Author Topic: Space Marine  (Read 24135 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Bonus points if he was a Noise Marine.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Of anine mecha, the one that I can think of fitting in with WH40k would probably be this one:

and which anime would that be from? not all of us are that well versed in anime.

Vision of Escaflowne.

I think it kinda fits, as it's a mix of sci-fi and fantasy, and hte way that mecha works is sufficiently Grimdark. It's powered by a heart of a dragon (which one has to kill) and the pilot makes a blood pact with it, becoming linked with it...with some very bad possible consequences.
Also, the way it's controlled makes very much sense.

take a looky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ZZiiwrgZw
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

That thing has absolutely zero Gothic architecture to it.  It doesn't look grim, forbidding, imposing, or anything grimdark.  It certainly isn't Imperial.  If anything it looks vaguely Eldar to me.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It doesn't have to look gothic...but to be fair, the image doesn't do it justice. White aginst bluish background?

Half the things in WH40k didn't look gothic untill the AD started fiddlin with them.
The point is about it's workings..and it's kinda dragon inspired.
But it does have a eldar vibe in it's looks. Bone white...kinda reminds one of wraithbone.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Yeah, Pecenipicek, I got the stutters too. I noticed it happens most frequently when some rapid-fire sounds are taking place, usually your own chainsword or bolter or the lasguns.

It would fit the Eldar better if it was slimmer. It still has a slight human aura to it. I haven't seen Eldar walkers other than Wraithguard and Wraithlords, but they're almost always spindly, like literally just bones.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Yeah, Pecenipicek, I got the stutters too. I noticed it happens most frequently when some rapid-fire sounds are taking place, usually your own chainsword or bolter or the lasguns.
Yea. Try the storm bolter... good god, my ears -.-
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

*snip*
It would fit the Eldar better if it was slimmer. It still has a slight human aura to it. I haven't seen Eldar walkers other than Wraithguard and Wraithlords, but they're almost always spindly, like literally just bones.

Eldar macha also have those huge alien-like heads.

I'd post a grimm battle scene with escaflowne, but YouTube is blocked while I'm at work. So jsut this for now:

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
While the basic concept of a mech/knight wielding a giant fricken power sword and wearing a cape is 40Kish, the actual outward design of the suit in Escaflowne really doesn't suit the Imperium.  The armor just is not simple/gothic enough, Id expect something more along the lines of the Iron Giant as the base chassis, then slap on all kinds of purity seals, tapestries and gothic accents.  Escaflowne is just to much a jumble of fancy armor bits to be something that found its way out of a ForgeWorld.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I was taking about the concept.
It's not too hard to paint it black and add purity seals and all manner of gothic decorations.

Hm...to "warhamerize" things....that sounds delicious!

Offline crizza

Nah, it's not that easy...the Grey Knights Nemesis Dreadknight for example is very close.
All other things are blocky in Design...or sturdier....consider the 40k dreadnoughts, sentinels etc...Escaflowne would better fit the Eldar or Dark Eldar...

Finally got around to playing through it. 

It nails the Warhammer 30k world down pat.  The ending seemed like a downer at first...then I remembered this is WH30.  You could pretty much point at any random person anywhere and accuse them of being corrupted by Chaos, and have a 50/50 shot of them being guilty.  It's likely Titus is going to get burned at the stake, and at least reasonably possible that he will in fact deserve it.  Considering that heal heals from killing things, I'd at least check into any affiliation with the blood god.

As a game though?  When I preordered on steam, it came with a free copy of Darksiders and I thought it was a bad idea to give a free copy of Darksiders if you're basically making a skin for that game.  But a skin on Darksiders would've actually been better.  It's a very, very shallow game.  Move list in the pause menu is broken down by individual weapons, when "Hit attack 1-4 times, optionally hit stun, repeat" covered everything.  It rides heavily on the license, because it doesn't have anything else worthwhile.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Just got to my first ammmer' n' pack experience... 

