Author Topic: Starshatter Downloads Page  (Read 149688 times)

Re: Starshatter Downloads Page
Got it. It was stupid of me. I used WinRAR to extract it and somehow it does not know the method 7z used.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
You tell me, pilot. I get 404 missing page error on the main package. If you could reupload it somewhere for me, that would be cool.
(or Google DNS can't find freespacemods.net anymore?)
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

You tell me, pilot. I get 404 missing page error on the main package. If you could reupload it somewhere for me, that would be cool.
(or Google DNS can't find freespacemods.net anymore?)
Still works perfectly for me.
Did you try the one on spacesimcentral?
That site seems to hate me because i have a very slow connection. So i'd bet it'll love you.
Also, are there any mods mirror other than spacesimcentral?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:16:44 am by jedi19941 »

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
No idea really. And got it downloaded thanks for pointers

Had to use the Spacesim link to download the full game.. the link here for the full game keeps getting to around 300MB and then "fails"  so may want to look at that link..

Also After I went through the directions on the first page, It played fine.. However when I go into the menu to select mods,  I see about  other names besides the Reborn mod.. 

content.dat
starshatterupdate.dat

Should I also enable those??

Also, just as an fyi, the "A matter of focus" mission is broken, as it isn't loading the ships for said mission.

Starshatter Source code available anywhere?
<I hope someone is still subscribed to this old threads and will actually read this...>

Hello guys!
It seems like the source code is no longer available at the repository http://starshatter-open.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ indicated in the thread "Getting the Starshatter source and compiling it".
I tried to do an SVN checkout from there and got:
Error: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 
Error:  'http://starshatter-open.googlecode.com/svn/trunk
Error: '/svn/trunk' path not found 
- while I do have a working SVN that successfully runs with other repositories.

I understand that it's been a while but, I was hoping that someone might still have some backup laying around on some old external HDD or something.

Why am I interested? Well I'm a game developer and I'd really like to familiarize with code of games outside of what I'm working on daily. Specifically games created by one person, and space simulators are my favorite genre too. I've been a fan since Starlancer came out in like 2000, then FreeLancer, then EVE Online consumed long 4 years of my life :-D
Then Star Citizen - a very promising project, yet one that's quite a bit overdue at this point...

Either way - I'd really love to familiarize with code of a game like this, and hopefully make something of my own! Hence asking for source code.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
Can someone reupload New Starshatter.exe download pack/contents please? I was looking forward to trying this old fun game again but that one link appears to be dead

EDIT:

I would be thankfull for the whole pack, actually, as for whatever reasons my connection to the current download server is very unstable and keeps cutting my download, preventing me from getting the file. A mirror of a kind. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:16:57 pm by procdrone »

+1 to the request of New Starshatter.exe

I've downloaded Starshatter _TGS_v5.05_Full.7z and SS_Reborn.7z without any issues however, so I'm suspecting there's some connection issue on your end... But if you can't get them by tomorrow I will upload to Google Drive and share the link here.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The download link doesn't work because Google Code went into archive status; you can find it here.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
+1 to the request of New Starshatter.exe

I've downloaded Starshatter _TGS_v5.05_Full.7z and SS_Reborn.7z without any issues however, so I'm suspecting there's some connection issue on your end... But if you can't get them by tomorrow I will upload to Google Drive and share the link here.

I was actually implying my own connection fault :) Ill wait for the mirror, thanks

Offline Matti

• Steam
Here's what you need to start playing Starshatter. First, if you haven't already, create a folder C:\Games. Now download the following files.

Full Game 521.04 MB
Download gets interrupted. Repeatedly. Recommended Free Download Manager says this:
Remote server closed connection

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Until it goes back up...

you can use the gamesupdates.org mirror.

EDIT: See, the thing about torrents is that it's almost impossible (it might actually be impossible!) to get a corrupt download.  Each piece of the torrent is verified as it's downloaded with the official hash, and discarded if it doesn't match.  This means if you get some corruption, it will only set your download back by maybe a few megabytes at the most. 

I recommend Deluge for a client to get that file.  Adjust your settings as follows:

Hidden Text: Show
During install, tell it to associate itself with magnet:// links also (available in Edit -> Preferences -> Other).
Open Deluge, and go to Edit -> Preferences, and in the Plugins section, select "Blocklist", then hit ok.

Restart Deluge (not sure if completely necessary, been a bit since I set it up).
Now, go to Edit -> Preferences again, and this time you'll also have an entire section labeled "Blocklist" down at the bottom. Click that, and paste the following into the URL section:
Code: [Select]
http://john.bitsurge.net/public/biglist.p2p.gz. Set your options here, I've set mine to: Import blocklist on startup, and to check for a new list every 4 days. Hit ok.

