Author Topic: Mechwarrior 5 ???????  (Read 12696 times)

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
From what I'd heard, it was more of a case of FASA got permission, but asked people who, it turned out, only believed they had the right to give such permission(some smaller company(not HG), I think it was whoever was importing Robotech merchandise at the time).

There was never any actual judgment barring FASA/CGL/Topps from using the art, but until last year...er, two years ago now, they simply stopped using any out-of-house art(including some completely original art commissioned from smaller outside companies(see: much of TRO:3055)), to avoid any possible future conflicts. Now only the original Macross-based art is considered 'Unseen', and a few were already so significantly altered(the "Ost"-series 'Mechs), that they're not considered part of the batch any more.

EDIT: There was a confidential settlement that ended the original court case, which was apparently overlooked or forgotten about.

Late EDIT2: On thinking/checking again, it was mostly Clan Mechs from TRO: 3055 that were Unseen due to association with VMI, plus a few Unseen-derived designs, though some were considerably altered to the point where you'd have to be told what they were supposed to resemble.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:18:14 am by Timerlane »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Ah, I see.  That's one hell of a complex situation.

Offline Outlaw

It should be noted though, that in the Project Phoenix TROs they also had created new artwork for the mechs in question, so i wouldn't be overly surprised if they use them if things didn't go too well in the suit. Really for right now i think its just a wait and see deal and will probably be revealed (at least i hope) at E3 2011.