Author Topic: Games that wowed you  (Read 23069 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Games that wowed you
KOTOR2 wasn't finished - it was rushed out for the Christmas season. Thus the crap ending.

Offline Topgun

as a kid it was zelda ocarina of time and descent []. then came freespace and metriod prime.
still my favorite games to date, along with a few others.

I feel old.  :sigh:

The first game I played religiously was Super Mario Bros. I don't know if I can say it was a "wow!" game, but it was my first, so it's needless to say that it left an impression... 

Also, Descent. Descent really wowed me as a kid. The sheer size of the mines amazed me and kept me playing for hours. Though when I was that young the furthest I made it was level 11.  :p
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mikes

The first game I played religiously was Super Mario Bros.

That would be R-Type for me ;) hehe

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
Star Wars - Empire at War : For the space battles (especially with the ultimate-empire-at-war mod) (ground battles suck hard though)
Nexus - The Jupiter Incident : for everything (though the shields suck)
KOTOR 2 - for being KOTOR 2
Mass Effect - for storyline and gameplay (wouldn't you want a KOTOR with JK3-like battles? That'd rock)
Star Wars - The Phantom Menace : Great game! Fun to play, especially Mos Eisley
Jedi Outcast: Storyline, voice-acting, sabers
Rome Total War, Medieval 2 Total War - for epicness and being what I love
EMPIRE TOTAL WAR: for the feeling WTF THAT'S GREAT, and for the yell "MUM BUY ME A DECENT COMPUTER!"
Starcraft: I don't need to say why, huh?
Galactic Civilizations 2 - if only it had space battles in which you can command the ships... it'd be perfect
Homeworld - you know why
Homeworld 2 - for being shiney and for Star Wars mod
Grand Theft Auto Vice City - for being what GTA should be (screw u GTA4)
GTA4 - for Katt Williams, rag doll, interaction with city and phisics. (SCREW YOU ROCKSTAR AND YOUR ****IN DRMS)
Emperor: Battle for Dune - I loved that one :)
FALLEN HAVEN - http://www.mobygames.com/game/fallen-haven   SO GREAT! I LOVE IT !!!
Heroes of Might and Magic III - In The Wake of the Gods : For the great "Heroes-pizza-parties" :)
Assasin's creed - Storyline, cities, gameplay
FreeSpace 2 - everything
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles - just ****in amazing
X3 Reunion with X-tended Mod - I can just play and play and play it
Last but not Least : Mount&Blade - the only game which features you as a single person (you start as a lone knight and can build up your army, the conquer and so on) in which the countries actually Declare Wars, Sign Peaces and CONQUER TERRITORIES

Kthxbai
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline Roanoke

Operation Wolf... I remember playing that, back when we had MAME working. That's the one about like the secret commando insertion, and you swing through the trees and stuff, right?

Operation Wolf was an arcade game where you point a gun at the screen a'la Time Crisis, House of the Dead etc.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Journeyman Project 3
FreeSpace 1
Descent 3
Quake2 (Was da **** when it came out :P)
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I played FS1 after FS2 and it's save to say it was one of the most disappointing games I ever played at the time.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
most recent wow for me has been RFactor car race sim , just the level of detail and the user made mods and how good the AI is in it...

the car models and how they react is really good and it has no arcade mode which is even better

i think that this game will force me to buy another hard disc as a total instal todate would be way over 60gb....;

just need to convince my girlfriend that i really neeed a logitech G25 racing wheel setup now ..

better start the washing up
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
There's also Sins of a Solar Empire, not so much "wow" as being a gem in the genre.

Assassin's Creed was also pretty good, some parts were too repetitive, but the good gameplay made up for some of it.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
I played FS1 after FS2 and it's save to say it was one of the most disappointing games I ever played at the time.

HERESY! BURN HIM! BUUUURRRN HIIIIMMMM!!  :mad2:
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

HERESY! BURN HIM! BUUUURRRN HIIIIMMMM!!  :mad2:

I totally agree with Vidmaster.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 07:44:31 pm by General Battuta »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I sometimes argue with myself which FS game gives the impression of a more "mature" military force.

I usually tend to come down on the side of FS1. This maturity reflects itself in comparative lack of drama to FS2.

It also makes for amusing contradictions in the relative intelligence of the GTA and GTVA.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Isn't military history (including modern military history) utterly full of drama? Of an absurd, personal kind not usually seen in either Freespace?

I mean, look at the clashes of personality. Look at Halsey's breakdown in response to Nimitz's 'the world wonders' communique.

Or, heck, the kind of petty squabbles and absurd fights that happen in any infantry unit or between officers in any chain of command.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
FS1 has lots of plot holes, many even apparent to the casually listening player ("investigation of the Lucifer at Antares", I just thought what the **** did I miss out on a mission or what"), some really bad mission design, lots of logical errors (three jump points only a puddle jump away from each other in Exodus for example, THIS IS SPACE!!!) and just a real lack of drama. And highlights were mostly missing.
It really sells the desperate feeling during most of the plot but that's about it.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Isn't military history (including modern military history) utterly full of drama? Of an absurd, personal kind not usually seen in either Freespace?

I mean, look at the clashes of personality. Look at Halsey's breakdown in response to Nimitz's 'the world wonders' communique.

Or, heck, the kind of petty squabbles and absurd fights that happen in any infantry unit or between officers in any chain of command.

True, but I have to work with what I'm given in this context, which isn't terribly much but can be fairly illuminating.

FS2 GTVA shows symptoms of poor discipline (the whole "I can live with being a pawn" thing) and a seriously fractured command structure (people are clearly working at cross-purposes in several missions), but they never distingrate to the point where they don't have a plan and aren't executing it. FS1 GTA has relatively higher discipline and a much more unified command structure (with unified objectives), but fell down on the "do we have a plan, do we even try to have a plan" part when faced with the Lucifer.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
They had no plan when Lucy showed up because it was an incredibly powerful ship that was also invincible. How do you make a plan for killing something that can't be killed?
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline mxlm

You run an asteroid into it. You run a destroyer into it. You hide a bunch of Meson bombs in asteroids. Whatever. Even if what you try doesn't work, at least you're trying something.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
You run an asteroid into it. You run a destroyer into it. You hide a bunch of Meson bombs in asteroids. Whatever. Even if what you try doesn't work, at least you're trying something.

No weapon in the GTA or PVN arsenal could put a dent in the Lucifer? Did you miss that brief?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
They didn't have Meson bombs at the time of the Great War, either.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]