Author Topic: BETA RELEASE: Wing Commander Saga for FSO  (Read 42909 times)

Offline CT27

Re: BETA RELEASE: Wing Commander Saga for FSO
I'd like to confirm one thing:

We put the "hermes core" file stuff directly into our FS2 folder?
I ask because I've always been told you never put campaign/mod stuff into the main FS2 folder...only into the campaign subfolder.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
The hermes core 7z has a subfolder called Wing Commander Saga in it.  If you extract that 7z into your FS2 folder all the files will go into that subfolder.  You can also use Knossos and not have to worry about how and where it needs to be installed! :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Well, since this is a TC, you could put everything in a completely separate folder, extract FSO there and then make a new wxLauncher profile, if you're still using that.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline CT27

The hermes core 7z has a subfolder called Wing Commander Saga in it.  If you extract that 7z into your FS2 folder all the files will go into that subfolder.  You can also use Knossos and not have to worry about how and where it needs to be installed! :)

I only have the Installer right now on my computer.  Can I have Knossos on there too?  (I.e., I know I don't use both at the same time, but will both being there be a problem?)

I have WCS in a folder and being used by wxLauncher with no problems. I also have Knossos installed and it works there as well

At least I can now play this TC with all axes recognised on my joystick (thanks to SDL).
Nice work ;)

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
This is an intriguing development, to be sure.

I admit that I have a weakness for Wing Commander things, so seeing Saga given a new lease of life means happy thoughts in my book.

Can you ask somewhere, if the WCSaga Deutsch Team is interested to make a Knossos compatible release of their translation? I think that would be nice move, because i also have released my translations on it (except for BtA, because i am still working on a new major release) :).

I'm not sure whether or not Luke, the leader of WCS Deutsch and WCS Plus, is here on HLP. But he can be contacted over at wcnews.com, wingcenter.net and wcsaga.org. :)
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev

Any reason why hermes effects are not packed into VP? :nervous:

Offline Admiral Nelson

Effects can't be constrained in a vp, they have to live free... uh, link fixed....
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline CT27

Could this be put on the Installer or will it only be available on Knossos (or manual installation)?

Offline Admiral Nelson

Knossos or manual for now.  It's still beta.

Loving that this is still getting some attention.

Is the utter disinterest that your allies show the missile barrage in the 4th Vega mission with the Valkyrie squadron fixable or a result of the changes? They shoot one or two missiles and then stop completely.

Also on the convoy protecting mission following, the landing sequence doesn't want to trigger so the mission won't end. : /

Edit: I've tried twice now and there is no landing sequence but the standard fly in to the bay is also switched off so it is not possible to complete the Convoy Vega mission now.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 08:14:37 am by Chaotic Entropy »

i have the same problem as well

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Is the utter disinterest that your allies show the missile barrage in the 4th Vega mission with the Valkyrie squadron fixable or a result of the changes? They shoot one or two missiles and then stop completely.
I remember that mission was actually a lot easier when I played it on High difficulty rather than Medium, due to your wingmen's increased intelligence.  I don't know what it's like in the rereleased version, but you might try bumping up the difficulty just for that one mission.
i have the same problem as well
You probably should specify which problem that is, the landing one or the missile barrage one.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline Admiral Nelson

The missile barrage missions in the original never really worked right due to the retail bug which made missiles invulnerable for 25% of their lifetime.  I can look and see if there are some unexpected wingman orders in there. I'll check the convoy mission landing as well.

the missile barrage in the 4th Vega mission with the Valkyrie squadron

Also on the convoy protecting mission following, the landing sequence doesn't want to trigger so the mission won't end

The missile barrage missions in the original never really worked right due to the retail bug which made missiles invulnerable for 25% of their lifetime.  I can look and see if there are some unexpected wingman orders in there. I'll check the convoy mission landing as well.

Huh... I was not aware of that bug but that would explain why missile shooting missions are so incredibly annoying.

Offline Admiral Nelson

I pushed out a small patch on Knossos to fix some persona issues and the landing sequence in mission 9.