Author Topic: Multi Player  (Read 32779 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I saw it listed in the docs.  Does it work?  Doing some testing with FRED I tossed together a TvT (EA ships around B5) tonight but don't want to get into making them if they can't be used. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It should work.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I would do some multiplayer missions, if we manage to get support from http://fs2netd.game-warden.com ...
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Support isn't hard. You simply have to have missions and prove that people want to play them.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Nobody makes missions because there's no support. There's no support because nobody makes missions.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Vidmaster

that's the f*****g problem  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Vidmaster

OKAY, you know what? I'll fred some after FH2260. I want Fury dogfighting, especially since IFH multiplayer suffers from horrible lag and syncronisation issues and is even in LAN unplayable.

A deathmatch (around Liberty Port from FH2259), a TvT and some Vidmaster-style weirdness missions (Remember my idea with the Domination style fight for the GOD satellites?)  :cool: I'll take a look at the FS2 and BtrL missions and try something. Just one question: How to TEST multiplayer missions best?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It's not much of a problem. There's nothing stopping you testing missions using the standard FS2 FS2NetD server. It will complain about hacked tables but that's always the case during development anyway. BtRL multiplayer was developed when FS2NetD wasn't even working by playing LAN games. Simply having to click one warning away and remembering to label your server as TBP development and perhaps password it is rather trivial in comparison.

The only support you really need is validation of missions and tables and your own FS2NetD process once you've finished making the missions. But that isn't something you need until they're done.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 05:07:23 am by karajorma »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I'll get my first one tested and read to go tonight then.  Should be able to fire out a few more real quick.  Just change the loadouts and "borrow" some backgrounds for some more.   I recall it's not very hard to change a TvT into a dogfight either. 

Vid if my first mission tests out OK I can probably get you most of the Liberty Port death match tonight.  You can make whatever final tweaks you want.  Oh and for initial testing I just use 2 computers.  Advanced testing is harder since you need to find some "victims" online.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Shade

You could probably port the FS2 gauntlet missions to TBP simply by using search and replace to alter the ships and weapons. They're very uncomplicated, but good fun and so would make a nice addition for coop play. And given the number of different races in TBP, you could get quite a few missions out of that. I certainly would like to play the Minbari Gauntlet, or the NTC (Narn-Terran-Centauri) Gauntlet :)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Found one major problem.  The inferno build crashes in multi.  Regular build seems to work.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well my first TBP TvT and DF seem ready to go.  Let me know if you find any problems.

---Files moved to new location. ----

Added a NWTR style TvT.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 03:51:32 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Found one major problem.  The inferno build crashes in multi.  Regular build seems to work.

Yeah, the multiplayer fix for Inferno builds is only in HEAD and not in 3.6.9 branch builds.

Offline Vidmaster

since I would never dare to modify stuff made by somebody else without permission, I only SUGGEST the following changes:
- remove the disruptor for god's sake, it's the most lethal weapon against fighters AND you actually would have to ram your opponent to death, if you are not in a Badger
- remove the Aurora MKI, it's almost the same as the standart Aurora only a little bit weaker and with fewer missiles. Nobody is gonna choose that fighter!
- the sentence "AI kills do not count" in the mission briefing seems to be out of place, since the description of the mission already states NO AI AT ALL and the AI jump out immediately

no problems otherwise, but this doesn't mean much since I had nobody to play with

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
OK I'll take the disruptor and Aurora thing under consideration.  Anyone else have an opinion on these?  Maybe I'll limit disruptor to 1 per team or something.  Could remover them entirely from the dog fight.  I look at having the MK1 in there as an "if your stupid enough to fly it you deserve to get killed" player option.

I originally had AI in the TvT but they were so stupid they just killed themselves by running into B5.  I'll take that part out. 

Anyone here that would actually want a TvT with AI fighters? 

Offline Vidmaster

every player sends them out anyway (see BtrL) to reduce lag  :)

I can't seem to get the multi-player working.  :(

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
You have to play via IP address right now.  FS2netD does not support TBP.  Heck those might be the first ever multi player missions for TBP.  Reminds me I have to make those changes and get started on a few more.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Those 3 fixed and added a 4th:

More coming soon........

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 03:51:55 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Post your testing times ahead of schedule so people (me) can join in. Thanks.  :yes:
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.