Author Topic: Help: how to get BP running again?  (Read 1403 times)

Help: how to get BP running again?
I haven't played FS2 or BP in years. I still have it installed, but when I try to play it, the game crashes when it tries to load any mission at all.

So, I figured I'd need to get an updated version of FSO and BP...but I'm only getting more confused on that front. First, there's a topic about the 2020 build of FSO not working with BP. So I go to the 2019 build, but there's apparently a 19.+ out there, but the thread only lists the 19.0, I think? And I don't know if I used Knossos before, but that requires deleting an existing folder for it to work...and then there's the BP compatability package, which needs two different files, and the links to one of those files is dead. And the 2014 mediavps apparently don't work with BP anymore?

I'm just very confused and would like some straightforward, easy instructions that can work from a simple existing FS2 install. Any help would be appreciated.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Re: Help: how to get BP running again?
We need a clear guide on how Knossos works and how to use it because this kind of thing keeps on happening to people, I don't even understand it all that well.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

So...uh...can no one help?
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
This thread may-or-may-not-be useful: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=95876.0

Sorry, I'm not the Knossos expert guy, but I think that some newer nightly builds should work with BP. I think. .

You could ask on the HLP Discord server, I've been told that people are more active there then here. .

Also if your threads aren't getting answered, don't be afraid to send a PM to someone who knows this stuff.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Okay, I just downloaded Knossos and decided to disregard all of the stuff about compatibility and versions. And, apparently, it works. Which is highly confusing, to be honest.

Still, thank you for the help, DefCynodont119. I'll keep that in mind for the future.
Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
We need a clear guide on how Knossos works and how to use it because this kind of thing keeps on happening to people, I don't even understand it all that well.

A guide for Knossos would look like this: Install Knossos, follow the on-screen instructions, install mods, click Play. The Explore tab lists available mods. The "Install" and "Update" buttons do the obvious thing. Installed mods are listed under Home and can be launched through the Play button. The Modify entry in the mod's dropdown allows you to install/uninstall parts of the mod. The Uninstall entry in the same menu uninstalls the mod. If you click on the button "Installing... x%" (which is only visible during mod installation) you get more details on what Knossos is doing during mod installation.
There's a bunch of additional functionality but that shouldn't matter to users who just want to play mods. There's also a guide which explains how uploading mods through Knossos works which is linked in Knossos' release post.

Okay, I just downloaded Knossos and decided to disregard all of the stuff about compatibility and versions. And, apparently, it works.
That's how it's supposed to work. Knossos automatically takes care of the dependencies and compatibility so you don't have to worry about it. Just install the mods you want to play and play them.