Check Edit -> Preferences -> Network, and be sure you have "Use Random Ports" for both incoming and outgoing, and all the network extras enabled, and Encryption enabled for inbound and outbound, level set to 'Either' (Full Steam is safer but can exclude some useful peers if they don't support it, as well as slowing you down a bit more), and also, beside the drop down, make sure 'Encrypt entire stream' checked.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:01:31 am by jr2 »

Managed to get the projects compiled with VS 2010, but it's failing the custom build step on 4 of the 8 projects, which is set to be:

copy /y "$(TargetPath)" "$(STARSHATTERPATH)\$(TargetFileName)"

Error   84   error MSB3073: The command "copy /y "C:\StarShatter_OpenSource_FromZip2\Starshatter\Release\Datafile.exe" "\Datafile.exe"
:VCEnd" exited with code 1.   C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets   183
Error   85   error MSB3073: The command "copy /y "C:\StarShatter_OpenSource_FromZip2\Opcode\.\Release\Opcode.dll" "\Opcode.dll"
:VCEnd" exited with code 1.   C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets   183
Error   86   error MSB3073: The command "copy /y "C:\StarShatter_OpenSource_FromZip2\Magic2\.\Release\Magic.exe" "\Magic.exe"
Error   87   error MSB3073: The command "copy /y "C:\StarShatter_OpenSource_FromZip2\Starshatter\\Release\Starshatter.exe" "\Starshatter.exe"

It seems that the paths generated from the environment variables are being unwrapped incorrectly, and replacing the custom build step with hardcoded absolute paths succeeds that build:
copy /y "C:\StarShatter_OpenSource_FromZip2\Starshatter\Release\Datafile.exe" "C:\StarShatter_OpenSource_FromZip2\Datafile.exe"
But - where should these files actually be copied for the solution to link further?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Error   84   error MSB3073: The command "copy /y "C:\StarShatter_OpenSource_FromZip2\Starshatter\Release\Datafile.exe" "\Datafile.exe"
So, I take it you haven't defined a STARSHATTERPATH environment variable.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Thanks, that was indeed the case, but I went around the environment path by just putting direct paths into the buildstep. I.e.:

copy /y "$(TargetPath)" "C:\StarShatter_OpenSource_FromZip2\Starshatter\Debug\$(TargetFileName)"

Although - is that the correct place to put the files into? In other words - which filder is the $(STARSHATTERPATH) supposed to point to?

But, even without that, I got everything to compile, but the final Starthatter_D.exe is failing to link, seems like due to nGenEx.lib. Due to lots of unresolved externals. Here are a few out of the 42 unresolved externals. Seems that most are either on key input, or windows-UI-drawing functions:

Error   88   error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__wsprintfA referenced in function "public: bool __thiscall Font::Load(char const *)" (?Load@Font@@QAE_NPBD@Z)   C:\StarShatter_OpenSource_FromZip2\Stars45\Font.obj
Error   89   error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetAsyncKeyState@4   C:\StarShatter_OpenSource_FromZip2\Stars45\ngenex.lib(Game.obj)
Error   90   error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetAsyncKeyState@4 referenced in function "public: virtual void __thiscall KeyDlg::ExecFrame(void)" (?ExecFrame@KeyDlg@@UAEXXZ)   C:\StarShatter_OpenSource_FromZip2\Stars45\KeyDlg.obj
Error   91   error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetAsyncKeyState@4   C:\StarShatter_OpenSource_FromZip2\Stars45\ShipCtrl.obj
<...>
Error   100   error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__RedrawWindow@16 referenced in function "protected: virtual void __thiscall StarServer::UpdateWorld(void)" (?UpdateWorld@StarServer@@MAEXXZ)   C:\StarShatter_OpenSource_FromZip2\Stars45\StarServer.obj
Error   102   error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__TextOutA@20 referenced in function "public: virtual bool __thiscall StarServer::OnPaint(void)" (?OnPaint@StarServer@@UAE_NXZ)   C:\StarShatter_OpenSource_FromZip2\Stars45\StarServer.obj
Error   103   error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__BeginPaint@8 referenced in function "public: virtual bool __thiscall StarServer::OnPaint(void)" (?OnPaint@StarServer@@UAE_NXZ)   C:\StarShatter_OpenSource_FromZip2\Stars45\StarServer.obj
<...>
Error   125   error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__CreateWindowExA@48 referenced in function "public: virtual bool __thiscall Game::InitInstance(struct HINSTANCE__ *,int)" (?InitInstance@Game@@UAE_NPAUHINSTANCE__@@H@Z)   C:\StarShatter_OpenSource_FromZip2\Stars45\ngenex.lib(Game.obj)

Seems like one step away from having the solution succeed! Any help where I can get those externals from? Are those WinAPI headers or what?

Alright, I finally got the whole solution to build! The "Stars" project was missing quite a few WinAPI libs in the Linked Dependencies which had to be added...
Now, how can I launch the game? It doesn't seem to have any data files, and, sure enough, first thing upon startup it complains:
> Cannot open "shatter.dat"

Are we supposed to just copy those files from pre-built (normal, retail game) installation?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Here's a new mirror: https://dev.tproxy.de/mirror/starshatter/
I got the files from the linked torrent which still works.

Maybe a mod could update the first post since FSMods is gone?

Anyone have an updated link to download the full game?