Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422750 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.13.3 (combined launcher/installer)
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how can you make a mod use the MediaVPs if it doesn't already? I need to do that for Into the Depths of Hell. Does Knossos have a mod.ini equivalent I need to edit, or is there some other procedure?

It's possible to do this by editing Knossos's configuration files, but you should not do this for ItDoH unless you feel like doing some very extensive debugging.  That mod already has a number of warnings that FSO silently accommodates, and introducing MediaVPs would risk adding additional incompatibilities.  Also, the mod uses retail backgrounds, so you would have to manually create new MVP backgrounds.  Finally, the mod uses several retail-era custom models for which there are no high-poly equivalents, so these would not benefit from the MVPs anyway.

All right. I didn't know the lack of MediaVPs was intentional. Thanks for letting me know.

In general, mods are set to use a specific version of the MediaVPs and Knossos takes care of making sure you have the right version for whatever mod. The MediaVPs makes sure retail missions still work as intended, but cannot make sure every mod ever still works as intended. Some changes made can affect mods so it is highly encouraged that mod authors test their mod and publish updates to Knossos that set the correct MediaVPs version. For this reason, I never recommend to alter a mod to use the newest MediaVPs unless you are willing and able to deal with potential mod errors.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline SL1

You're welcome.  I hope that didn't come across as too harsh.  It would certainly be nice if ItDoH had MVP support, but it would take a lot of work to get there.  Hats off to anyone stalwart enough to slog through it.

It wasn't too harsh at all. I can live without the fancy graphics if I have to. It doesn't bother me all that much.

In general, mods are set to use a specific version of the MediaVPs and Knossos takes care of making sure you have the right version for whatever mod. The MediaVPs makes sure retail missions still work as intended, but cannot make sure every mod ever still works as intended. Some changes made can affect mods so it is highly encouraged that mod authors test their mod and publish updates to Knossos that set the correct MediaVPs version. For this reason, I never recommend to alter a mod to use the newest MediaVPs unless you are willing and able to deal with potential mod errors.

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind.

One more question: Is there something preventing ItDoH from accepting changes to the HUD or fonts? I assumed it wouldn't be a problem because it's still FSO, even without the new graphics, but when I tried copying the appropriate tables and other files, I didn't see any change in-game. I've done this before for other mods, and it worked, so I'm not sure why it's not working here.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
One more question: Is there something preventing ItDoH from accepting changes to the HUD or fonts? I assumed it wouldn't be a problem because it's still FSO, even without the new graphics, but when I tried copying the appropriate tables and other files, I didn't see any change in-game. I've done this before for other mods, and it worked, so I'm not sure why it's not working here.

There shouldn't be anything preventing changes.  The most likely reason is that your edits aren't being applied in the way that you expect, possibly because they are in the wrong folder.

Offline acex

• Steam
I dont know if its only me, but I'm trying to download Knossos for mac, the latest one (first-timer) and can't get it. Says error 404, not found, Theres another source to get it? maybe a dropbox/drive link or something like it. Thnx in advance

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
There isn't one for 0.14.0 final yet, been having a hard time building with the Mac CI lately.  I plan to try my hand at building it again the next time I'm stuck inside as I was put on furlough last Friday.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline acex

• Steam
There isn't one for 0.14.0 final yet, been having a hard time building with the Mac CI lately.  I plan to try my hand at building it again the next time I'm stuck inside as I was put on furlough last Friday.

OK, and how can I get de 0.13.. version? I tried to get it on other places, but nowhere to be found :(. I need the 0.13 dmg for mac. there's no link :(

https://github.com/ngld/knossos/releases
Latest for mac is 0.14.0 RC 1.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:11:53 pm by tomimaki »

Offline acex

• Steam
https://github.com/ngld/knossos/releases
Latest for mac is 0.14.0 RC 1.

The mac version doesn't seem to be available. thnx... :(

Offline acex

• Steam

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
No, he meant 0.14.0 RC1.  It's the dmg file under the assets dropdown.

https://github.com/ngld/knossos/releases/download/v0.14.0-rc.1/Knossos-0.14.0-rc.1.dmg
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm trying to install Knossos on my Ubuntu laptop but I'm not having much luck.

Ign:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ngld/knossos/ubuntu eoan InRelease             
Hit:2 http://cn.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu eoan InRelease
Err:3 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ngld/knossos/ubuntu eoan Release
  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.95.83 80]

Still getting this on Ubuntu. When I try to do an apt-get update it also complains about the lack of a release file. Am I the only one getting this error?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
Hi, been using this on windows without issue but have recently been trying to get it on Mac. I've gotten it installed but actually installing the FS2 files from GOG it hangs and displays
"Unpacking the GOG installer failed for unkown reasons! Make sure Knossos can write to the selected data path or contact ngld for more information."
It's saving to Documents/Games/Freespace Open/FS2. Any Mac users able to help out?

I'm trying to install Knossos on my Ubuntu laptop but I'm not having much luck.

