Hosted Projects - Standalone > Diaspora 3rd Party Missions, Mods & Campaigns

*RELEASE* Aerilon is Burning

<< < (3/6) > >>

emark4:

--- Quote from: Nightstorm on January 28, 2017, 09:44:37 pm ---These missions were originally based off of the mission "Learning Curve" by Karajorma.  It's so heavily modified by now though that it's pretty unique.  There are five versions of the same mission.  In four of them you can choose a Viper MK VII or an Assault Viper MK VIIE.  You can have different call signs and matching dialog for each.  Each one will also direct you to land at a different launch bay at mission end.  Otherwise they are identical.  The fifth version allows you fly either a Raptor or an Assault Raptor.  This make them challenging.

The premise of the mission is that the Sobek class Battlestar Perseus is returning from a tour of deep patrol and manuevers on the edge of the outer colonies.  They are responding to reports of a Cylon attach on the colony of Aerilon.  When they arrive they find the Battlestar Sobek and two frigates engaged against two basestars.  Your mission:  Destroy or drive off the invading Cylons and assist the Colonial ships.  This mission can be difficult and there are multiple waves and groups of various Raiders.  Average playtime 20-30 min.

You can use the different fighters and weapons to try different tactics.

All of the required files have been added to a VP archive.  It includes maps, missions, models, sounds and many modifed voice files.  No tables or any other base data is modified.

Extract the file with 7-Zip and place the VP in your root Diaspora folder.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40373136/Aerilon_is_Burning.7z

Enjoy and good luck!

--- End quote ---

Well, its not diaspora 2 , but any expansion to Diaspora is welcome these days.

Downloading now. You just reignited my faith in the game :)

emark4:

--- Quote from: Nightstorm on January 28, 2017, 09:44:37 pm ---These missions were originally based off of the mission "Learning Curve" by Karajorma.  It's so heavily modified by now though that it's pretty unique.  There are five versions of the same mission.  In four of them you can choose a Viper MK VII or an Assault Viper MK VIIE.  You can have different call signs and matching dialog for each.  Each one will also direct you to land at a different launch bay at mission end.  Otherwise they are identical.  The fifth version allows you fly either a Raptor or an Assault Raptor.  This make them challenging.

The premise of the mission is that the Sobek class Battlestar Perseus is returning from a tour of deep patrol and manuevers on the edge of the outer colonies.  They are responding to reports of a Cylon attach on the colony of Aerilon.  When they arrive they find the Battlestar Sobek and two frigates engaged against two basestars.  Your mission:  Destroy or drive off the invading Cylons and assist the Colonial ships.  This mission can be difficult and there are multiple waves and groups of various Raiders.  Average playtime 20-30 min.

You can use the different fighters and weapons to try different tactics.

All of the required files have been added to a VP archive.  It includes maps, missions, models, sounds and many modifed voice files.  No tables or any other base data is modified.

Extract the file with 7-Zip and place the VP in your root Diaspora folder.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40373136/Aerilon_is_Burning.7z

Also located here:

https://mega.nz/#!EYBzzZyC!hlkXN-X1ih4CdVlZ4Kaftpz0Q_YMR1lJIxDVOyLdvoA

Enjoy and good luck!

--- End quote ---

Need some help here , i placed the vp file into the diaspora folder but nothing appears in the campaign menu, just the base shattered armistace campaign. Am i doing something wrong?

karajorma:
You have to play the missions from the tech room at the moment.

David cgc:
I've played through it a bit. Trying to figure out a good way to approach it. At first, I was just tooling around in a Viper getting Raiders, but I didn't really feel like I was contributing to the mission (I also ran out of bullets near the end), so I tried a few more times with different combinations of Raptors, Strike Vipers, subsystem missiles, and nukes (which never seemed to go off, though it's hard to say if that's a glitch or not considering they're slow-moving and unguided). It definitely is fun, and it's nice to have just a big dogfight (with proper VO ambience!) to fly around in.

A few more specific comments: I hadn't played Diaspora in a while, until I got my new joystick a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure if this is a game thing I didn't encounter when I replayed the campaign or something specific to the mission; what's the deal with me being knocked into a tumble and that shrill real-airplane warning alarm going off? I almost had a heart attack the first time, and it seems to happen every playthrough (that may be my fault for flying so close to ships that are exploding). Some of the times it's happened has led me to believe it might be some sort of scripted event.

A couple of times, I've seen the third Baseship is all-but-destroyed and jumps out. I'm not sure if it actually hit 0%, but it does trigger the "The basestar is breaking apart" audio clip simultaneously with the "The basestar has jumped away" message. I get the objective failed box, but I think the mission recap at the end also mentioned that it was destroyed, so I'm not sure what's being counted and what isn't.

When I take off as a Raptor, one of my squadron mates behind me rams into me every single time before I clear the flight deck, and I'm pretty sure it's before I have control of my throttle or direction.

I've only actually lived long enough to land once, as a Raptor. I got the "Skids down" message and the mission ended as it should've, but my ship didn't actually lock into place.

Nightstorm:
The alarm is something custom I added.  Three different ones for when your hull integrity drops to 75 - 50 - 25%  So yea, its supposed to be a bad noise :)

One of the objectives is to disable the FTL on all of the basestars.  They will jump away when they drop to critical damage.  I figure it was just coincidence that you got the "breaking apart" message indicating it was destroyed and it jumping.  One thing I like about this mission is that it's somewhat fluid.  The maneuvering of the ships is totally under AI control near the end after they've followed their pathing.

So random things happen.

I've not had the issues with the Raptors in my play through of those missions I usually clear the flight pod just fine.  I mostly fly the viper missions though.  As far as contributing to the mission, if you're flying a MKVII you're goal is to protect the assault vipers and raptors so that they can take out the FTL's and of course defend the Colonial ships.  In the later waves the nuke armed raiders can really mess up the cap ships.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version