Author Topic: Computer voice?  (Read 7977 times)

Ok I just downloaded a few missions , like Homesick and Aeos-affair, and I found out that I totally hate Microsoft Sam, are there any others out there that will work with Freespace?
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

Offline neoterran

The best voice is AT&T Labs' Natural Voices : Crystal 16Khz version 1.4. It's far better than microsoft Sam. If you prefer a male voice (female is better most of the time, trust me) use AT&T Lab's Mike.

However, in January, when Windows Vista is released, there will be a new engine, SAPI v. 6.0.

It's much more advanced than the currently commercially available voices. Microsoft Ana is the new voice, and she sounds' awesome in freespace. There isn't a male voice in the current beta builds of Vista, but there probably will be one by release.

Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Thanks, I'll try the ATT one.
I can't wait for Vista, I read the system requirements, and even the beta release won't work on this computer. Of course if I ever get another computer to play Freespace on it'll probally be vista.

Offline neoterran

you need a very fast (new) computer to run vista ideally. Otherwise XP is much less intensive and much of the benefit (XP is getting lot of handme-down technology from Vista anyway)
Chief Grognard.

Xp's a lot more secure too, and what parts arent secure, can be made secure real easy with aftermarket software designed of as far back as win 3.1 ona 486, but with all the hi tech you'd think they would have at least mad a voice prog that soundedlike a human being instead of a trashcan lid being hit with a pogo stick.

I'm still looking for a voice prog,  att wants too much for theirs. But when I find one theres another problem, LOL where will I put it. I'm thinking in the speeck folder  and then run it from the launcher.

Oh btw always remember for everything that costs on the internet, theres a site somewhere offering it for free :)

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
I'd go for the Loquendo TTS engine, if I were ya. 'Tis kewl.
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Hmm, should i google Microsoft Ana or just hit the micro$oft website?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Google it, the M/S website is like navagateing a Military data base.

Offline neoterran

you can't get M$ Ana unless you have vista - it's not available for download, as it requires the new SAPI engine (it won't work with XP or below)
Chief Grognard.

I've been checking around, I think Neospeech Kate beats AT&T Crystal.
What do you think?

http://www.neospeech.com/demo/demo_text.php
--VS--
http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

Offline neoterran

Those Neospeech ones are super good. I'd still wait for the SAPI 6 voices over SAPI 5.1 voices anyday, but that means you need vista. If you can't do that, then I think Neospeech is your best bet.
Chief Grognard.

Woops, I left out Loquendo which is also quite good.
http://www.loquendo.com/en/demos/demo_tts.htm

I have a couple of voices I could upload... 8)

It appears that TTS doesn't work in 3.6.9.7.9.  :( Hope it's fixed soon.

Also, the AT&T voices are huge, so I can see them causing slowdown while loading into ram on some machines.
Of course, I'm anxious to find out, just as soon as I find a build that works with TTS.

Offline neoterran

Woops, I left out Loquendo which is also quite good.
http://www.loquendo.com/en/demos/demo_tts.htm

I have a couple of voices I could upload... 8)

It appears that TTS doesn't work in 3.6.9.7.9.  :( Hope it's fixed soon.

Also, the AT&T voices are huge, so I can see them causing slowdown while loading into ram on some machines.
Of course, I'm anxious to find out, just as soon as I find a build that works with TTS.

Karajorma's 12/13 build (on these forums somewhere) has it built in.
Chief Grognard.

Yes it does, but it also gives me a small problem during the intro, don't know why, so I've been using the light test build.

Do I have to buy AT&T-Voices? On the homepage thereĀ“s only a demo...

Karajorma's 12/13 build (on these forums somewhere) has it built in.

When you say built-in, what do you mean?  Do we still select a voice in the Speech tab?

Offline neoterran

When the build is compiled, it has to have support for voice rec and/or voice synthesis turned on (compiled with it).

To save time, some people who build don't bother to "turn it on" or compile support for those when they compile the build.
Chief Grognard.

To save time, some people who build don't bother to "turn it on" or compile support for those when they compile the build.

Ahh.  Gotcha.

Also, in the launcher (I'm using 5.5) you can go to the "Features" tab, "Troubleshoot" list type and check "Does this build have speech?" and when you launch it will tell you whether it's enabled in the build or not, which can remove doubt as to why speech isn't working.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Is there anything out there that forms a passable impression of a Vasudan voice? :p