Ign:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ngld/knossos/ubuntu eoan InRelease             
Hit:2 http://cn.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu eoan InRelease
Err:3 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ngld/knossos/ubuntu eoan Release
  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.95.83 80]

Still getting this on Ubuntu. When I try to do an apt-get update it also complains about the lack of a release file. Am I the only one getting this error?
Kara, I think ngld did not make a package for a distribution past "Cosmic."  I'm using an extended support version of Mint, so I'm still on "Bionic" and I can get the authentications to work properly.  But when I was messing around with Ubuntu to see if I could get Knossos to play nicer on it than it was on Mint, I kept running into the same problem you are.  There hasn't been a package made for "Eoan."  The newest package I can get for "Bionic" is still only 0.13.3, and only about 50% of mods installed correctly on it last time I checked (which was several months ago).

I'm probably getting the terminology wrong, but hopefully you get the gist of it.  Basically ngld's been gone a long time.  I really wish someone who understands what they are doing would either make some new packages from v0.14 or provide an up to date set of instructions for how to successfully build it.  But my RL is a fricking mess right now because COVID and half a dozen other things, so I totally understand no one's got the time.  I can play just fine on my Windows 10 install, and I'm grateful for the work everyone's put into all of this!
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Rajive

Hi,

I got a little problem with Knossos.
When I switch the "audio language" setting to french (I have to in order to play FS Port in french), I got a little (FR) in front of text in menu and in HUD.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

It's probably FSPort related and not an issue of Knossos itself.

Offline Rajive

It's probably FSPort related and not an issue of Knossos itself.

I dont think it is, I've played FSO without Knossos for years whithout having this issue.
Furthermore I've tried with FS2 and I got the same (FR) (see attachments).

What I dont understand is why it's happening with French but not with English, German or Polish.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Knossos can't cause that. It's something in FSPort, I suspect with the localization files Yarn added a few years back.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Rajive

Knossos can't cause that. It's something in FSPort, I suspect with the localization files Yarn added a few years back.

I just tried whitout the localization file, I still got it.
As I said before, it does it on FS2 too and when I used "FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar" and another launcher I didn't have this issue.

I only got it with Knossos and I'm pretty sure it has to do with the "language setting". When put on french (whether I got localization files or not) I got (FR), When put on another language I dont.

Edit: I'll try to reinstall FS0 with "FreeSpace Open Installer.jar" and see what happen.

Edit 2 : Okay I found out a few things.

First I can't get the french text if I try to modifie the registery, it stay in english. I have to go in %appdata%/HardLightProductions/FreeSpaceOpen and change the language setting in fs2_open.ini (I suspect that if it isn't created yet it takes the language from the registery).

Second, you were right my issue does not come from Knossos since I uninstalled it and I still got my problem.

I've tried to change language to spanish, I dont have any (SP) or anything, but the language did change in the game.

Oh another thing, I got rid of the a-fr-fsport.vp, a-fr-odeon_fs1.vp and a-fr-stu_fs1.vp, and even uninstalled FSPort yet I still got this both in FS2.

I know this thread is not about this issue so I wont continue to bother you with it here.

Thanks for your anwsers.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 01:56:33 pm by Rajive »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Those strings appear in the retail FS2 strings.tbl game file:

Code: [Select]
;-------------------------------------------------
; File: MainHallMenu.cpp
;-------------------------------------------------

353, "(fr)Exit FreeSpace 2"
354, "(fr)Barracks - Manage your FreeSpace 2 pilots"
355, "Salle de départ - Commencer ou continuer une campagne"
356, "(fr)Tech room - View specifications of FreeSpace 2 ships and weaponry"
357, "(fr)Options - Change your FreeSpace 2 options"
358, "(fr)Campaign Room - View all available campaigns"
359, "Multijoueur - Lancer ou joindre une partie multijoueur"
360, "Vous n'avez pas défini le type de connexion Internet. Lancez le programme d'installation, sélectionnez l'option Installation puis l'onglet Réseau pour choisir le type de connexion."
361, "Winsock n'est pas installé. Il vous faut TCP/IP et Winsock pour jouer à FreeSpace en mode multijoueur."
362, "(fr)You have selected TCP/IP for multiplayer Freespace, but the TCP/IP protocol was not detected on your machine."
363, "Vous avez sélectionné la Connexion via modem pour vous connecter à l'Internet. Vous n'êtes pas connecté pour l'instant. Connectez-vous à votre prestataire de service Internet avant d'aller plus loin. "
364, "Vous avez indiqué que vous utilisez une connexion LAN pour les parties en réseau. On dirait que vous êtes connecté à votre prestataire de service Internet. Veuillez vous déconnecter, ou choisissez "
365, "Quitter le jeu ?"
366, "Les pilotes multijoueurs n'ont pas accès à la salle de campagne"
367, "Pilote mutlijoueur non valide !"
368, "'Charger mission' invalide pour pilotes multijoueurs"
369, "Démarrage rapide invalide pour pilotes multijoueurs "
370, "Niveau de difficulté: %s."
371, "Appuyez sur F1 pour afficher l'aide"

My guess is that the French translation was never finished, and the (fr) prefix indicated that the string still remained to be translated.

My question then, Rajive, is how you managed to play a version of the game that did not have this issue.  Did you reinstall FSO using a different method -- GOG, Steam, or CD?

Hello friends,

in the past I had problems using Knossos on Ubuntu 16.04 which didnt work at all for known reasons. Today, I installed 20.04 and, guess what, the package is not available (yet) as well as the PPA. Any chance for that?

Thank you

KR praseodym