Author Topic: Aim Assist confusion  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Sp1d3r

Aim Assist confusion
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I'm sure someone will tell me if it isn't.
So I've been playing Diaspora: Shattered Armistice for a few days now and completed the single player campaign a couple of time and on different difficulty settings. The aim assist is great seeing as it's really really hard hitting those flat little toaster ships when they're moving away or towards you without aim assist.

But one thing that's boggeling my mind now is that I created a coop mission for myself and a friend and we tried it last night and the mission worked perfectly.
The player ships are exactly the same, the difficulty settings are the same for both of us, but for some reason I have absolutely no aim assist in the mission, but my friend has perfect aim assist. I tried emailing him the mission file and he hosted the mission, thinking that it might be a host thing, but still no luck. I was maybe hitting the enemy with 1 out of every 20-30 shots where my friend just had to aim in the general vicinity of the enemy and almost every single one of his shots hit.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening? Any settings, configs, anything that I can check to get this working?

Thanks in  advance for any replies :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Aim Assist confusion
Now that's interesting. Aim assist is meant to work on Easy and Normal only. It's quite possible that when it was added, the coder only checked what setting the local machine had, and not what the server is set to.

Was your friend on Easy or Normal while you were on Advanced or above?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sp1d3r

Thanx for the quick reply.
I was on normal, my friend was on easy. I also tried playing on easy with no luck. We also checked and ensured that the setting by the host for the mission was Easy as well. I play the single player campaign on Normal, and when playing the mission I created on normal the assist still works, it's just when we play in Multi that the assist decides to ignore me. Maybe it decided I'm too good to use it (it's lying :| I'm not that good a pilot)

I will check tonight and make sure my setting is on easy just for this, the server setting is on easy and then retry. I like the challenge, but it's really really really difficult to hit those Cylon ships without assist. I was just hoping there was something small or simple that I was missing.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Who was actually hosting the mission? If I can get some data, I'll look into this one tomorrow.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sp1d3r

Both of us tried hosting.
I tried first, and then had the issue. Then I emailed the mission file to my friend so he hosted and I still had the same issue. His aim assist works perfectly.
I tried about 10 minutes ago to clone and convert my single player pilot and then hosted the mission and joined alone and still had no aim assist.
I converted the mission to a singleplayer mission then my aim assist works fine.
This really has me confused.  :confused: