Author Topic: Ph3AR ME!!11 (system specs thread)  (Read 1888 times)

Ph3AR ME!!11 (system specs thread)
Originally posted by vyper
X2 is the dual core beauty isn't it?

Yes, yes, it is. Ive never bought a processor that has impressed me this much before.

@everyone I overcocked my vid card. Why get a GTX for like @150-200 more when the GT it basically the same thing when it comes down to core componets? I just open up rivatuner and make a few adjustments.... viola, GTX!

Here is what I payed for everything, just as a benchmark. Over and all I think I got pretty good deals on everything. I would have gotten the 4200+ but Ive heard such great things about the toledo core (overclocking etc) that I went ahead and paid the extra $70. Like I said: if you have the means I highly suggest suggest you get your hands on one of these new X2s.

X2 4400+ $540
DFI Board $149
BGF 7800GT $374

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Well, you probley have my new laptop overpowered, got it yesterday.

P4 3.0 GHZ
512mb of ram"not for long";)
X600 Radeon 256mb of ram

But, I can take mine with me.;7
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by MatthewPapa

Yes, yes, it is. Ive never bought a processor that has impressed me this much before.

@everyone I overcocked my vid card. Why get a GTX for like @150-200 more when the GT it basically the same thing when it comes down to core componets? I just open up rivatuner and make a few adjustments.... viola, GTX!

Here is what I payed for everything, just as a benchmark. Over and all I think I got pretty good deals on everything. I would have gotten the 4200+ but Ive heard such great things about the toledo core (overclocking etc) that I went ahead and paid the extra $70. Like I said: if you have the means I highly suggest suggest you get your hands on one of these new X2s.

X2 4400+ $540
DFI Board $149
BGF 7800GT $374
You got the extra four pipes unlocked?
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by MatthewPapa

@everyone I overcocked my vid card.

I bet that hurt.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The disabled quad on the 7800 GT can't be unlocked like the 6800. The number of active pipes is hardcoded into the core, so a workaround is unlikely to be found. I guess nvidia caught on to the unlocking thing. :(

Actually, I don't think the 7800 GT is that great of a buy when you're spending so much anyway, as the GTX offers substantially better performance for about $100 more. GTXs can be had for $470 now and the situation is quite different than it was with the 6800 GT and Ultra, where the Ultras were always basically ripoffs. I would have gotten a X2 3800 (on average, the Manchesters overclock just as well as the Toledos, although you got a really good one) and a GTX, which would yield much better gaming performance.

I bet that hurt.

lol :D :D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 09:06:23 pm by 296 »

Offline Grey Wolf

I would have gotten a Manchester and a 7800GT. But I was impatient. So my upgrade path is at a wall (My motherboard is based upon the K8T800 Pro chipset, which means I can actually upgrade my processor to an X2, but the only thing faster than my 6800GT that's compatible is the Ultra).
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I have a board with the same chipset and am in a similar situation. The X850XTPE is actually a good bit faster, but still wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to be worth the cost. I am just going to wait it out until the end of the year.

ATI had said a while ago that the X1800 cards would all be in AGP, but the specs have been more or less confirmed now and they don't look very impressive, although I will wait for the benchmarks.

Offline Grey Wolf

They're basically the X800 series on steroids.

Originally posted by CP5670
The disabled quad on the 7800 GT can't be unlocked like the 6800. The number of active pipes is hardcoded into the core, so a workaround is unlikely to be found. I guess nvidia caught on to the unlocking thing. :(

Actually, I don't think the 7800 GT is that great of a buy when you're spending so much anyway, as the GTX offers substantially better performance for about $100 more. GTXs can be had for $470 now and the situation is quite different than it was with the 6800 GT and Ultra, where the Ultras were always basically ripoffs. I would have gotten a X2 3800 (on average, the Manchesters overclock just as well as the Toledos, although you got a really good one) and a GTX, which would yield much better gaming performance.

Well I do a lot of encoding so the extra processor performance (ghz and cache) really pays off, otherwise I would have gotten the 3800+. I guess can always buy another 7800GT when they get cheaper and SLI them for a little extra life. However, according to the benchmarks Ive seen, the 4400+ outperforms the X2 3800+ by sometimes significant margins in singlethreaded apps and games. That is the primary reason I went 4400, I wanted dual core capability without sacraficing singlethreaded performance. Granted that the 3800's singlethreaded performance isnt bad, its just not as much as i need/want.

BTW this FX cooler that comes with the upper X2s is really great! My X2 runs cooler overclocked than my AMD XP did normally on a good day. Right now my mobo is like 10 degrees hotter than my processor which is rather odd, but I guess its good.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 10:10:10 pm by 2010 »

Offline Grey Wolf

That's quite possibly a miscalibrated temperature sensor.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

Well I do a lot of encoding so the extra processor performance (ghz and cache) really pays off, otherwise I would have gotten the 3800+. I guess can always buy another 7800GT when they get cheaper and SLI them for a little extra life. However, according to the benchmarks Ive seen, the 4400+ outperforms the X2 3800+ by sometimes significant margins in singlethreaded apps and games. That is the primary reason I went 4400, I wanted dual core capability without sacraficing singlethreaded performance. Granted that the 3800's singlethreaded performance isnt bad, its just not as much as i need/want.

BTW this FX cooler that comes with the upper X2s is really great! My X2 runs cooler overclocked than my AMD XP did normally on a good day. Right now my mobo is like 10 degrees hotter than my processor which is rather odd, but I guess its good.

oh, if you need to do encoding then yeah, the 4400 is probably a good option. There aren't really any major differences in games though. The processor tests are usually done at unrealistically low resolutions and only on average framerates to highlight the differences. It seems that framerates at video card limited settings peak around 2.2ghz on A64s and the cache gives another 1-3% boost overall.

I've heard good things about that FX cooler too. That's the one with the four heatpipes, right? It looks quite beefy especially for a stock heatsink, although it could probably benefit from a larger fan.

Like the sort of fan the XP-120 takes? :p
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

"You know what they say about the simplest solution."
"Bill Gates avoids it at every possible opportunity?"
-- Nuke and Colonol Drekker

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Something like this would be even better, as would be any 20" table fan. :D

Oh... my... ghod...

Now I wish I wasn't switching to watercooling. OK, so large fans are noisy, but DAMN do they look cool.

Come to think of it, the circular panel cutout on the side of the Stacker would probably fit that fan quite nicely.
'And anyway, I agree - no sig images means more post, less pictures. It's annoying to sit through 40 different sigs telling about how cool, deadly, or assassin like a person is.' --Unknown Target

Offline Grey Wolf

This is more along my taste:

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Oh... my... ghod...

Now I wish I wasn't switching to watercooling. OK, so large fans are noisy, but DAMN do they look cool.

Come to think of it, the circular panel cutout on the side of the Stacker would probably fit that fan quite nicely

yeah, big fans like that have a coolness factor to them. :D

You know, what is the purpose of that mesh screen? I thought it was for mounting exceptionally huge fans like that one, but it looks like there is only a slot for an 80mm fan in the center by default.

I think it muffles noise. Not sure though, because I haven't started actually building the system yet. Still waiting for my waterblocks and power tools.

Offline Grey Wolf

Damn. SPCR blocked my image link.