Author Topic: SB Taurvi WIP  (Read 50526 times)

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 06:33:06 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Why wouldn't those tubes be realistic?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Kolgena

Yeah. The other thing they could be are holes in a grill, and although that'd "be pimpin", I'm sure most people here would prefer missile tubes.

However, Max has a point. No shivan bomber holds 26  bombs. Perhaps convert portions of it (especially those that the tubes don't fit will into) into missile racks for hornets?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
you sure? I'm not that into those missile tubes, but hey.. it's your model and I'm sure it's gonna end up being a fabulous bomber.

el hombre vicio...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I think, before anybody slings about whether or not the number of missile tubes is realistic, should take a damn hard look at the POF (Retail or MediaVP) 'n' sthu.

He's got the right number and about the right placement for the firing points.

Whether they be tubes or triangles is irrelevant and up to the modeler, as they are featureless red blobs in the original texture.

Carry on, BrotherBryon.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Narvi

You might want to maintain compatibility with the mediavps shivan missiles.
Missile tubes have no effect as the missiles spawn in front of the ship.

Design compatibility. As in, "oh, those missiles look like they would come from those ports".

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
You are aware that the missiles don't have to fit perfectly in the "tubes" don't you? It's space
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Kolgena

Narvi, we had similar discussions when we were talking about the Hi-poly Ulysses. The game's missiles are too diverse in size to have any one-size-fits all tubes.

So, I say just go with the ones we have already. No one will notice unless they have monstrous high-def screens or are getting shredded for being inches away from the front of one of these.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
It's space

...is a lulz justification for

You are aware that the missiles don't have to fit perfectly in the "tubes" don't you?

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 06:32:59 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Looking at the retail POF, the missile points do correspond to the glowing lights. I think it's safe to assume that they were intended to be...some form of missile-launching area.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
It's space

...is a lulz justification for

You are aware that the missiles don't have to fit perfectly in the "tubes" don't you?

Hehe I know, but really, missiles in space wouldn't need tubes at all. My point being, if it is gonna have "tubes", atleast make them look sexy and fit with the rest of the design
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I just want it to look cool, FreeSpace pisses in the face of physics anyway.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Though the cutscene isn't reliable, I assumed that Shivans generate their missiles. Keeps the model simpler, too.

Oh, I agree with Raven on this statement:

My point being, if it is gonna have "tubes", atleast make them look sexy and fit with the rest of the design

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
BrotherBryon, please do keep in mind that the retail Taurvi only had 24 missile 'pods'.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Playing around with some triangular missile tubes. Although they are less like tubes and more like recessed firing points now. Saves a butt load of pollys too.

By brotherbryon at 2009-06-15
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Much better.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I can't tell whether it looks better or not, but I kinda think that you could do entirely without the tubes. The first page sample looked better than the rest to me. Of course, it's your choice. Actually, after thinking about it, it might actually look worse triangular.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I can't tell whether it looks better or not, but I kinda think that you could do entirely without the tubes. The first page sample looked better than the rest to me. Of course, it's your choice. Actually, after thinking about it, it might actually look worse triangular.

I'm inclined to agree, actually...
Leave the textured dots as textured dots.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Ehhh... I don't know.

Part of me thinks it's weird, and part of me thinks it fits the overall Shivan design style.  I'm inclined towards the triangular tubes.  Works better with the contours of the ship.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”