Blessed be the Immortal Emprah for making Spess Mehrens so that I might righteously descend from the eavens' upon his foes and smite them with a giant Thunder Hammer.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Aye...Teh game does the universe justice. Everything feel right aestheticly - the armor, the sets, the buildings. Everything is pure WH40K. I also love the audio logs..they give the feel of the life of other people.

BUT...there is always a but...the Spehhs Marine.. doesn't feel Spehhs marin-ish enough. I wield a friggin thunderhammer, and I have to hit a Nob 10 times to kill it. With a THUNDERHAMMER. Meanwhile, he has to hit me 3-4 time with a rusty pipe to kill me??? And you're going to spend all your bolter ammo trying to bring that sucker down. Even a completley unarmored ork requires 4 bolter shots to bring down.
Weapons need MHOAR POWER. Double the power!

http://forums.relicnews.com/forumdisplay.php?296-The-Forgeworld-Space-Marine-Modding
There's already mods that bump up weapon damage.  Check out Majic's Space Marine Mod Workshop, and if that doesn't satisfy you, there are tools for you to make your own mods.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Way ahead of you man:

Phoenix Knights Chapter, reporting for duty!

:D :D :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:17:05 am by TrashMan »

Offline Cyker

Aye...Teh game does the universe justice. Everything feel right aestheticly - the armor, the sets, the buildings. Everything is pure WH40K. I also love the audio logs..they give the feel of the life of other people.

BUT...there is always a but...the Spehhs Marine.. doesn't feel Spehhs marin-ish enough. I wield a friggin thunderhammer, and I have to hit a Nob 10 times to kill it. With a THUNDERHAMMER. Meanwhile, he has to hit me 3-4 time with a rusty pipe to kill me??? And you're going to spend all your bolter ammo trying to bring that sucker down. Even a completley unarmored ork requires 4 bolter shots to bring down.
Weapons need MHOAR POWER. Double the power!
Totally agree :D

As for the but... if you go for headshots and executions they go down a lot faster; I had a load of them charge me and I just hosed my bolter left-right-left a few times at about head level and that took down a lot of them in 1-2 hits and exploding heads :D

As for the Thunder Hammer, yeah it didn't feel as mighty as it should do, but that's not a 2nd edition Thunder Hammer so I let it slide (2nd edition ones ignored all armour saves and could only be wielded by Terminators as anyone else wouldn't be able to handle the weight and the concussive blast of the strike), but still I did feel each strike should have produced a lot more knockback.
As it is it just felt like a slightly heavier version of the power axe (Execution/stun moves not withstanding, as the ground strike does produce a lot of knockback :D)

You can take down Nobs a LOT faster if you can stun them and pull off the execution move tho', which is sooo easy with a thunder hammer.

TBH, I went back to the chainsword very quickly as it was much faster and the execution moves were so much cooler, esp. late-game vs daemons and chaos marines :D

I enjoyed it, but it's basically eyecandy (And such wonderful eyecandy!) and WH40k fanboy food; As a game it's totally shallow but a bit of fast-paced mindless action was a nice change to let me unwind a bit after Deus Ex 3!

The only other letdown was the final final battle; You fight through all that and you have to defeat the boss with quick time events?! It looked awesome but I felt a bit robbed after sawing so many daemons and chaos to bits.

One thing I would love in a sequel is a cross between this and the Republic Commando squad mechanic. Republic Commando was great :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 03:19:26 am by Cyker »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Earned the Thunder Hammer in multi.  Assault Marine with Hammer n' Plas Pistol plus the Vengeance and Impenetrable Perks is pretty brutal.  Still have to worry about Tacticals ready to melta your face but otherwise its pretty good loadout, I was pretty consistently earning on or near the top of my team.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Next Relic game should be "Imperial Guard"!
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Where's the fun in that?  Your average Imperial Guardsman has a life expectancy of about 10 seconds on the front lines.  They could however put the player in charge of a squad of Stormtroopers or Kasrkin Republic Commando style, which would be simply awesome.