Author Topic: What do you think your ideal fighter(/bomber) would look like?  (Read 5054 times)

Re: What do you think your ideal fighter(/bomber) would look like?
Ever tried putting flak guns on a fighter? It's hilarious. You just rip through everything. I guess the fire rate is high enough that the fact that flak sucks against shields just doesn't matter.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Ever tried putting flak guns on a fighter? It's hilarious. You just rip through everything. I guess the fire rate is high enough that the fact that flak sucks against shields just doesn't matter.
Ever tried playing against a flak-equipped warship with an AI profile that disables the fire rate penalty? Flak doesn't suck against shields; it's just that retail doesn't let it fire fast enough to be a major threat.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Ever tried playing against a flak-equipped warship with an AI profile that disables the fire rate penalty?
Just turning the game's difficulty up to insane should get the fire rate close enough to its table value to notice that, yeah, flak are flippin' deadly. They'll kill you faster than a AAA beam if you aren't careful.

Anyway, my ideal fighter would be a serapis with actual armor and tighter gunpoints.

My ideal bomber would be the Nahema with GTVA-standard secondary capacity.

Special mention goes to the Athena for being naturaly awesome.

Flak is a bit different because even insane doesn't disable the random refire delay on the retail AI profile. For most weapons this means they fire near as makes no difference tabled rates, but flak has such a high firerate that even a 0.15s random delay effectively halves its firerate. At full tabled firerate a single standard flak turret will do 200 shield and 200 hull DPS. For comparison, the kayser does "only" 100 shield and 112 hull DPS, even a Maxim does only 177 hull DPS. So an Aeolus with 6 standard flaks becomes extremely deadly.

Mind you, even effectively halving that insane DPS doesn't make it not deadly, just not quite as ridiculous.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 04:41:54 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Yeah; since flak has a shockwave direct hits do double the damage you mentioned, 400dps for armour & shields. Ouch.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Well, yeah, but direct hits don't happen that often, unless you're fighting a warship. In which case standard flak does 6.25 the DPS of an SGreen and about half that of the BGreen. Yes, the Aeolus has close to the effective anti-warship firepower of an Orion's broadside of 3 BGreens, just without any finishing power since flak doesn't have the "huge" flag.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Blue Planet had a Dreamscape training mission where you were armed with a BFRed.  :cool:

*boots up FSO*

Incidentally: I meant your favorite craft, whether fighter or bomber, rather than specifically your ideal fighter and ideal bomber. Not that it matters in the slightest; I just...don't like people being unaware of things, I guess? Same reason why people leave comments on years-old Youtube videos correcting people, I suppose.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I like to go fast. Manoeuvrability doesn't matter so much to me if I can slam on the afterburner and exit a sticky situation at 250 m/sec. So my ideal would be something with crazy engines and afterburner top speed, banks that can take at least a handful of trebs for sniping and a bank of furies for close-up work, one bank for Kaysers, one for SDGs. Strong shields, hull doesn't matter so much.

That's me happy I think. :)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp