Author Topic: The Blue Planet Oracle (full BP2/3 spoilers within!)  (Read 140645 times)

Offline qwadtep

Re: The Blue Planet Oracle (full BP2/3 spoilers within!)
e: Also, isnt existence for existence' sake supposed to be the driving purpose behind us and everything else alive on this planet?
More or less. That said, it's a question that philosophers have been struggling with for thousands of years.

Bringing it back to BP:

As I recall, Steele started his career as a fighter pilot. He was injured as a member of the 99th Skulls during an attack on a Shivan supply convoy during the Second Incursion, then immediately switched to command track and climbed the ranks to Admiral.

What actually happened? I don't buy SOC casually handing out medals for botched freighter hunts.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I don't buy SOC casually handing out medals for botched freighter hunts.
Er... what botched freighter hunt? He was injured in the course of completing a successful mission, as the record clearly shows.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline qwadtep

Er... what botched freighter hunt? He was injured in the course of completing a successful mission, as the record clearly shows.
I'm being facetious. Valuable SOC units being risked on meager supply raids? Either it was a slow day at Command or that mission was a lot more valuable than the public record implies.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
I think that's an oversimplification. "Endless cognitive growth is at least in certain cases disastrous" is more true, much like "burning increasing amount of fossil fuels is disastrous."

Aha, I gotcha. Makes more sense now.

I'm being facetious. Valuable SOC units being risked on meager supply raids? Either it was a slow day at Command or that mission was a lot more valuable than the public record implies.

I think it's not a stretch to say that the SOC doesn't conduct supply raids in order to destroy said supplies but in order to capture them. They've got to get their SF Maras from somewhere.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
They also write "supply raid" on medal nominations so they don't have to tell everybody what was really going on  ;7

"Steele was nominated for this medal after a daring raid against a weather balloon"

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Is Steele FS2 Alpha One?

Kovacs drops clues that he might be FS1 Alpha One, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Esmar al-Fadil is a more likely candidate, if FS2A1 didn't die in the supernova.

If the Shivans were to refer to themselves as a single english word roughly meaning a group of individuals (such as commune, or family or association, like how Humans refer to themselves as an 'alliance' or the Vasudans as an 'Imperium'), what word would they use?

They wouldn't, but I posit that the Hobbesian phrase, "state of nature" would apply.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
A "murder"
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline emark4

Not sure if this was already touched upon but...

Its been like around 3 to four years since WIH 2 came out. Now, I can imagine progress is slow cause of real life stuff. Im just wondering, is there anything on the technical side of things that is also holding WIH act 4 & 5 to be released?

Also, I am unsure of the significance of that Vasudan transmission Noemi got from the vasudans.  That part im really confused...

BP is a lot of work and the devs have lives (I think one's a doctor now).

The transmission from the Pesedjet contained schematics that let the Fedayeen hook CASSANDRA up to the wider Nagari network, allowing UT2 to happen.

Offline emark4

BP is a lot of work and the devs have lives (I think one's a doctor now).

The transmission from the Pesedjet contained schematics that let the Fedayeen hook CASSANDRA up to the wider Nagari network, allowing UT2 to happen.

I aware that RL is important too (didnt know one of em is a doctor) though i was talking about the technical side of things, problems with the current FS  open build, just curious.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
There are no real technical obstacles, though improved perf in big missions is always dope.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Is Laporte a relative of FS1A1 / is Nagari sensitivity hereditary?

What was threatening the Orion Arm arteria to such an extent that it necessitated 100 Sathanas class juggernauts to form a uh, Transabyssal Connection?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:10:57 pm by Hellstryker »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No, and it was the GTVA's pressure which gave the Shivans the reactive impulse which the anima hijacked to build the transabyssal connection in Capella.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Sorry, suppose I didn't word my question clearly enough. What I was asking was why was the transabyssal connection formed in the first place? The Sathanas fleet was there due to the GTVA, but the connection was formed in response to something else.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I think he is saying that the shivans built the bridge as a response to the GTVA. 

What is the specific effect that the anima is trying to accomplish by building the connection?