Author Topic: Ryzen  (Read 10463 times)

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Do you do anything but game? Ryzen.
If not, 7600k.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

If not, 7600k.

But Ryzen typically outperforms the i5 chips in gaming workloads.
7700k is what you would want to maximize gaming performance.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
For now, Intel retains single core performance.  However, the AM4 platform and the Ryzen CPUs themselves have a lot of optimization to do, whereas with Intel that's already been done.  So in the future, perhaps the Ryzens will overtake the i-series.  Also, Ryzen R5s and eventually R3s coming out, keep an eye on that (R5s have 6core/12thread and 4core/8thread, all unlocked, even lower prices, dunno about R3s yet).

http://www.pcgamer.com/amds-affordable-ryzen-5-cpus-arrive-april-11-starting-at-169/

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
That Linus clickbait. But while I don't really think that "test" is providing accurate info, it still may be a pretty good R5 and R3 price to performance prediction.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
If not, 7600k.

But Ryzen typically outperforms the i5 chips in gaming workloads.
7700k is what you would want to maximize gaming performance.

For the savings on the 7600k compared to the 7700k you can get a beefy CPU cooler and overclock that **** to 5ghz or above. The 7700k has a higher stock frequency but typically gets to the same OC speed. The only real advantage of the I7 is the 4 extra logical cores, which games don't tend to use.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the 7600K. Might wait and see what R5 reviews/benchmarks are like, but I'm not sure I want to wait that long.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
If you can't wait it is pretty simple on this point:

You will only game on your rig -> go for the 7700K
You will do other stuff too or like to multitask (that includes streaming your gaming) -> go for the Ryzen 1700

But honestly the early indications look like that the R5 1400 might become a real bang for the buck gaming CPU if it overclocks at least as well as the 1700.
Without overclocking one might even go for the 1600 for the extra two cores.
Habeeb it...

Offline Mito [PL]

There was a wave of videos on YouTube lately, all about Tomb Raider (IIRC) getting a Ryzen optimisation update and gaining about 30% more FPS...

I'd say that when things get a bit more optimised, Ryzen 7 should be performing at least the same as Intel's 7th gen i7 and i5. Oh wait, max clock speeds on a stock cooler without sweat.

Edit: Oh look, Ryzen 5 released and everyone is doing tests! For now, in games R5 = R7... Oh, and you can OC R5 to 4.0GHz!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:59:20 am by MitoPL »
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

If I were to build a new machine right now, in my usual $1000-1500 budget range, it would have a Ryzen CPU. From what I have seen and read, there just isn't a compelling argument for any of the CPUs in Intel's lineup (unless you consider 5% more FPS in certain gaming titles a compelling argument; I don't).

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Habeeb it...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
From what I can tell, Ryzen R5s are basically the way to go. Once developers have switched to ryzen-friendly compilers (there's a bug in VS 2015 and possibly earlier that causes them to emit code that hits one of ryzens bottlenecks pretty hard), they're going to be pretty much on par with 7k-series Intel chips; it's notable that amd's guidelines on how to get the most out of Ryzen are very much x86 programming best practices.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Until Paradorks games start using more than 1 core, I'm probably going to stick with my super-overclocked I5 k.
When they do, though... Late-game empire at playable timeframes here I come!

On similar logic I can't see AMD ever making inroads into the Dwarf Fortress player market.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
On similar logic I can't see AMD ever making inroads into the Dwarf Fortress player market.

there seems to be a lot of overlap in the esoteric strategy games that only use 1 core market

Offline Mito [PL]

I am wondering - all these benchmarks are fine and all - but has anyone actually benchmarked these CPUs on Linux? :nervous:
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Mito [PL]

Well, I am not so familiar with these methods, however this still looks very impressive! :yes:
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.