Author Topic: A Diagram of the Primary Hardpoint Placment of All Freespace Fightercraft  (Read 3012 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: A Diagram of the Primary Hardpoint Placment of (Almost) All FS2 Fightercraft
Also its not just a question of precision, I just can't stand oversimplifcation.

We don't all get what we want when we want it 😜
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Solatar

Re: A Diagram of the Primary Hardpoint Placment of (Almost) All FS2 Fightercraft
Nifty little resource, thanks for taking the time to put it together!

I don't think I realized how far below the center line the Erinyes' firepoints really were.

Fwiw, bank configuration matters in retail only on player ships as AI will simply fire with everything it has.

There's no point in seperating into precision and damage oriented fire banks (as there are no "special weapons" in retail and most mods for the Ursa), it simply goes between hitting and not hitting. An exception would be a ship that uses scattering ammunition to hit entire wings with, but there are very few of them (0 in retail).

Yes, it is. You are treating all firepoints as if they in a single bank - but most ships have two, in some cases three (the Artemis, the Bo-Bone, Toth and the Anubis being the only canon ships with only one).

First, that is not the data "as is".

Secondly, if you include bank information three archetypes for primary slots become evident in the data (precision, general purpose, damage).
I'm sure this is all very valuable information, but it's not under the purview of the diagram. The diagram is there to show positions of the gunpoints, which is exactly what it does. Your personal value judgements about them may vary, and it seems we disagree which is fine, but I'm not interested in discussing it at this juncture.

BTW, good job putting that diagram together. :)

Yeah, this is a cool resource :)

Don't let Orph3u5 deciding to be a *dick* for no reason whatsoever let you down.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
This is a very interesting diagram. Thank you Asteroth. Is there a way we could separate this between fighters and bombers, or between the three races? (Like separate diagrams)
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Absolutely, very easily. I'm going to add in FS1 ships today and then I'll separate them out, because it is definitely getting a little crowed.

Are you going to add them to the Wiki then? Would be bad to loose the to some forum thread.

I guess I need a log in? I dunno I've never tried to add anything to the wiki.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
If I recall it properly, it all started with Asteroth posting a screenshot on HLP Discord of how he, flying a Dragon, was just sitting stationary, getting shot at by a pair of Thoths that couldn't absolutely hit him with primaries because the bank is so widely spaced. Then a discussion ensued and well, he made this.

I don't really see a point in differentiating between gunpoints and banks, Athena's layout is very nice, Artemis absolutely sucks, Ursa's fine - you can't effectively use both banks together but the 3-point one is tight and easy for offset correction - and besides the Hercules and its 4-bank, the rest of Terran fighters/bombers are fine. On the other hand many Vasudan ships have Artemis-like primaries, and I think the only fighters with good primaries are the Anubis (bleh) and the Serapis with Seth following behind. At least Bakha and Sekhmet can hit stuff, though. And playing Trimurti made me believe that the only Shivan fighter with good primaries overall is the Dragon, and with Nephilim being something along the lines of Ursa.

Also, for this diagram I'm thinking that you could unite all primary and secondary points of all fighters on a single interactive "picture" - so, you know, a grid and then you get a list of fighters and banks you can enable to be seen on the grid. Also I'd suggest using larger symbols, these ones are kinda hard to read in my opinion.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I guess I need a log in? I dunno I've never tried to add anything to the wiki.

Just PM Goober.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wow this thread. I though 0rpheus had some interesting insight and it's the rest of you that are being a-holes about it. Shutting down discussion is how you cause dead forums. Real win here, guys.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Tone matters as well as language.
While Orpheus brought legitimate points to discuss and how to present a more accurate picture or better present the data, I don't see how the asinine pedantry he displayed would have led to a good discussion.
The gist of his initial post felt more like "you're wrong and a liar because X, Y & Z" rather than "I think it would be interesting to also include secondary gun points, and maybe differentiate between all three gunbanks because X, Y & Z".

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I did not read his initial post that way.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.