Author Topic: Unable to run FS2 in Vista  (Read 3386 times)

Unable to run FS2 in Vista
I keep getting "Unable to get proper pixel format for OpenGL W32".  Am I missing some drivers? (UGH more driver issues)
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Unable to run FS2 in Vista
You must have the very latest drivers to run FSO on vista. The early OpenGL drivers were rather ****.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Nuts... well I'm out of the fs2 world for a while then....The ones I have (came with vista) are the latest.  It's an unsupported card.

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
You don't have XP?  From your old computer / installation?  IIRC, you should be able to dual-boot.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
Your absolutly sure you can't play with directX? I can play FS2 with either openGL or directX (in Vista).

You don't have XP?  From your old computer / installation?  IIRC, you should be able to dual-boot.

I ended up nuking it, the 180 eval version was nearly finished.

Your absolutly sure you can't play with directX? I can play FS2 with either openGL or directX (in Vista).
I forgot about Dx version, that one does run, albiet i think it's missing a lot of the up-to-date stuff.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
The DX code is old, raggedly and in horrible shape... but it does work.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

I ended up nuking it, the 180 eval version was nearly finished.

So, do you have a legal copy of XP Pro that you could install?  If you do, then what I'd recommend is to torrent a copy of XP Corporate SP2, and use that.  Then you don't have to Activate the darn thing.  And you can set regdone=1 in the registry to get Windoze update, and get set up ... let me know if you need help.

You must have the very latest drivers to run FSO on vista. The early OpenGL drivers were rather ****.

I take this to mean that there exist some OpenGL Vista drivers that actually work?
Where can I get these?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage

I take this to mean that there exist some OpenGL Vista drivers that actually work?
Where can I get these?

www.nvidia.com
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.