Author Topic: GVDi Aker-class Interdictor  (Read 243 times)

GVDi Aker-class Interdictor
   I would LOVE to get opinions on my design for a next-gen Vasudan Destroyer in the Interdictor role. Fire away!

Blue Planet has such fun lore, and equally fascinating discussions. One of these discussions I stumbled upon while researching for a mod I am making mentioned a Vasudan push towards Node Denial in the Post-Capella GTVA. Terran military doctrine is pushing towards the terrifying reality of subspace weaponry, as demonstrated in War In Heaven, and shock-jump assets, and we get to see plenty of that. But we only get the tiniest peek at what the Vasudans are doing.
   A couple comments I came upon mentioned the need for Vasudan ships that feel right, and the likelihood of making their own. Having taken a look at existing fan-made Vasudan destroyers, I conclude that there aren't that many that really look Vasudan. Some are so incredibly old that they now look like the low-poly model has entered the battle in modern Freespace. Those that do look good are either Hatshepsut or Typhon extrapolations or kitbashes, often leaning towards the ridiculously skinny side with long necks. Read their descriptions, and they are all the absolute best, next-gen destroyer that can top anything thrown at them. More guns equals next-gen. Dang.

With my tirade over, I decided to try my hand at designing a Vasudan ship, inspired by the patterns and shapes of existing Vasudan ships, and the best of the fan-made ones.
   The Aker-class destroyer seeks to meet the desires of a Blue Planet-esque next-gen Vasudan destroyer in the node denial role.
A guardian ship of GTVA space, the Aker-class is in the prototype stage. Currently just the GVDi Duaj, the Vasudans hope to test its Interdiction technologies for the official PGDi Sefer. If successful, the twin destroyers will secure the Alliance's borders and safeguard generations to come.

https://www.deviantart.com/varsaigen/art/WIP-PVDi-Aker-1043905025

Following the destruction of Capella, the GTVA needed new methods of war. Terran war doctrine focused on the development of subspace weaponry and jump-strike assets.
Meanwhile, the Vasudan admiralty longed to prevent another Vasuda Prime, and decided the best solution was to prevent Shivan forces from entering GTVA space. With the advancement of subspace technology and the Terran construction of the Sol Gate, Vasudan scientists applied this knowledge towards an equally hopeful endeavor. The ability to prevent subspace usage by invading forces.
The Aker-class destroyer features an Interdiction Ring, designed to ripple space around it, preventing ship computers from accurately calculating jumps. Intended to guard hostile borders, the Aker presents its most powerful weaponry towards new threats, while its flanking systems shred passerby's.
Alas, Interdiction comes with extraordinary power requirements, which limit the Aker's side-mounted weaponry. To combat this issue, the majority of its weaponry are missile and flak munitions, and the power-efficient Houndstooth pulse turret.
Massive AWACS arrays provide counter-jam precision jumps for allies, subspace sensor packages, aspect lock jamming, electronic countermeasures, intercept and decryption, and defensive stealth.

AWACS description mirrors Blue Planet's Setehk AWACS capabilities. A bit overboard in my opinion, but I imagine the Aker would have quite the tech shops under that primary array. It's probably quite toasty over that belly of nebula fuel, too!
   Good ol' Terrans, forcing their brand new Winter King beam cannon toys on their alien allies.
"You will fire our awesome new beam cannon at the Shivans, or else! Afterall, only cool kids have Winter Kings" -Some Terran admiral, probably
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 02:52:51 am by Muninn_Crow »
Come check out my new Freespace store on Etsy! Freespace merch for fellow fans!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: PVDi Aker-class Interdictor
It's difficult to read the labels on your diagram.  Any chance you could link a higher-res image?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Well I think it's a neat design.

I look forward to seeing it realised.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Looks great, and I like the subspace interdictor concept.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

It's difficult to read the labels on your diagram.  Any chance you could link a higher-res image?
I'm amazed at how much the 9000x3500px image shrank just by linking it. My attempts to scale it up made no difference, so I linked my original upload where it can be viewed larger.

EDIT: WIP02 of the Aker, per comments on the Reddit.
Updated it for an Interdictor Pod instead of messing with generic rings. Shoved it away from the Hatshupset similarities in the bulk, and added a dunes city around the AWACS array, reminiscent of old Vasuda Prime. Would like to expand on the concept more across more of the upper hull, though I could add some to the lower section near the engines.
https://www.deviantart.com/varsaigen/art/WIP-02-PVDi-Aker-1044133359

EDIT: WIP03 is complete! Shrank the front, widened the back, and added a chunk of fine details and window lights across the ship. NOW it feels more like a floating city, like a destroyer should!
https://www.deviantart.com/varsaigen/art/WIP-03-PVDi-Aker-1044474758
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 10:13:50 pm by Muninn_Crow »

Like the design concepts, I think they could work for a post-Capella campaign as well :)

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/f14c9a4b-f58c-4a3b-bd91-7d9973ec34b3/dh9ii9t-99d5c974-3e83-4ee9-867c-b7aa111882db.png/v1/fill/w_1433,h_557,q_70,strp/wip_pvdi_aker_by_varsaigen_dh9ii9t-pre.jpg

When linking to DeviantArt you can increase the quality by altering the q_70 in "w_1433,h_557,q_70,strp" to q_100

Ah. I keep forgetting to adjust its size. Thanks.

The destroyer is intended to be Post-Capella, leading up to the Blue Planet timeline. Though I am unaffiliated with the Blue Planet team (unfortunately), all my current mods are intended to be in their universe, but not take place in War in Heaven's time or location.
Even if not used as an Interdictor, the design could definitely work for just another big mean ship. :P

The project I am intending this ship to be in is a pre-Blue Planet wargame between the Terrans and Vasudans, testing some of the technologies and tactics that would be referenced in, or demonstrated in War in Heaven. So the player would get to play the same wargame from the Terran and the Vasudan sides, making their choice at the very beginning :D

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I like both of your designs; though when I saw the first one I was reminded more of a contained ecological system or seed vault ship (a design I would very much like to have for the Vasudans) than a warship.

"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

I like both of your designs; though when I saw the first one I was reminded more of a contained ecological system or seed vault ship (a design I would very much like to have for the Vasudans) than a warship.
I do happen to have an ancient Vasudan colony ship planned for a different project. ;P

Offline CT27

This looks like a very interesting ship and lore.

Minor question though:  shouldn't it be called GVDi instead of PVDi?

This looks like a very interesting ship and lore.

Minor question though:  shouldn't it be called GVDi instead of PVDi?
You are right. I had just realized the distinction today. PVDi would be pre-GTVA, as the Parliamentary Vasudan Destroyer, as opposed to the Galactic Vasudan Destroyer. Thanks for the insight!