Author Topic: A WoD dev blog  (Read 421363 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I mean we could have multiple instances of FSO. One is using FreeSpace 2, while the other runs something else.
I have literally no idea what you're trying to say or what relevance it has to this thread.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
And thus we march into march. oh poop, its almost my bday again, can someone stop time? I'm getting too old. And its time for yet another update on development. It's not going to be a long post, but a post it will be.

Development has been steady, some days progress is faster than on others, depending on motivation and willpower, but generally, something is done at least daily. The rough majority of reworking on episode 1 has been completed, though all of the polishing remains to be done. Episode two is coming along pretty well too, with 50% of the missions being done and some 20% of them being works in progress. There's still a lot of visual novel words to be written though. I'm not much of an accomplished writer, I feel good enough if I can get ~700 words on digital paper on a day. Additionally, the friend I rely on for doing editing of my words is currently busy with other work, so there may be some delays there.

I don't really know what else to write here, any questions anyone would like to ask instead? Now is your once in a lifetime chance to get possible answers from such an internet celebrity such as myself!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

So, chances for a soon release is dropping rather, right? Awww...

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
And thus we march into march. oh poop, its almost my bday again, can someone stop time? I'm getting too old.

What are you talking about? You're a 13 year old magical girl!
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer

On the other hand, chances for a Spoon release are right as planned.

[/****post]
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
On the last major post you mentioned four characters in progress for Episode 2. Were they existing characters from the original release or completely new for the remake?

Offline LoneFan

On the last major post you mentioned four characters in progress for Episode 2. Were they existing characters from the original release or completely new for the remake?
and will captain Rance and his naughty crew make another cameo.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
What are you talking about? You're a 13 year old magical girl!
True, true. I worry about nothing!

On the other hand, chances for a Spoon release are right as planned.

[/****post]

Both. Though considering a lot of the characters from oldwod didn't actually have a face or much of a personality, its only really the name that they share at this point.
And that number has gone down to just two characters, both of which are new characters. Once they're complete, WoD's cast will be some 19 characters (including minor roles).

and will captain Rance and his naughty crew make another cameo.
Unforunately, we were not able to negotiate a new contract with Sir Rance ):
Urutorahappī!!

Longer waiting time means expecting higher quality of course :D
Not that I'd seriously doubt that I would be dissapointed just to clarify

Offline Lorric

I forget the name of it, but will we see the card game again?

Offline yomi

Will we see Mizusu and Crystal next episode? :D

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Not outside of the one scene in episode 1

Will we see Mizusu and Crystal next episode? :D
Yes!

Urutorahappī!!

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer

Clearly, it is time to introduce Dawn no Tsubasa: the Tabletop RPG as a follow-up.

Cyrvans rolling d20s. What could go wrong?
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Lorric

Clearly, it is time to introduce Dawn no Tsubasa: the Tabletop RPG as a follow-up.

Cyrvans rolling d20s. What could go wrong?
I'm sure there's a meaning behind that second line, but I don't know what it is. However, plenty went wrong for the Cyrvans in my forum game when I was rolling dice for them, even though their fleet was JACKED they barely got to do anything.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Hey dude, you should upload to Knossos.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Does Knossos handle standalone mods?

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Does Knossos handle standalone mods?

By standalone do you mean one's that use custom SCP builds? It can handle just about anything, TC's, extensive mod dependencies, no dependencies, etc.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

And thus we march into march. oh poop, its almost my bday again, can someone stop time? I'm getting too old. And its time for yet another update on development. It's not going to be a long post, but a post it will be.

Development has been steady, some days progress is faster than on others, depending on motivation and willpower, but generally, something is done at least daily. The rough majority of reworking on episode 1 has been completed, though all of the polishing remains to be done. Episode two is coming along pretty well too, with 50% of the missions being done and some 20% of them being works in progress. There's still a lot of visual novel words to be written though. I'm not much of an accomplished writer, I feel good enough if I can get ~700 words on digital paper on a day. Additionally, the friend I rely on for doing editing of my words is currently busy with other work, so there may be some delays there.

I don't really know what else to write here, any questions anyone would like to ask instead? Now is your once in a lifetime chance to get possible answers from such an internet celebrity such as myself!

I have done some freelance book editing for S&S in the past (Dust and Shadow: an Account of the Ripper Killings, and Gods of Gotham). If you need someone to make sure the words on a page sound like the words of a hue-mone, and not just a splurge of red in a Word doc, PM me a page of writing and I'll send it back.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I might take you up on that offer, will depend a bit on cirumstances.
Thanks in any case  :)
Urutorahappī!!