Author Topic: Knossos Mission  (Read 13915 times)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Spoiler:
...and then you get a Ravana.

...and it keeps beaming me out of existance!
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Trebuchet it!

The Abel is actually a piece of cake...if you're ready for it.

Offline Madcat

I think the really mean part about the Lilith is that, despite that beam cannon being REALLY ****ING HUGE, it is somehow blocked by the ships structure when you face that cruiser from the front. I always have to dive under it in a very certain angle to get a clear shot and take out the cannon. This problem is not present on the Cain...

I have now beat the mission twice on Easy, both times with the Myrmidon, 2xKayser and full Trebuchet loadout.
1 Treb for the Cain beam cannon, 4 for the Lilith (because the first salvo never hits right), the rest for the Ravana.

I will wait for the voice acted version of the campaign to be released and then play it on Medium. :)

BTW, I finished the campaign yesterday for the first time (in one playthrough because I started again with the 3.6.10 version) and was totally blown away. Nice job on all fronts... the ending really hit me hard.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
With Kaysers?  Balors are the way to go for that mission.  Or Proms for range.

Offline Madcat

If I read that correctly in another thread, after the last rebalance the Balor has the same damage per second as the Subach, just a much higher rate of fire.
Prometheus would work too and is usually my other weapon of choice if I can't have Kaysers.

As for the energy consumption, I only press the button if I'm likely to score a hit, but I like that hit to be as devastating as possible. I'm not likely to score a hit at 1500 meters on a  moving target, and have a hard time keeping my aim perfectly directed on the target for a few seconds to apply full damage with a rapid fire weapon. Maybe it's easier for people playing with a mouse, I never tried that. Love my joystick way too much! :D

Also, as said so far I played on Easy. I might reconsider on higher difficulties... I went up to medium as of today.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

Which one? You had an Abel in one of the "Journey of a Thousand Miles" missions too... it was a Rakshasa IIRC.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
:wtf:

Spoiler:
...and then you get a Ravana.

...and it keeps beaming me out of existance!
Trebuchet it!

My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline NathanP

Diving under the lilith to get the front turret is not just restricted to BP, i've had to do it in SGWP2, retail, warzone and most other campaigns using the lilith.  2 salvo's of trebs usually does the job especially if you go for a fighter that can carry maxims.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I think the magic number is 3 Trebuchets per Lilith LRED, if you really need to conserve.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline PeterX

• Peter
I´d use a HercII armed with a pair UD8Kayser with a pair of GTW66Maxim as primary and all secondary banks with Trebuchets.
So i am able to destroy the beams on both Lilith,Cain and last but not least take off to destroy the beams of the Ravana in a long distance.
Peter
If i can´t model any ship then i use "flying trains" :-)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
3 Secondary banks on a Myrm will still carry enough to do it with no re-arm.  WIll also take off the two SReds on the top of the Ravana.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I've heard that suggested several times. I just normally don't want to fly the Myrm.

Thus, I tend to use the good 'ole Herc 2 with the Maxim, Kayser, a bank of 10 Trebs, and a bank of 400 Tempests. That definately is not the easiest way to win the mission, but it certainly will do it. Taking the Herc means you don't need to worry about the minor beams of the Cain; you can just blast them with the Maxim. The Kayser/Tempest combo will knock down fighters. The Maxim and the Tempests also work wonders against hostile cruisers. The Myrmidon just can't do those tasks at the level of competance the Herc can do them at. Making yourself fly the Kulas would be very cruel to yourself indeed...

The biggest problem with the Herc is the speed. Though that's glaringly obvious, it's really amplified by the ranges involved in the mission. Though distance is a thing of beauty in FS... a thing which most missions tend not to have... those glorious distances tend to work against you in this mission because of the range of the Lilith's beams. Getting into a firing position with your Trebs is not easy on the Lilith; even after you fire, it will still hose down the Sanctuary with a few more blasts from the main gun. I hate those things...

This mission is the perfect example for a mission that needs controls to automatically dump all power into engines/restore balanced power configurations.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If it weren't for the vulnerable weapons subsystem, I'd be all over the Kulas on this mission.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I never actually got around to flying the Kulas during AoA. Which reminds me... I need to start up a new thread...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I've never even bothered to use the Kulas. Ever. Simply because the Herc II can carry more stuff, and because I love shunting power in my ETS.

I would proclaim that I can make any Herc II I fly behave like a space superiority fighter, but that's wishful thinking. :)
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I've never even bothered to use the Kulas. Ever. Simply because the Herc II can carry more stuff, and because I love shunting power in my ETS.

I would proclaim that I can make any Herc II I fly behave like a space superiority fighter, but that's wishful thinking. :)

<Thaeris awards Androgeos Exeunt not only mad props, but MASSIVE PROPS!!!  :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:>

You sir, can be my wingman any time... or I'll be yours. I assume you've played FS more thoroughly, after all...  ;)

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Before you get carried away, you should also know that I've never played singleplayer beyond Very Easy difficulty, hence the "wishful thinking" bit.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I've never played singleplayer beyond Very Easy difficulty, hence the "wishful thinking" bit.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Before you get carried away, you should also know that I've never played singleplayer beyond Very Easy difficulty, hence the "wishful thinking" bit.

I couldn't resist...

Srsly though, I usually play on whatever difficulty level lets me have fun. Usually it's either Medium or Hard. Very Easy makes the AI ships move like they were piloted by a specifically retarded Derp Dog... and that includes your wingmen. But I don't especially enjoy having to run missions over and over and over again, so I rather move the difficulty one notch down and retry rather than pass the mission after five fails or keep running it with taste of blood in my mouth until I can complete it on the same difficulty as the rest of the campaign. :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
 :doubt:

I feel let down now. I felt Androgeos was a true member of the Brotherhood of the Hercules [Mk II]...

Now, I relegate thee to the position of Gamma 4!

Really, it's not personal.  :P

As far as difficulty goes, I try to keep it constant throughout the given campaign I'm playing. Currently I play at Medium; this doesn't bode well for one playing Transcend though, as no matter how awesome the Mk. II is, an 8-on-1 dogfight with a crappy loadout for that situation is a real killer...  :shaking:

As far as BP goes, anything is better than the Aurora, though.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke