Hosted Projects - Non-FreeSpace > MechCommander OmniTech

Help with 3D modelling

<< < (3/12) > >>

Karl:
Hi all,

@Angelus thanks for looking at the mesh.

Ok here is where I stand, despite what Angelus said about the normals looking good (not to say he is wrong) I am having some success with flipping the normals (again I think Angelus may have a point about how 3ds is exporting the ase file - there are others online who have had similar normal problems with 3ds 9+ and ase exports), but this success only happened after I applied a reset xform modifer, currently I have everything displaying correctly (though with some of the faces if can be difficult to see) with the exception of the arms and missile racks, the inside face just wont display correctly, I may delete the faces and start a fresh for them.

Starman01:
Well, since it didn't happened to my models, and I also export the ase with Max 9 (though I still have to edit texture entries manually), maybe you could try with my way of doing it. Sounds maybe stupid, but it works, and is certainly faster than editing the mesh a few hours.

Export your model to 3ds, then use 3d Explorer to export it to *.cob, then back to 3ds. Import in Max, export as Ase.  Watch that the scaling stays correct.

It works for me that way.

Karl:
I think I have it sorted now but I also have the original unedited model, I will attempt your conversion technique with the original file.

by the way I have some ideas about stopping those mechs from being destroyed I will be implementing it this weekend

Starman01:
Cool man :)

That will speed up my chapter 2. I just have to add some brains to the big final battles, and have two other missions done. Though I was a little lazy these days, Life is currently really *****ing with me  :mad: I hope I can do a little more tomorrow and help with magic's stuff

Karl:
Thanks for the help all here is the finished product
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc384/KarlPav/Untitled-8.jpg

Now I have another question, it is about UV mapping. What methods do you modellers out there use to create space efficient UV maps?
I am currently using box mapping which basically "photos" the object from all 6 directions and then removes coincidental faces from one of the two "photos" where they occur.

This isn't very space efficient and I have to rearrange the UV's on the map to pack them together leaving a lot of dead space (or deadspace for those out there who are Issac Clarke fans).

I have looked at instructions on pelt mapping and will have a crack at that soon, but I just wanted to survey the wider community for other techniques and ideas

I am using 3ds max

Thanks in advance for any help

Karl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version