Author Topic: Battletech game?  (Read 22961 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
With the progress-blocking bug cleared, I was finally able to beat the campaign....
... and stayed true to my tactics by kicking the final boss mech to bits.

Overall, I am quite pleased with my return on investment as Kickstarter backer.  :yes:

ps. I took me until the penultimate mission to assamble that Catapult-salvage  ;)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Knockdown

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I am starting the campaign over, now that I know what I am doing more and they patched Large Lasers to generate about half as much heat.

Yeah I am way better than last time I played the campaign.    We're all staying alive, we're not caring about story missions right away, and I already refit the blackjack to lose a M Laser and an AC2 to gain a L Laser
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:44:27 am by Turambar »
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Playing through the campaign again, I found a cheeky exploit.  It centers around the mech destruction option in the custom difficulty settings, but beyond that, spoilers ahoy.

Spoiler:
The Castle Nautilus mission is split into two halves.  We're interested in the second half, where you guide Lady Arano and her lance of SLDF mechs to safety.  Turns out, maybe you want to get everyone but Lady Arano killed.

With the mech destruction option turned on, a mech under your command will be irreparably destroyed, if it has its center torso blown out during a mission.  Any weapons or equipment on that mech aren't destroyed on the way to the CT kill are returned to you as salvage, without counting against the contracted salvage reward for the contract.

Spoiler:
In the escape from Castle Nautilus, let's just say--as a purely hypothetical example--that you forget Reynard doesn't have bulwark, and so you leave him and his Griffin 4N stood on top of a rock to get picked apart by three assault mechs.  At the end of the mission, you'll find yourself with that Griffin's ERPPC and four double heatsinks as bonus salvage!  :eek:  :D

Maybe you also get the Black Knight killed, since the devs hacked four DHS into each of its legs.  Maybe you want to get the Highlander killed, so that when the campaign's scripting magics it back to life in the Argo's mech bay, you get two Gauss rifles instead of one.

The only person who has to survive the escape from Castle Nautilus is Lady Arano and her Atlas.  Just sayin'.

I'm probably not the first to discover this, but I'm still pretty chuffed for having found it independently.

Mechs done been got.

Now, I'm ready for the expansion.

[edit] Protip(s), if you're hunting the complete roster achievement:  Mechs that are added to your mech bay by way of the campaign scripting do not count toward the achievement.  I don't know if your starting mechs count toward the achievement or not, but I suspect they do not.  Purchased mechs do count toward the achievement, and in fact, the Urbanmech is only available by way of purchase (check stores on planets with the battlefield tag).  Happy hunting. [/edit]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:00:40 pm by BlueFlames »

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Anyone got their hands on the DLC yet?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Anyone got their hands on the DLC yet?

You ask that as if I wasn't going to get it on release day.  I've been winding my way through career mode, have attempted two flashpoints, and successfully finished one.  The flashpoints inject some variety into the post-/non-campaign gameplay, when one-off contracts would otherwise get stale with nothing to break them up.  The overhauled reputation system makes contract selection a little more involved, since consistently taking contracts against one faction will cut you off from having them as a potential client later.  I'm still getting a feel for the new skill tree.

It's more BattleTech, which is exactly what I wanted.

Also:  Yo ho!  Yo ho!  A pirate's life for me.  I'm on such good terms with the pirates that they gave me access to the black market free of charge.  All I had to do was murder countless thousands of Capellans.  :headz:

The career mode is definitely what this game needed for me. The campaign is good for a first time playtrough, but the Career mode really has that "Pull yourself up by your bootstraps" feel. It's great, and you don't even need to get the DLC to play it! On the other end, you can continue your campaign save and play the endgame flashpoint missions, which I haven't tried.

Done my first flashpoint mission, which was unintentionally hilarious: They make a big deal about how great the Hatchetman's melee ability is, but the first combat casualty of the day was that 'mech's hatchet, turning the poor 'mech into a regular man (It still has an AC/10, but okay). It made an already very tough mission even tougher: That hatchetman replaced a heavily damaged Vindicator, and was supposed to be the saving grace for me not being able to repair my mechs between missions... Missions which I completed by the skin of my teeth, to boot.

I highly recommend y'all give it a go. If you do try the career mode, remember that getting salvage rights on assassination missions is a really good way to get yourself some mechs beyond your current weight class (which will be important, as you'll start with lights!)