Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 588977 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)

face over ip
good

is there an actual video or just a moving jpeg?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That SQ42 trailer looked cool, but also really bad.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's also an object (and abject) lesson in why editing is important, because that **** was edited like a long diarrhea pour.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
The SA lowlights cut for those who don't want to sit through the whole thing.

There were not that many funny moments this time... I think we really hit peak citizen with last year's hot-ramp action
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
"We will win! ... because we have to."

Well, I'm inspired.

Still, I'd watch that movie.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Out of curiosity is this a Dev build they haven't bothered to QA or a Demo branch that they have been turd polishing for a couple months and is still janky as ****?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
What does your heart tell you?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
That the Code Grunts probably wanted to freeze the Demo branch six months ago.  Instead a week ago and were told they needed to add high fidelity Space Folgers to the demo. 

They screamed silently.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The problem with pushing your game closer and closer to an actual space movie is it goes from a cool game to a bad space movie.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
That the Code Grunts probably wanted to freeze the Demo branch six months ago.  Instead a week ago and were told they needed to add high fidelity Space Folgers to the demo. 

They screamed silently.
Your heart is wise and perceptive.

The problem with pushing your game closer and closer to an actual space movie is it goes from a cool game to a bad space movie.
And that's just one of uncountable problems that Starcitizen is pushing.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Btw, Star Citizen is closing in on the $200M mark. They're at 195.2. Last year they raised more money than every other Kickstarter game combined twice over. :blah:

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 08:08:02 pm by Lorric »

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
It's honestly like Roberts and the others leading this thing thought: "You know what would be a fun game?  One where you deal with all the bull**** and drudgery of real life before you actually get to do anything fun or interesting."

How can anyone look at this and think its anything other than ****ing awful?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Oh, there's going to be 14,000 different survival meters to force you to interact with some of this stupid **** too.

You want to fly a cool space ship?  Too bad!  It's the morning, and you're groggy, and if you drink one more cup of coffee, then your character is going to have to deal with the worst kind of colonic rebellion.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

Never underestimate the power of IMMERSION! Then again when I got hooked on it the current level of monotony hadn't reached what it's at yet. The station system was pretty neat, except when it kept telling me there were no pads available because of the half-dozen dudes on station.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network

Because it is not? I love games that go out of their way to simulate not only the usual shooty stuff but also the game world itself. Yeah, muh IMMERSION.

Also, FOIP is unironically good and backer money very well spent. Response on reddit from testers is very much positive. Some glitches dont change this fact.

https://clips.twitch.tv/HyperObeseClipsmomBibleThump

Due to lack of time I have only seen the gameplay demo and nothing else, but I like what I see so far (even tough we should have been at this stage 2 years ago but oh well).
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Well if reddit says its good then it must be.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Due to lack of time I have only seen the gameplay demo and nothing else, but I like what I see so far (even tough we should have been at this stage 2 years ago but oh well).

lol so you realize they are super ****ing far behind on everything but you don't care because LULZ REALISM

Even though 3 years into the actual world development NPCs still look and act like ****.

SIX YEARS OF DEVELOPMENT. SIX. And it's still this ****ing buggy?! And I can hear "but muh Alpha", but NO, you're wrong and you should feel bad for being willfully blind.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:08:31 am by Cobra »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
SIX YEARS OF DEVELOPMENT. SIX. And it's still this ****ing buggy?! And I can hear "but muh Alpha", but NO, you're wrong and you should feel bad for being willfully blind.
Seven years.
I mean, development only started last year. Early days!

7 years into development and they still haven't made a decent looking first person shooter in an engine designed to create first person shooters.
7 years in development and only just now have the most rudimentary a.i. working. I'm sure squadron 42 is well underway with all this advanced a.i. they could work with these past years.
7 years, still don't have basics like the economy figured out.
7 years, every demo has devs stressing how it's still 'the early days' and doing vague promises about what you will definitely be able to do in the future.

The whole gameplay loop they showed in this demo is just unworkable. It takes forever to get to the objective, some random griefer comes along and demolishes your ship while you're out in the boonies.
Then what? Is the commando supposed to walk all the way back to his wankpod?
What if you run out of money and you don't get to spawn a new ship for whatever reason, are you forced to ride trains forever until you fork over more real life cash to get ingame credits? Become someone's turret *****? Mop the floors on the kraken?
This immersion and realism bull**** they're gunning for, appeals to a miniscule amount of people, masochists like maslo. Maslochists if you will.
They're creating a massive sandbox that's tailor made for griefers. Most normal players are going to tune out of the game fast if they're forced through two hours of tedium for 10 minutes of 'fun gameplay'. Assuming they don't clip through the planet in this janky game or get killed by some random goon while they're in transit to the boring fetch quest objective.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!