Author Topic: Dungeons  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Interesting looking Dungeon Keeper 2 clone coming out early this year, looks interesting, the emphasis is more on creating things to attract heroes than the actual minions of your dungeon if the write-up is anything to go by, but it still will be interesting to see how turns out.

My only concern at the moment is that the in-game shots in the video seem a little... jerky, but that may be simply a mixture of compression, capture software and the fact that the game is still in development.

http://www.dungeons-game.com/

Edit: There's also a nice preview of it here:

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/dungeons/445/preview.html
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:50:00 pm by Flipside »

Offline Mikes

Dungeon keeper was such a great game...   not just because of gameplay, but also because of the hilarious humour.

The moment i heard of dungeons i started to dread a cheap clone without personality trying to make a quick buck of Dungeon Keeper nostalgics.

Am i being a cynic or a realist? lol.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
the trailer looks good graphically and trying to keep a sense of humor
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Well it's not DK, but that review makes me want to know more.

I'll be on the watch for the release :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I'm  a little unsure about the gameplay, since this time you have to please heroes, and not monsters. I liked building my secure dungeons, now somehow it gives me the feeling that I have to play in an open tunnel system than a dungeon. Still, I think I will give this one a try ;)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yeah, it looks like you can't turtle and then swarm the enemy with your vastly overpowered creatures, which was always fun.

And no, it's not cheating, it's sensible Dungeon Keeping, any evil warlord worth his salt would enjoy vastly outclassing their enemy :D

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I'll wait for a demo to hit the inet before I make up my mind but the screens and previews I've read so far make want to try it....

I liked building my secure dungeons

Never played DK on a LAN-party then? - You learn to discard the idea of a secure dungeons
I remember ruining the dungeons of other players by simply spawning Imps and digging away large peices in their turf! (Most people didn't care about reinforcing their walls until late game - at least in the first match ;) ) - not only did traps become utterly useless but also the creatures would randomly walk off if there was nothing to do in their home dungeon; and hostile imps would spend hours caping the ground in the large caverns I created (effectivly neutralizing everything but ressource gathering ;) )

I was one mean kid ... once...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Just saw this game at my friend's house, a warning for all of you that might be thinking about getting it:

Not worth it, actually... it's almost pure CRAP, but that's just me talking.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That's a pity :( I thought it might be a mistake focusing on heroes, half the fun of DK was training up your minions and getting them better and more powerful spells/skills. Building stuff to attract heroes seems to be less 'Dungeon Keeper' and more 'Sim Dungeons'. Oh well, I'll wait and see what the overall impressions are before making a final decision.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yeah, I was expecting to see something that actually made me consider getting it, but I was let down by the game big time.

The most annoying thing I had to deal with was the fact that the game seemed to be an alpha version instead of a finished product, not because of the graphics and such... I couldn't care less about that, but regarding on the gameplay, player commands and stuff like that.

Of course I only played the first level and part of the second, but that was enough to make me decide not to get it, a real bump indeed  :(
el hombre vicio...

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/02/impressions-dungeons/

I think perhaps someone went in with erroneous expectations
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp