstarter total reaches $650k. 

Yep, that is right, it will be FREE to all those that backed for the game packages during the campaign. 

However, it is an EXCLUSIVE BACKER ONLY ship, that will NOT be available after the campaign is over, there might be future iterations for late comers to acquire either through game play or purchase, but this particular version will be gone forever once the Kickstarter campaign is over.   

People will know that when you are flying the Torch KS that you were one of the brave souls that made this all possible.

Help us spread the word, by sharing our updates and Kickstarter page as well as emailing gaming buddies so we can all enjoy the exciting arcade style game play of the original Descent series, and so much more with Descent Underground.   

Thank you,

WM

Offline watsisname

Descent, what have they DONE TO YOU?! :shaking:

More seriously, it might look good if it didn't have such a hideous paint job.  I mean I know this is like super early concept art, but damn.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
I'm pretty sore they are making it backer only.  First of all, as much as I appreciate backers, I never liked exclusives in the first place, but THE iconic ship (or at least a variant) should be an integral part of the game.  It's a major part of the franchise's identity.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline Cyborg17

The way the lights are positioned in it kind of make me think of the one on the left:

The way the lights are positioned in it kind of make me think of the one on the left:

Holy cats, is that "Batteries Not Included"???

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I'm pretty sore they are making it backer only.  First of all, as much as I appreciate backers, I never liked exclusives in the first place, but THE iconic ship (or at least a variant) should be an integral part of the game.  It's a major part of the franchise's identity.

They said they might make another variant available either through pay or in-game unlock, but they wanted some sort of identifier for backers in-game.

Offline Cyborg17

Holy cats, is that "Batteries Not Included"???

Yup.  Google image search is amazing.  :D

Those that are not convinced that one of the goals is to  make a game that deserves "Descent" in the title read should read this wall of text (it's really worth it):
http://descendentstudios.com/community/topic/1069-to-kali-skeptics-why-im-a-believer/?hl=drakona

This post is written by a Descent veteran, and there are more of those guys that already support the project (e.g. Jediluke, google his name). Enjoy!!